Bought One

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOO HOO!! I just became an FJR owner! Just clicked the Buy-It-Now button on e-Bay and bought a nearly new 2010 with less than 1K miles. Bike is in Montana and plan to drive over this coming Monday and ride it home.
Anybody interested in a one owner '04 R1150RT with Russell saddle and wideband O2 sensor with LC-2 controller and no god awful linked ABS? Runs and looks perfect with only 50K miles.
Great find James, you'll luv it! In 2010 they made sum slight transmission 'n throttle improvements and went back to the desired gen I clutch slave.

I too had a fragile, high maintenance pos BMW R12ST w/ those lame ass whizzy brakes befoe I went to the FJR, 'n I couldn't be happier now.

The FJR steers heavier, but it gives much better feed back than the lame ass tele lever front end. Just make sure you put air in the tires; I usually run 40F and 44R.

The linked ABS on the FJR is much better than the Bring Mor Wallet linked ABS; the brakes on my pos R12ST were down right dangerous!

Now go out and ride that beeeoootch, cuz the mor you ride her, the mor you'll like her.
wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Morning BanjoBoy, I agree with most of what you say but the telelever front suspension is one of the things I really like about my oilhead. The telelever all but eliminates front end dive when braking hard. The oilhead is a handful when riding slow and making tight turns but from what I've read so is the FJR. Also, from what I've read, the FJR is not quite up with BMW when it comes to handling on curvy roads. I can't say from personal experience because I've never ridden an FJR but I will this coming Sunday when I take possession of the FJR at Kalispell, MT. I kind of think the FJR drivetrain will blow me away but I'm not so sure about the rest of the package as in handling and overall ride quality. Might be the reason I'm keeping my '93 R1100RSL with only 6K original miles. The BMW 1100RS is one sweet to ride motorcycle and she handles the curves really well. Doesn't have the drivetrain problems of the later oilheads.

Not trying to take anything away from the FJR. Yamaha reliability blows BMW away and the drivetrain is primo for sure. Too bad you can't put an FJR drivetrain in an oilhead. Only kidding.
smile.png

QUOTE: "bought a nearly new 2010 with less than 1K miles...."

I have a feeling this bike has been neglected. As in, not ridden hard and put away wet the way FJR's like it. How on earth could someone live in Kalispell and not have a few miles on her?

Do yourself and the bike a favor, take a little detour East on I-90 when you get to Missoula. Once you're a few miles out of town, blow the cobwebs out of the poor thing (that road's an autobahn)... I think you'll find the power increase from the Bimmer 1150 to be a little shocking.

Congrats and have a fun ride.

BTW my brother in law had an RT about that same year. I remember it felt much more nimble and light at low speed and a lot slower at every speed
smile.png

Morning Spud, The story on this bike is that the Kalispell dealer acquired it from Yamaha as a new left over then it just sat in their showroom for a couple of years with little interest generated. When sold last year it had about 51 miles on the clock. According to the dealer people in the Flathead are not interested so much in big road bikes which is probably right because of the short riding season. They sell mostly trail bikes, snow machines and lawnmowers. Then last year the guy I bought it from acquired it and put about 900 miles on it and I think mostly short trips. It has had a recent oil change. After I ride it the 800 miles home I plan to flush the brakes, change oil (engine & Final drive), and sync the throttle bodies by the book to begin with. Going to cross Eastern Oregon on US20 which is a fast road. Two lanes but straight. Going to feed it a healthy dose of Techron at each fillup on the trip.

Speaking of snow machines and lawnmowers, I've wondered how Yamaha dealer techs can be very up to speed on bikes like the FJR as they apparently don't see many. I talked to the Yamaha dealer here and they say they service all road bikes but they've never sold an FJR much less serviced one. Good thing I do my own and it will be nice to be able to get parts locally. Of course with a Yamaha one shouldn't need many parts, right?

Regarding servicing an FJR........there is a small Yamaha shop about 6 miles from me that sells mostly sleds, quads, and dirt bikes. I asked about service a few years back, and the manager told me that there are specific days, like once or twice a month, that a Yamaha trained service technician that specializes in street bikes comes to his shop. Maybe they do the same thing there? Could be.

Can't ask for a better shake down ride. By the time you get home you'll definitely know what the bike's all about. I've done HWY 20 before--some real desolation out there. Don't know how long you'll take, but one of my all-time favorite overnight spots is on your route:

https://www.bigironmotel.com/

Looking forward to hearing about your ride.

