Bike To Bike Communication

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sage

Reaction score
There are many brands of bike to bike communication syetems on the market - Sena, Chatterbox, Auto Com, Scala. It is my understanding that these systems will not talk between manufactuers i.e. Scala to Chatter box. So if you have a group of mixed riders with different bike to bike communication systems how can we talk or is there a system which will talk to other systems. Need some help as i am looking to purchase a set but my friends have different manufactuers.

So if you have a group of mixed riders with different bike to bike communication systems how can we talk or is there a system which will talk to other systems.
Not possible right now. Only system that would work would be CB Radio but even that requires everyone to have the same gear. There are no standards in the industry that would allow different bike to bike communication systems to talk to each other.

Not sure I understand the issue here. For example if you have an Autocom system you pick the radio you want to use for communication either CB or GMRS. I was under the impression that most of them used some form of GMRS radio as that is what has been approved by the FCC. Any communication has to be done in a way that the FCC has approved. I guess I will do some investigation as to what the system use for communication frequencies. I use the J&M 2003 system. That way I have CB for the trucks, and other bikes, I have the ability to use a GMRS radio through the system with a push to talk feature. I also get the ability to integrate my ZUMO 550 into the system so I can listen to satellite radio. Just a thought. PM me if you need more information.

Yes, probably CB or GMRS is the most "universal" in that it works across manufacturers. But then you still have to integrate it into your helmet (if you wear one). It's hard to use a push to talk mike or a hand held while driving, especially with a full face helmet.

I think some of the helmet to helmet comm systems do a better job of noise cancellation than a regular mike.

Yes, probably CB or GMRS is the most "universal" in that it works across manufacturers. But then you still have to integrate it into your helmet (if you wear one). It's hard to use a push to talk mike or a hand held while driving, especially with a full face helmet.

I think some of the helmet to helmet comm systems do a better job of noise cancellation than a regular mike.
The J&M has a push to talk button on the handlebar couldn't be simpler. They also offer a second push to talk button so your pillion can activate it themselves to talk over the CB. I have had the star com with the kenwood radio also. The J&M is by far more versatile IMHO. But it is more expensive.

For a cross-country group ride a few years ago we equipped each rider

with a Motocomm headset and Midland FRS/GMRS radio.

They worked very well and were effective for a couple of miles in

curvy/hilly terrain.

Cost was about $100.00 total per bike.

It is my understanding that these systems will not talk between manufactuers i.e. Scala to Chatter box.
That is my understanding as well for the bluetooth based communication systems. GMRS or CB is your answer. Most all of the communication systems allow adding on a CB or GMRS radio to the system.

So I have done some looking around on the internet for you.

SENA and SCALA are Bluetooth only systems that are good to talk to a passenger. Really not good for bike to bike over any distance.

Chaterbox is a GMRS/FRS FM radio system. They have about a 5 mile range at most.

AUTOCOM is a plug in system. You buy the system and plug in the radios and stuff you want to use.

J&M is a CB system that also allows expansion to other radios.

Last edited by a moderator:

SENA and SCALA are Bluetooth only systems that are good to talk to a passenger. Really not good for bike to bike over any distance.
Brrrpppp. Wrong. They (well, at least the Sena) work well for line-of-sight bike-to-bike communication, up to 500-1000 feet. In the few cases where we were separated by several miles and I needed to communicate with the tail, I just called with my cell phone.

You can add the SR10 module to the Sena to get FRS/GMRS capability. Not sure if you can add CB with that ... maybe you can.

I've had a JMCB2003. It is a quality product and it is really nice when you've got a lot of CB-using buddies so you can broadcast to all, but I much prefer the Sena. The problems with the JMCB2003:

1. Expensive - $500 after you add a quality antenna (2-3 foot Firestik II).

2. PITA to install and hide 18 feet of NGP antenna. Sena = install in helmet, done. Nothing to install on bike.

3. $300 to go wireless.

