Breakfast and a Ride--Saturday, October 27

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, Norcal to Cabo in January! JB, can you coordinate..........?
Bien. La verdad es que hablo espanol bastante bien. Podria ser el traductor. Pero no quiero ser el coordinador. Para eso, mejor Miguel Loco II.

Okay, I'm not bi.....lingual. But I got some help on the translation. Thank you for displaying that confidence in Miguel Loco, but you'd do much better. I'll work on the details. The eastern coast of the peninsula has a bunch of great camping areas I understand.

And actually, I'm working furiously to try free up this coming Saturday. Peace and out.
As a graduate of Palos Verdes High School, I am quite familiar with Baja California. This from my autobiography:

"I remember one time [when I was in high school] we went to Ensenada, Mexico, for the weekend. Mexico was just a few hours south of Los Angeles. Jim, Brad, maybe another fellah, and I drove down there and got into town in the late afternoon on a Saturday. Of course I spoke Spanish, so we felt pretty comfortable finding our way around. Our plan was a simple one: we would buy a bag of bread for a couple of bucks at the local panaderia (bakery), pick up a bottle of tequila (we did not bring pot into Mexico), some limes and salt, buy some bottle rockets, and find a place on the beach south of town where we could spread our blankets and spend the night.

"Our plan went without a hitch. We drove south of town till we found a road that cut across one of the farmers’ fields to the beach, parked Brad’s truck at the base of the dune that rose and then fell to the beach, climbed to the top of the dune, and spread out our stuff. It was late afternoon, and we watched the sun set as we ate our bread and drank our tequila. When it got dark enough we fired off the bottle rockets and had a grand ol’ time.

"When we woke up the next morning everything of value that was not nailed down had been stolen. The pickup doors were open and the glove box ransacked. Things that were just inches from our heads were missing. Jim came out the worst, having lost an expensive leather jacket and Kastinger hiking boots that he had hitch-hiked up to San Francisco to buy. Someone lost a wallet that was in the glove box. I don’t think I lost anything (I didn’t have anything of value).

"But Jim got hit the worst, and he was outraged, and worst of all he was determined to do something about it. Jim looked down the beach and spied about a mile south of us what appeared to be a fenced-in military housing complex that abutted the dunes. Jim concluded that his stuff was there and demanded that we drive over there and get it back. This was not the first time that I dutifully albeit doubtfully followed Jim. We entered the compound and drove slowly around, looking at all the homes for any sign of our missing stuff. What were we thinking? We were lucky we weren’t pulled from the vehicle and beaten up. Eventually we crawled back home (Jim limped since he had no shoes) with only our egos bruised (actually not mine—I didn’t lose any-thing—ha ha!).

"Another time Jim, Kurt, Freaky Celia, and I went to San Felipe, Mexico, which was past (south of) Ensenada (this trip was when we were in junior college). When we went there it was a small, sleepy little fishing village with a single main street down the middle. We got there on a hot, languid afternoon. There were a lot of young Americans moving about the town. We went down to the water and went in, Celia without her top. The water was bath tub warm, and it was pleasant if not refreshing in the 90 degree heat.

"Later we went into a bar, again full of Americans, only the place was still and quiet and hot. We ordered a beer, and then I approached the juke box, rolled in a couple of coins, and played some Deep Purple: “Smoke On the Water.” Celia and I got up and danced. Soon the whole place came alive, and everyone was dancing. My second song came on and we danced some more. We sat down and finished our beers, and when we got up to move on down the sidewalk, the place had already returned to the quiet, bored atmosphere we had first encountered."

So, yeah, I might be up for a trip to the steamy parts of northern Mexico....

Jb

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, Norcal to Cabo in January! JB, can you coordinate..........?
Bien. La verdad es que hablo espanol bastante bien. Podria ser el traductor. Pero no quiero ser el coordinador. Para eso, mejor Miguel Loco II.

Okay, I'm not bi.....lingual. But I got some help on the translation. Thank you for displaying that confidence in Miguel Loco, but you'd do much better. I'll work on the details. The eastern coast of the peninsula has a bunch of great camping areas I understand.

And actually, I'm working furiously to try free up this coming Saturday. Peace and out.
As a graduate of Palos Verdes High School, I am quite familiar with Baja California. This from my autobiography:

"I remember one time [when I was in high school] we went to Ensenada, Mexico, for the weekend. Mexico was just a few hours south of Los Angeles. Jim, Brad, maybe another fellah, and I drove down there and got into town in the late afternoon on a Saturday. Of course I spoke Spanish, so we felt pretty comfortable finding our way around. Our plan was a simple one: we would buy a bag of bread for a couple of bucks at the local panaderia (bakery), pick up a bottle of tequila (we did not bring pot into Mexico), some limes and salt, buy some bottle rockets, and find a place on the beach south of town where we could spread our blankets and spend the night.