Hi Spud, About 6 years ago I was riding (R1150RT) from Baker City to Bend on US20. I stopped at the Shell in Burns to fuel up. There was a girl on a Harley at the station looking at a map, the bike had a S. Dakota plate. So, I left before she did and headed west. Just after Riley I'm rolling along about 75 and not paying attention to what's behind me when WOOOOSH! the Harley blows by me like Grant took Richmond. So, not to be done this way I roll on the throttle and shift into 6th. I'm doing about 110 and not gaining. She then blows by a semi and I press on. Finally, after about 30 miles, I catch up and stay behind her all the way (124 miles from Burns) to the first stop light in Bend where she motions me up along side to tell me she's non stop from S. Dakota to see her boyfriend who's in the Bend hospital. Then she says that if it makes me feel any better the Harley isn't stock. I kind of had figured that out already. Oh, forgot to mention I had my wife on board. I could have passed her, I think, but I just didn't have enough nerve. Anyway that's my US20 story. That Harley could run! Wonder what would have happened if I would have been on an FJR? lol..lol..I maybe wouldn't be alive today. more lol..

You know that Riggins motel looks familiar. I spent a night there a few years ago. Was an older motel with a nice deck in front of the office and big shade trees. Nobody was in the office so I got a 6 pack and waited. Was a pretty hot day and the beer tasted great! Owner showed up about an hour later. Good times. I used to live at Baker City and I kind of miss Eastern Oregon and being close to Idaho with its great rides. Used to visit Big Twin BMW there in Boise. Say hi to Fred. Oh, my wife likes Western Oregon. To many people.

Congrats on the new FJR! I'll look for you because I'll be in Hot Springs, MT this sunday until about noon when I head toward Lolo Hot Springs resort for the night before blasting back home to Tacoma on monday. I'm on a 07 FJR (the only year they picked Black Cherry for the color) with 110,000 miles on it that I still love. I'm guessing you're heading home over Lolo pass?

Hi Harold, yup will be headed west. Don't know if I'm leaving the Flathead on Sunday or Monday for sure. And if weather gets better I may pick up the bike on Saturday and head back Sunday.

left Kalispell on the 20th for the central Oregon coast. went a few extra miles for a total of 850 miles and 600 miles the first day. I got to say that the FJR is just about the best motorcycle I've ever ridden. Compared to the oilhead BMW about the only thing I might miss just a tiny bit is the telelever front suspension which all but eliminates nose dive under hard braking. Other than that the FJR just does everything very well. One thing I especially like is the FJR is like it's on a rail. I mean when it's going down the road it tracks absolutely true and it doesn't wonder which is good for fatigue prevention. The BMW oilhead tends to drift and requires constant correction. On my R1150RT I can't take my eyes off the road or it drifts and a time or two I've come close to running off the pavement. On the FJR you can glance at passing scenery without fear. The stock seat causes some tailbone pain for me but the seat is a lot better than some factory seats I could mention. I can't for the life of me see why you would need a 6 speed transmission. I kind of think manufacturers do mods like that along with things like the slipper clutch just to inspire people to buy a new machine be it car or motorcycle or.....??

Anyway, I've got a fantastic motorcycle and I couldn't be happier. Oh, ordered an Innovate Motor Sports LC-2 controller with wideband O2 sensor as there is some surging around 3K revs and below in the lower gears but none when cruising in 5th at any speed. It's nothing I can't live with but I'm curious how well the wideband will perform on an FJR. I wish I knew where to look to find out how the FJR ECU does its thing. Is there a way to know when the ECU is in open or closed loop?

Changed her oil and filter and final drive lube. Tomorrow I'll sync the throttle bodies.

I can honestly say I will never ever buy another BMW. Buyer will pick up the R1150RT this Sunday.

left Kalispell on the 20th for the central Oregon coast. went a few extra miles for a total of 850 miles and 600 miles the first day. I got to say that the FJR is just about the best motorcycle I've ever ridden. Compared to the oilhead BMW about the only thing I might miss just a tiny bit is the telelever front suspension which all but eliminates nose dive under hard braking. Other than that the FJR just does everything very well. One thing I especially like is the FJR is like it's on a rail. I mean when it's going down the road it tracks absolutely true and it doesn't wonder which is good for fatigue prevention. The BMW oilhead tends to drift and requires constant correction. On my R1150RT I can't take my eyes off the road or it drifts and a time or two I've come close to running off the pavement. On the FJR you can glance at passing scenery without fear. The stock seat causes some tailbone pain for me but the seat is a lot better than some factory seats I could mention. I can't for the life of me see why you would need a 6 speed transmission. I kind of think manufacturers do mods like that along with things like the slipper clutch just to inspire people to buy a new machine be it car or motorcycle or.....??
Anyway, I've got a fantastic motorcycle and I couldn't be happier. Oh, ordered an Innovate Motor Sports LC-2 controller with wideband O2 sensor as there is some surging around 3K revs and below in the lower gears but none when cruising in 5th at any speed. It's nothing I can't live with but I'm curious how well the wideband will perform on an FJR. I wish I knew where to look to find out how the FJR ECU does its thing. Is there a way to know when the ECU is in open or closed loop?

