Big Sky Rally - RECONN!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warchild

Benevolent Dictator
Reaction score
The Big Sky Rally's "Into The Unknown" Endurance Riding event is the weekend of Aug 23-25...

In addition to my normal staff duties for this event, I am also a "pathfinder" - we locate, verify, photograph and confirm the GPS coordinates of each and every single bonus in the rallypack.

Hundreds of them.... they range anywhere from North Dakota, all the way to the Oregon coast. We have several pathfinders on staff to cover this enormous area.

This past weekend, it was my turn to strike deep into central Idaho and western Montana... first order of business: new Storms on the Heavy Bus:

reconnmeat.jpg

I obviously won't discuss Friday's travels and the actual bonus locations. Suffice to say that Friday was a heavy-duty reconn day, over 700 miles, every single one a 2-lane back-road, where I was able to score quite a few bonuses.

I arrived at Bob & Sylvie Torter's in Big Sky in the very late afternoon.... as you can see below, it is such a rough life, having to stay with the Torter's....
whistle.gif

torters.jpg

The next day, Bob went with me to scout a few more bonuses that were fairly local... Bob is on his brand new Harley Evo, which is quite the impressive machine:

DaleBobReconn.jpg

For some reason, the Harley looks even more impressive when Bob's wife Sylvie sits on it...
whistle.gif

SylvieHarley.jpg

The next day, I am up and out of Big Sky way before dawn in order to get home early enough to prep for the work week. The day was too perfect to take the interstate home, so I went up and over the always awesome Lolo Pass on HWY 12, as it cuts through the center of Idaho:

99twistymiles.jpg

The ride home Sunday was blazing hot.... I decided to chill at a killer rest area while the Heavy Bus cools off in the 104-degree temps....

104degrees.jpg

There are so many bonuses to reconn, I am blasting outta here again this Friday for Round II. I gotta admit, I haven't ridden a whole lot in Montana until these last 2-3 years.... there is scenic country up there that rivals anything you can find on the planet!

And it is big. And dark. Pitch black inky darkness... if you are endurance-riding in Montana, for Night-Stalking purposes, you best be bringing the Heavy Lights, and lots of extra fuel. In Montana, at night... you need lots of both!

montanadawn.jpg

For some reason, the Harley looks even more impressive when Bob's wife Sylvie sits on it...
whistle.gif
What Harley? Oh, nevermind, there it is.
laugh.png
;)

The Harley is actually quite impressive.... there is not on single exposed fastener on this machine... no fork pinch bolts, no axle bolts, not a screw, fastener or bolt head to be seen anywhere on the bike. The spoke wheels are crazy-beautiful... though it looks like a little effort would be needed to keep them this gorgeous. An endurance machine, it is not. But for putting around the Big Sky region, it's pretty dag-gone nice, I'll admit.
weirdsmiley.gif

I see the pics just fine.

Man, starting to get stoked for this event. Now I have to decide if I want to take the new to me FJR, or take the Busa. To be honest, the Busa is still more comfortable to me. Just not used to the upright position of the FJR yet. The FJR is warmer for sure. Not sure if that will be an issue in August though.

You'll appreciate the FJR warmth at 5am, when you guys mount up at 7300'... that's the altitude at the rally resort...
weirdsmiley.gif

Your FJR has a full set of aux lights, yes? If so... take the FJR. Aux fuel would be nice, but you can manage without it this time around.

You'll appreciate the FJR warmth at 5am, when you guys mount up at 7300'... that's the altitude at the rally resort...
weirdsmiley.gif

Your FJR has a full set of aux lights, yes? If so... take the FJR. Aux fuel would be nice, but you can manage without it this time around.
Yeah, full aux lights, 10200 Lumens of LED goodness. Brackets look familiar? :)

887314_10200725933728407_1208984910_o.jpg

I have to get my tour tank mounted in the next few weeks, so I'll have aux fuel as well. Just need to pull the tank, drain it and weld in a bung. Yeah, I know I can use a bulkhead fitting, but I find it just as easy to weld in a fitting, and I know it's never gonna leak :lol:

I just registered this week. It will be my first organized event, i am in novice class. I have many 900-1000 mile days under my belt though.I am pretty excited.

If I coulda, I woulda but already have something on the calendar that weekend... I'll keep an eye out for next year as that is an area I'd like to check out more... B)

If I coulda, I woulda but already have something on the calendar that weekend... I'll keep an eye out for next year as that is an area I'd like to check out more...
cool.png
Tyler - It runs every other year (so far anyway). However, there will be a rally in CO next year, I'd love to see you there. *whistles*

Yep, I lucked out. But I've toured all of the other states.

I am going to be well rested it seems, compared to others come friday, except those that live IN Big Sky.

Latest posts