Best Synthetic

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Radman, one question... Will the Toasted Coconut flavoring increase my gas mileage or adversely affect valve guide wear? How about getting those tough, hard to clean skid marks outta my shorts caused by laughing so fucking hard at these responses to Mr. I've Got 40 Years Of Riding Experience, Wadda You got, Kid? and his Dickwaddian responses - will it help there, too?

"Charlie don't surf."

"Snnnnnnniiiiiiiiiiiffffffff, aahhhhhhhhhhh! I love the smell of napalm [a dogpile] in the morning!"

I'm sorry admins, I tried. I really, really tried. :(

....I'm having trouble with this kinder and gentler thing folks.
Iggy,

Remember what we decided was ok to post?

"This topic has been discussed here, here,here,here,here, here,here,here,here, here,here,here,here, here,here,here,here, here,here,here,here, here,here,here,here, here,here,here,here, here,here,here,here, here,here,here,here, here,here,here,here, here,here,here,here, here,here,here,here, here,here,here,here, here,here,here, and here" :lol:

I've got 12k on the bike and am ready to switch to synthetic. Any consensus on which is the BEST?
OK I'll go...

I understand engrish.... The answer to your question is:

NO, there is no consensus.

Are we happy now?

First of all you wiated to long to change over. The engine damage that already has occured is beyond repair. Good luck next time around.

O.K. No more smart ass remarks. Mobil 1 used to be red cap 15/50 , no energy conserving oils in any brand, Amsoil, Shell Rotell 5/40, Red Line, Mobil 1 MX4T motorcycle specific, Motul full synthetic motorcycle specific{way expensive} etc. There are many articles on other sites about oils, dino and synthetic. Doesn't seem to matter all that much if you change your oil and filter often.

Radman, one question... Will the Toasted Coconut flavoring increase my gas mileage or adversely affect valve guide wear? How about getting those tough, hard to clean skid marks outta my shorts caused by laughing so fucking hard at these responses to Mr. I've Got 40 Years Of Riding Experience, Wadda You got, Kid? and his Dickwaddian responses - will it help there, too?
"Charlie don't surf."

"Snnnnnnniiiiiiiiiiiffffffff, aahhhhhhhhhhh! I love the smell of napalm [a dogpile] in the morning!"

I'm sorry admins, I tried. I really, really tried. :(

:lol: No worries.... it appears that Guideline #5 is alive and well.... :lol:

Any consensus on which is the BEST?
That's easy, whichever one costs the most. Probably Amsoil.
Next time, try to change it before 8000 miles.

I use cheap oil and change it every 4000, YMMV. About 7 bucks for the filter and about the same for the oil, with a reusable copper washer.

30,000 miles so far with only one major mechanical teardown & repair. Take my advice at your own risk.

I just use what the manufacturer recommends right on the filler cap ...710.

710.jpg

:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Any consensus on which is the BEST?
That's easy, whichever one costs the most. Probably Amsoil.
Next time, try to change it before 8000 miles.

I use cheap oil and change it every 4000, YMMV. About 7 bucks for the filter and about the same for the oil, with a reusable copper washer.

30,000 miles so far with only one major mechanical teardown & repair. Take my advice at your own risk.
Thankfully the bike got a major service 1/2 way through the trip. A big thank you to the fellas at Sunnyside Yamaha. I just haven't switched to synthetic yet and it didn't occur to me to have the Sunnyside guys do it.

I had no idea an innocent question could stir up so much sh_t.

First of all you wiated to long to change over. The engine damage that already has occured is beyond repair. Good luck next time around.

O.K. No more smart ass remarks. Mobil 1 used to be red cap 15/50 , no energy conserving oils in any brand, Amsoil, Shell Rotell 5/40, Red Line, Mobil 1 MX4T motorcycle specific, Motul full synthetic motorcycle specific{way expensive} etc. There are many articles on other sites about oils, dino and synthetic. Doesn't seem to matter all that much if you change your oil and filter often.
Thanks for the real answer. Was waiting for this one.

Thankfully the bike got a major service 1/2 way through the trip. A big thank you to the fellas at Sunnyside Yamaha. I just haven't switched to synthetic yet and it didn't occur to me to have the Sunnyside guys do it.
I had no idea an innocent question could stir up so much sh_t.
Your question didn't, a response not attributable to you did. I would suggest a visit Here for all sorts of good oil/filter info.

Q: And may I ask at what point does consciousness arrive - I've only been riding 39 years-

A: To some never grasshopper

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I had 3k before beginning an 8k adventure of a lifetime. 5 weeks of pure heaven. Just got back. Need to do some basic maintenance.
So your approaching 12K right now, service at Sunnyside at around 7K? Please do tell what is considered part of a major service at this mileage? Inquiring minds want to know. :blink:

Well, I had 3k before beginning an 8k adventure of a lifetime. 5 weeks of pure heaven. Just got back. Need to do some basic maintenance.

So your approaching 12K right now, service at Sunnyside at around 7K? Please do tell what is considered part of a major service at this mileage? Inquiring minds want to know. :blink:
I rode the shit out of the bike so I wanted to overmaintain. I had them change engine oil, gear oil and flush rad fluid. Also did TB sych and put on new rubber. Engine vibration at 5-7k+ was much reduced. I'm guessing this was the tb synch. Went from PRs to Avons and was really impressed with the Avons.