Changed her oil and filter and final drive lube. Tomorrow I'll sync the throttle bodies.

I can honestly say I will never ever buy another BMW. Buyer will pick up the R1150RT this Sunday.
Glad U like her James, my sediments exactly. Before the FJR I too had a fragile, high maintenance, unreliable, pos Buy Mor Warranty R1200ST, which never felt right to me.

The tele lever front end fixes a problem that doesn't exist, 'n that's why you won't see it on any race bikes. Nothing beats a properly set up conventional front end. And unlike yer previous bike, you don't have to worry 'bout the FD, shaft or splines. You can change the fd fluid 'n lube the (Front) splines every 26K when ya tune the thing up, or not at all; it really doesn't matter. (Unlike a pos Bring Mor Wallet where you change the fluid, 'n lube the splines ever 6K and they still fail!)

And by the way, if'in yer riding around at 3K, yer lugging it. 4K is the sweet spot.

Now aren't u happy you spit the koolaide out, and bought a bike of real quality?
wink.png

500q0069ib.jpg

Gotta agree with the transplanted Midwesterner: if you're running twisties or Hooterville, it's best to be above 5,500 rpm. No need to touch your brakes.

Can't speak to "passing a long train of cars purposefully holding you back from your destination" as us polite southerners don't do those sorts of things.

4k is fine for cruising down the road lazily... the saweet spot is 5-8k in the curves or passing a long train of cars purposely holding you back from your destination.
biggrin.png
Yeahzzz, recon yer right, 4K iz the bottom of the sweet spot; it just gets better after that.
punk.gif

I'm just recommend'in the op not ride 'round at 3K, cuz this isn't a Buy Mor Warranty paint shaker.
tonguesmiley.gif

Speaking of sweet spot, I think 5K is just about right. Yesterday, I rode 210 miles to Wausau to have lunch with my brother and his son. Left at 6:15 AM, took a couple breaks on the way, had lunch which was about an hour, and rode the 210 miles home. Got back before 3:30. I took the twisty roads until they were gone, then took straight county roads for the remainder.

On those empty county roads, where my sightline was good, the FJR just naturally wanted to be at 5K rpm, or an indicated 95 mph. I'd goose it from there every once in a while, and it's right in the meat of the torque there. This thing is a threat to my driver's license, but on a weekday morning, on those roads, I was going ten minutes at a time without seeing another vehicle. I guess I could plead insanity, (a plea which would be entirely believable, if you have met me), but if I were being honest, I'd have to plead pleasure.

Glad you are happy with the FJR. There are a lot of other nice bikes out there, and if I win the lottery, I will have more bikes. But there are not many that can do everything the FJR can do, as well as the FJR can, with the level of quality and robustness that Yamaha engineered into this fine machine. Now, go for a ride, and let the big dog EAT.

I think you guys have a point about 5K but the power band on the FJR is just so broad. And you got to remember what I've been riding for a lot of years. Just not apples and apples which is a good thing. Got her home Tuesday and so far have changed oil/filter, final drive lube, synced throttle bodies, and flushed brakes and clutch fluid. Maybe my imagination but it seems to idle a bit more smoothly and has less lean hesitation. The TB sync wasn't that far off but I set the TB's dead on using a Harmonizer. Will flush cooling system next week and I'm done. Going to maybe install the wideband O2 sensor next week as well. Then again I might wait awhile until I get more used to the bike. I really just want to ride and enjoy this unbelievable beast. I might just have a '93 R1100RSL for sale. Buyer will be here tomorrow to pick up the 1150. I'm not sure he has ever owned a BMW before and he's going to ride it 2K miles to his home in Texas. Better him than me.