4. Phone integration requires more stuff, or a Zumo or the like.

5. When something breaks (like the DIN-6 connectors) parts are an arm and leg.

6. Picks up ignition noise.

Anyway .. that's my take on it. If I were to do it again I'd go with Sena .. again.

You may need to do some more looking. :)

I've used a SCALA system for bike-to-bike. Worked great over distance, even in the canyons of New York City.

The Scala G4 will work bike to bike at a pretty good distance. Dad and I still communicate crystal clear when we can't see each other. This happens when we are seperated by traffic signals in town or by terrain on the road. I have no way of accurately guesstimating the effective distance but it has not been a limiting factor yet.

Just a thought: If you have lots of riders all talking on the same channel at the same time it could get very "busy". I really like the fact that Dad and I can talk privately when we are riding with other bikes. Group rides can test nerves and to be able to communicate privately has its advantages.

I was already using a Starcom system and had a Midland GMRS radio and wanted to get something for my brother to use when we rode together. He has more than one bike so a wired system wasn't the answer. Went with the Chatterbox X1 Slim. It's not perfect but it works. He uses the VOX feature so he doesn't have to hook up the push to talk button or take his hand off the left grip. He does have to talk louder than he normally does to keep the mike open. I found out the X1 Slim will pair up with my Garmin Nuvi 765T bluetooth and decided to buy one also. I still have the option to use the Starcom if I choose. The Starcom does work better but I like the X1 Slim because there are no cables involved and portable for times he insists I ride his VFR 1200. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
The chief problem with bike to bike is helmet noise. It doesn't matter how nice the system works if you can't hear over the wind. For the same reason VOX hasn't been useful for me either, the noise activates it constantly. I'm too cheap to go for the $350 systems or the bluetooth. I've gotten a Midland GMRS with a push to talk and an in helmet mic to work quite well at lower speeds. The magic cutoff is around 50mph, if you're rolling across the plains at 90 the odds are you won't be able to hear a thing. But being able to yak at close range and slower speeds as you go through town is just priceless. No opening the flipup and yelling at other riders. For $75 you can put together a good system, and the Midland I have uses four AA batts and runs for a couple days at least on power saver.

The chief problem with bike to bike is helmet noise. It doesn't matter how nice the system works if you can't hear over the wind. For the same reason VOX hasn't been useful for me either, the noise activates it constantly. I'm too cheap to go for the $350 systems or the bluetooth. I've gotten a Midland GMRS with a push to talk and an in helmet mic to work quite well at lower speeds. The magic cutoff is around 50mph, if you're rolling across the plains at 90 the odds are you won't be able to hear a thing. But being able to yak at close range and slower speeds as you go through town is just priceless. No opening the flipup and yelling at other riders. For $75 you can put together a good system, and the Midland I have uses four AA batts and runs for a couple days at least on power saver.
For the intercom functions, we have found the Sena's to have sufficient microphone technology and speaker volume to function at highway speeds, if you don't wear earplugs. If you wear earplugs, it is highly dependent on the earplugs, windshield and helmet.

With music (AD2P) the volume is lower for some reason. With earplugs we can make out the music but podcasts are unintelligible. The solution is get a pair of noise-blocking earbuds, like the Etymotic, S-Plugs, or any of the custom offerings.

Sena is tracking the requests for more volume here: https://support.senabluetooth.com/entries/21056096-more-volume-would-be-nice

Although, note they marked it "Done" when it really isn't.

he magic cutoff is around 50mph, if you're rolling across the plains at 90 the odds are you won't be able to hear a thing.
And at those speeds, you really should be focused on the riding and not chit chatting. :)
Not on the plains. Then the challenge is to keep from drifting off to sleep.

We've found that we don't do a whole lot of talking with our Sena's. It's mostly for "need gas" "need food" "ewwww that roadkill was ripe!". I've also had lengthy phone discussions, but mostly we use the Sena's for entertainment (music/podcasts).