Boot Help

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigOgre

Reaction score
After reading many threads on boots, have it narrowed down between the Alpinestars Web Goretex and the TCX X-Five (Alpinestars because I've been happy with my last two pairs and the TCXs from the great write-ups.) As I have very few, if any, places around me where I can try these on, hoping some could talk about the fit (and opinions). Currently wear an 11.5 wide. Seems like the TCX runs wide although no half sizes; Alpinestars just the opposite. Thanks.

I think my foot is closer to the standard width, but then I don't usually find the option for wides in 14 or 15. I wear a 14 TCX X-Five and found it was right on the edge of being snug out of the box, but after a few thousand miles broke in and loosened up nicely. And I have a set of the older 14 Oxtar Matrix (what the TCX used to be called) I still wear when it's not raining that are VERY comfortable and VERY broken in.

By comparison I usually go a 14 dress shoe or 15 Nike.

I think my foot is closer to the standard width, but then I don't usually find the option for wides in 14 or 15. I wear a 14 TCX X-Five and found it was right on the edge of being snug out of the box, but after a few thousand miles broke in and loosened up nicely. And I have a set of the older 14 Oxtar Matrix (what the TCX used to be called) I still wear when it's not raining that are VERY comfortable and VERY broken in.
By comparison I usually go a 14 dress shoe or 15 Nike.
wow, good info, thanx <bozo!>

I agree with Iggy. I have an old set of Oxtar and the replacement TCX. both fit well on my semi wide size 13 feet. The old ones have been retreaded and are still waterproof and comfy although the zippers gave up after a bunch of years and a 100k miles. I expect the TCX will perform as well.

I just got the size 13 (48) TCX X5's and I take a EEE usually. These look narrow although they aren't really, fit a very small amount snug enough that I know they will break in just fine. I had some AlpineStars Ridge boots, very comfortable, but tops weren't high enough. A friend of mine has the Web's and they look a little bulky. I vote the TCX route.

For maintenance, clean and lube (silicone/wax) the zippers so they slide nice and you won't strain them.

Last edited by a moderator:
A few months ago I got the TCX Infinity in my size, I got them based on a review that said"

"These boots don't squeak, don't need breaking in, and fit perfect right out of the box."

They squeaked like crazy and felt like they were a half size too small, but after I "broke them

in" they are awesome and very comfortable boots. However it was an uncomfortable couple

of weeks...

I haven't any information about the X-five. But I do have the TCX Infinity as well. See:

https://www.newenough.com/street/boots/wate...ycle_boots.html

They took a couple days of wear, (I wore them to work) to break-in but not too bad. My boots squeak a little as well. I have worn them exclusively on two week trips including walking through sight seeing stops, short hikes to scenic views, walking small down towns, etc. I never had any blisters or hot spots. They are comfortable but warm in the summer.

I usually wear a 9.5 in street shoes and opted for the 44 (or US 10) size. I put in some Dr. Scholls sport-type shoe liners which make them really comfortable. They have been one of my best purchases and I am very happy with them.

I have been impressed with their craftsmanship, style, comfort and design. I have only had a few pairs of motorcycle boots, including Alpinestars. These have worn the best for me. Heck even the sole shows little wear. I bought them two years ago this May and logged about 15k miles since then. My $.02

Thanks to all for the posts. Called New Enough to order the X-Fives and the gentleman confirmed that most thought they ran a little snug, although wide in the width. Also found out that they are on extended back order (not just back ordered, but "extended" back ordered) meaning that I might see them sometime in mid-May. So, 10% off, plus the advertised free shipping, and bottom-line was under $200. As I'm in no rush, thought it a good deal.

I have a pair of chippewa boots with velcro fasteners and a leather shift pad on the top of the toe I have had for 6 years and love them but I have never heard anyone mention them?