Bought a Penske Rear Shock

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Road_Runner

Accelerati Incredibilus
Reaction score
I recently acquired this used Penske shock. Thinking it might be a good idea to have it rebuilt before installing, so I reached out to Traxxion Dynamics for rebuild info. and am awaiting reply.

Can one of you Penske affectionados tell me what I have and how to initially set it up, or point me toward a guide? Is the blue spring indicative of the weight range?

I unfortunately don't have any history on the shock, but it was relatively inexpensive so I thought I would take a chance that it would be good for me at 200#.

IMG_20240412_134433.jpg

More info: The spring has "Hyperco 186A0900" printed on it. Online Hyperco says 900 lbs/in spring rate. Dan at Traxxion indicated that rebuild is $250, so if spring is right for me I will probably get it rebuilt.

Dan at Traxxion advised that the 900# spring is too heavy for me at 200#. Would be good 2up w/wife, which happens not too often. Any thoughts on 800# vs 900# spring for 200# rider +gear?

Looks like you have a 8983 Penske. I'd suggest trying the 900# spring first and if it is too much, replace it with an 850# spring. Replacement springs are inexpensive to purchase and easy to swap even with shock installed on the bike. For reference, I'm about the same weight and use a 850# for single riding and a 950# for loaded two-up riding.

For dampening set-up, go to Penske's web site and download a 8983 user manual. Follow the instructions and adjust to suit ride preference.

Good luck!

~G

You can also send the shock right to Penske for rebuild. Since I'm in PA and so is Penske I went that route. I bought a used one off eBay in 21 and at that time Penske was charging $185 for rebuild.

And sometimes when you go straight to Penske, they will swap the spring as a trade like what happened to my friend. Traxxion is very good, reputable and been around a long time. They did my old GSXR.

Thank you very much for the replies! Now that I know what shock I have (thanks eacapefjrtist), I will download the manual from Penske for more information and to set it up.

Thanks for the suggestion BkerChuck about going straight to Penske for the rebuild. I may reach out to them. That would be awesome Coachpilot if they would swap it out for free... Thanks for suggesting that.

Per the chart here: https://www.penskeshocks.com/hubfs/Resources/Tech Sheets/PENSKE-SPRING-APPLICATION-CHART.pdf
Penske recommends the 900# rate for my weight on the FJR, with 850# right on the border of my weight. I suspect that due to this being a high-performance application, the spring rate advertised may be on the high side for average riding.

Out of my communications with Traxxion, Dan said they would... "set the valving up for you as well, and dyno tune and send it back all set to good baseline." I am not sure if this means that the shock is rebuilt differently based on the anticipated rider weight and spring rate, or is it just a matter of adjustment after the rebuild(?) I suspect that it is rebuilt the same no matter the spring rate, but I will reach back out to Dan to clarify.

Looks like you have a 8983 Penske. I'd suggest trying the 900# spring first and if it is too much, replace it with an 850# spring. Replacement springs are inexpensive to purchase and easy to swap even with shock installed on the bike. For reference, I'm about the same weight and use a 850# for single riding and a 950# for loaded two-up riding.

For dampening set-up, go to Penske's web site and download a 8983 user manual. Follow the instructions and adjust to suit ride preference.

Good luck!

~G

You can also send the shock right to Penske for rebuild. Since I'm in PA and so is Penske I went that route. I bought a used one off eBay in 21 and at that time Penske was charging $185 for rebuild.

And sometimes when you go straight to Penske, they will swap the spring as a trade like what happened to my friend. Traxxion is very good, reputable and been around a long time. They did my old GSXR.

Traxxion rebuilt mine and in my case, they recommended a heavier spring, an 800# vs, the 700# on the shock. I opted not to do that change as I wanted more compliance to handle the winter ravaged roads here in Ontario. They set up the valving for me and it matched my requirements exactly as delivered. I didn't do anything other than add a click of rebound a bunch of years later.

Thanks good to know that the shock arrives ready to go. I guess it's a good idea to at least check sag after installation.

Traxxion rebuilt mine and in my case, they recommended a heavier spring, an 800# vs, the 700# on the shock. I opted not to do that change as I wanted more compliance to handle the winter ravaged roads here in Ontario. They set up the valving for me and it matched my requirements exactly as delivered. I didn't do anything other than add a click of rebound a bunch of years later.

Interesting. 700# spring on an FJR is pretty low. I get the compliance thing, but still...... How much do you weigh?

Unless you're a flyweight, a 700# spring is pretty light for an FJR.

Regarding the OP, great suggestion from BkerChuck sending the shock directly to Penske for rebuild. I've had good experience with Penske tech support setting up a shock on my Tenere and they did swap a spring for me at no cost. Good folks, much better than my experience with Traxxion...

~G

Thanks good to know that the shock arrives ready to go. I guess it's a good idea to at least check sag after installation.
Definitely check sag. Start out with a minimum of 10mm of spring preload and see what you have. Add more from that point. I'd also recommend adding ~3mm extra ride height to slightly quicken turn in. The shackle height adjustment can be changed with shock mounted. Easy to fine tune the bike chassis based on load.

~G

Thanks for advice on sag. I downloaded the manual for the shock from the Penske website so hopefully it will be a straightforward procedure.

