Bike shut off idling

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SSHANK42

Reaction score
Started bike at work to let it warm up (29F temp). Got held over few minutes. When I went to get on bike it was not running. Does an 09 have a shut down if it idles in neutral to long?

Started bike at work to let it warm up (29F temp). Got held over few minutes. When I went to get on bike it was not running. Does an 09 have a shut down if it idles in neutral to long?
Yes, 20 minutes. Look at section 5 of your Owner's Manual.

Quote:

This model is equipped with:...

an engine auto-stop system. The engine stops automatically if left idling for 20 minutes. In this case, the multi-function display indicates error code 70, but this is not a malfunction. Push the start switch to clear the error code and to restart the engine.
(Actually from a 2010 manual, but it's the same.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Something I don't remember reading about or don't remember hearing.
I remember hearing about it but that feature was added sometime after '07. It doesn't apply to us.
Cool, although I never start mine till I have at least my riding pants on. Start it then coat, ear buds then the Helmet usually gives me a bar or two. If it's cold still the same routine but add the liner or electric coat.

I don't start the bike until I am ready to ride, fully geared up. This is my first modern EFI motorcycle and it is a wonder as far as instant driveability, no matter how cold it is.

I get on, raise the landing gear, snick into first, pull the clutch and fire up. In no more than 30 seconds I am easing up our 100 yd. driveway and out on the road.

Dan