Oh, while I think of it, I did a by the book TB sync and after each TB I reved it up and above idle it stayed in perfect sync so I see no need to adjust the throttle butterflies which are adjusted using a flow bench. Above idle the TB butterfly valves take control of air through the TBs and if there were any imbalance the Harmonizer or whatever instrument you're using would indicate loss of sync. I didn't see any.

I think you guys have a point about 5K but the power band on the FJR is just so broad. And you got to remember what I've been riding for a lot of years. Just not apples and apples which is a good thing. Got her home Tuesday and so far have changed oil/filter, final drive lube, synced throttle bodies, and flushed brakes and clutch fluid. Maybe my imagination but it seems to idle a bit more smoothly and has less lean hesitation. The TB sync wasn't that far off but I set the TB's dead on using a Harmonizer. Will flush cooling system next week and I'm done. Going to maybe install the wideband O2 sensor next week as well. Then again I might wait awhile until I get more used to the bike. I really just want to ride and enjoy this unbelievable beast. I might just have a '93 R1100RSL for sale. Buyer will be here tomorrow to pick up the 1150. I'm not sure he has ever owned a BMW before and he's going to ride it 2K miles to his home in Texas. Better him than me.
Oh, while I think of it, I did a by the book TB sync and after each TB I reved it up and above idle it stayed in perfect sync so I see no need to adjust the throttle butterflies which are adjusted using a flow bench. Above idle the TB butterfly valves take control of air through the TBs and if there were any imbalance the Harmonizer or whatever instrument you're using would indicate loss of sync. I didn't see any.
Not sure 'bout all that, I read somewhere on this here fine forum to to bring yer bike up to 4K (The bottom of the sweet spot.) 'n then adjust the butterflies so they'z even. (I use a Morgan thingie) Then go back and adjust the idle sync; that's how I sync mine, 'n they run real smooth.

Morning Banjo,

Compared to what I'm used to my FJR is already smooth as glass. Going to flush cooling system today then I'm pretty much done with maintenance. Going to remove the air induction system for sure as it just gets in the way. Going the rubber cap method.

You know I got interested in these FJR's in about 2008. Where I lived there was a Yamaha dealer nearby and I walked by his store often. He had a 2006 FJR stuffed in among the 4 wheelers and snow machines and I would go in and look at it from time to time and even sit on it. And now I have one and it is even better than I ever thought it would be.
smile.png

By the way, this is a great forum!

Morning Banjo,Compared to what I'm used to my FJR is already smooth as glass. Going to flush cooling system today then I'm pretty much done with maintenance. Going to remove the air induction system for sure as it just gets in the way. Going the rubber cap method.

You know I got interested in these FJR's in about 2008. Where I lived there was a Yamaha dealer nearby and I walked by his store often. He had a 2006 FJR stuffed in among the 4 wheelers and snow machines and I would go in and look at it from time to time and even sit on it. And now I have one and it is even better than I ever thought it would be.
smile.png

By the way, this is a great forum!
Good thang yer flush'in all the old out. :thumbsup

I dun bought me an FZ1 in '01 'n a couple years later the FJR came to America. It looked sweet, but have'in just bought the FZ1 I wasn't in the market. Few years later I rode to Yosemite w/ friends who were on bummers. We'd stop to shed clothes, and they'd just stuff 'em in their saddle bags, while I'd be bungee'in stuff on back. (Like the hill billie I am!) then we rode sum dirt roads which played havoc on my new chain; no problem for their shafts. I thought I need me a shaft drive bagger.

Looked at the FJR again, 'n thought it too heavy, so I went w/ a pos R1200ST. It purdie much sucked on my test ride, butt I figured hey; it's a Bring Mor Wallet, it's gotta be good? Despite be'in the most expensive, (be'in used.) highest maintenance bike I ever owned, it also had the most mechanical failures of any bike I dun owned. I sold the pos at a massive loss (Good riddance!) 'n bought me a used '07 FJR. Unlike the RST, this thang felt right on the 1st ride, 'n it's been a passionate luv story ever since. :heart

After 'bout 3 yrs 'n 60K mi. I dun wadded the thing. Whilst look'in fer a new bike, the only thang I considered was another FJR, just a matter of which vintage. since my left hand was still kinka gimpy from the accident, I got me anohter '07, butt this time an AE. Hope'in to get a gen III sum day, but these gen IIs are such a deal.
wink.png

Enjoy!

I agree on all counts, jammess, telelever was superb, with no downside. Perhaps, besides wind management and ergos, the one place the RT was head and shoulders above my current ride. All other areas, the winner is the FJR.