I may contact Penske for the rebuild based on your recommendation.

Regarding raising the ride height with the shock... I already have the rear raised with shorter dogbones due to my height. Is there any advantage to doing it with the shock instead?

Unless you're a flyweight, a 700# spring is pretty light for an FJR.

Regarding the OP, great suggestion from BkerChuck sending the shock directly to Penske for rebuild. I've had good experience with Penske tech support setting up a shock on my Tenere and they did swap a spring for me at no cost. Good folks, much better than my experience with Traxxion...

~G

Definitely check sag. Start out with a minimum of 10mm of spring preload and see what you have. Add more from that point. I'd also recommend adding ~3mm extra ride height to slightly quicken turn in. The shackle height adjustment can be changed with shock mounted. Easy to fine tune the bike chassis based on load.

~G

The shock I bought off eBay was originally sold by Traxxion and came with all the original paperwork and instructions which was nice. Penske had me fill out a form to package with the shock when I sent it in for rebuild. Questionaire about rider weight, passenger weight, how much luggage etc. When their shock techeck started on it, he phoned me to go over the whole thing again to make sure nothing was missed or overlooked. I followed his advice and put a heavier spring on for 2 up travel. It came back spotless with a new bottom clevis as they had found some of the originally used pieces had cracked so they're upgrading all of them when they do a rebuild. I got a "shock dyno" report with it when it came back though I have no clue what all of it really means.

I will say that with Dianne and I both with luggage the bike rides so much better and handles like a dream. I have to pay more attention now as my speeds have crept up.

So Chuck with the heavier spring how does it perform not riding two-up? Do you adjust it between solo and two-up riding?

The thing that bothered me about Traxxion is that Dan said that I should be on an 800# spring, but the penske chart shows I should be using a 900# (which is what is on there now). I am intending to call Penske Monday to go over it with them. I did find the form you mentioned and have it ready.

The shock I bought off eBay was originally sold by Traxxion and came with all the original paperwork and instructions which was nice. Penske had me fill out a form to package with the shock when I sent it in for rebuild. Questionaire about rider weight, passenger weight, how much luggage etc. When their shock techeck started on it, he phoned me to go over the whole thing again to make sure nothing was missed or overlooked. I followed his advice and put a heavier spring on for 2 up travel. It came back spotless with a new bottom clevis as they had found some of the originally used pieces had cracked so they're upgrading all of them when they do a rebuild. I got a "shock dyno" report with it when it came back though I have no clue what all of it really means.

I will say that with Dianne and I both with luggage the bike rides so much better and handles like a dream. I have to pay more attention now as my speeds have crept up.

So Chuck with the heavier spring how does it perform not riding two-up? Do you adjust it between solo and two-up riding?

The thing that bothered me about Traxxion is that Dan said that I should be on an 800# spring, but the penske chart shows I should be using a 900# (which is what is on there now). I am intending to call Penske Monday to go over it with them. I did find the form you mentioned and have it ready.
I don't even bother changing the preload when solo. It's a little firm but not objectionable to me. At EOM last year in WV at one point we managed to drag a foot peg 2-up which surprised me a bit but it just feels so stable I barely think about it.
Penske tech told me I was right in between 2 springs, solo the spring it came with would be perfect solo but based on our 2-up numbers he recommended the next spring. I understand the springs can be swapped without removing the shock and maybe some weekend I'mean bored maybe I'll try it

It will be opposite in my case. I will be having the shock built for just me, as most of my riding is solo.

Going to talk with Penske Monday. Their table shows me right on the 850#-900# border for the spring, so will probably stay with the 900# spring, but see what they recommend.

I don't even bother changing the preload when solo. It's a little firm but not objectionable to me. At EOM last year in WV at one point we managed to drag a foot peg 2-up which surprised me a bit but it just feels so stable I barely think about it.
Penske tech told me I was right in between 2 springs, solo the spring it came with would be perfect solo but based on our 2-up numbers he recommended the next spring. I understand the springs can be swapped without removing the shock and maybe some weekend I'mean bored maybe I'll try it

Thanks for advice on sag. I downloaded the manual for the shock from the Penske website so hopefully it will be a straightforward procedure.

I may contact Penske for the rebuild based on your recommendation.

Regarding raising the ride height with the shock... I already have the rear raised with shorter dogbones due to my height. Is there any advantage to doing it with the shock instead?
The Penske manual is straightforward and very good explaining shock adjustments. Take it step-by-step and you'll have no trouble with it. Can't address using shorter dog bones as I've never used them. Lengthening the shock using stock dog bones would provide infinite adjustment (up to the Penske's limit) to fine tune the geometry. I personally would go that direction but shorter dog bones seem to work too.

~G

I called Penske this morning, and am going to send the shock to them. They advised that the 900# spring is a good starting point. This is based on 20 extra lbs of gear (mainly crash bars), my weight of 200#, and solo touring load (about 1/4 of the time) of extra 50lbs. They also stated that if the shock is a newer version it has about 200# of adjustability (6 clicks vs 18 clicks - old vs new). I don't know if I have old or new.

Their base charge for rebuild and revalve/setup is $195.