"Our plan went without a hitch. We drove south of town till we found a road that cut across one of the farmers’ fields to the beach, parked Brad’s truck at the base of the dune that rose and then fell to the beach, climbed to the top of the dune, and spread out our stuff. It was late afternoon, and we watched the sun set as we ate our bread and drank our tequila. When it got dark enough we fired off the bottle rockets and had a grand ol’ time.

"When we woke up the next morning everything of value that was not nailed down had been stolen. The pickup doors were open and the glove box ransacked. Things that were just inches from our heads were missing. Jim came out the worst, having lost an expensive leather jacket and Kastinger hiking boots that he had hitch-hiked up to San Francisco to buy. Someone lost a wallet that was in the glove box. I don’t think I lost anything (I didn’t have anything of value).

"But Jim got hit the worst, and he was outraged, and worst of all he was determined to do something about it. Jim looked down the beach and spied about a mile south of us what appeared to be a fenced-in military housing complex that abutted the dunes. Jim concluded that his stuff was there and demanded that we drive over there and get it back. This was not the first time that I dutifully albeit doubtfully followed Jim. We entered the compound and drove slowly around, looking at all the homes for any sign of our missing stuff. What were we thinking? We were lucky we weren’t pulled from the vehicle and beaten up. Eventually we crawled back home (Jim limped since he had no shoes) with only our egos bruised (actually not mine—I didn’t lose any-thing—ha ha!).

"Another time Jim, Kurt, Freaky Celia, and I went to San Felipe, Mexico, which was past (south of) Ensenada (this trip was when we were in junior college). When we went there it was a small, sleepy little fishing village with a single main street down the middle. We got there on a hot, languid afternoon. There were a lot of young Americans moving about the town. We went down to the water and went in, Celia without her top. The water was bath tub warm, and it was pleasant if not refreshing in the 90 degree heat.

"Later we went into a bar, again full of Americans, only the place was still and quiet and hot. We ordered a beer, and then I approached the juke box, rolled in a couple of coins, and played some Deep Purple: “Smoke On the Water.” Celia and I got up and danced. Soon the whole place came alive, and everyone was dancing. My second song came on and we danced some more. We sat down and finished our beers, and when we got up to move on down the sidewalk, the place had already returned to the quiet, bored atmosphere we had first encountered."

So, yeah, I might be up for a trip to the steamy parts of northern Mexico....

Jb
Dude, YOU are a Renaissance........biker. And ya write good. Was that a published work?

Everyone should plan to have a full tank at the lunch spot. That will get you through the ride. Once out near Lake Barryessa there is no available gas that I know of.

I will have maps for everyone. This will be a "shared-destination" ride. Meaning that we won't need to scrupulously try to keep everyone in a tight group because all will know the route, planned stop(s), and destination. If someone who might, say, be leading the whole group, elects to execute a dazzling passing maneuver, well, that doesn't mean everyone has to. Sometimes he just can't cruise at 35 MPH behind a mentally retarded driver.... :glare:

But we're a small group, so it'll work out fine for mostly hanging together. Group's gotten larger.

See you in the morning.

Jb

I will have maps for everyone. This will be a "shared-destination" ride. Meaning that we won't need to scrupulously try to keep everyone in a tight group because all will know the route, planned stop(s), and destination.
Where'd you learn that? Though it seems like a good idea!

If someone who might, say, be leading the whole group, elects to execute a dazzling passing maneuver, well, that doesn't mean everyone has to.
Low-life, bottom-feeding, scum-sucking bikers and bikerettes! You hooligan, aggressive whippersnapper ride leaders are gonna give us all a terrible reputation.

Uhm....be careful on those first couple of roads. It'll be a nice day and you could catch some roadhogs on Wooden Valley Rd. and Hwy 121. Last time we were heading around Lake Berryessa the "protect and serve" guys were out in force, so you might want to be "nice" around the boat ramps and campgrounds and especially around small towns.

Be safe! No accident reports, m'kay?!?!

I will have maps for everyone. This will be a "shared-destination" ride. Meaning that we won't need to scrupulously try to keep everyone in a tight group because all will know the route, planned stop(s), and destination.
Where'd you learn that? Though it seems like a good idea!
From the master himself, who's all busted up now and stuff, which is a good time to catch up on Faulkner (I recommend Absalom Absalom).

Uhm....be careful on those first couple of roads. It'll be a nice day and you could catch some roadhogs on Wooden Valley Rd. and Hwy 121. Last time we were heading around Lake Berryessa the "protect and serve" guys were out in force, so you might want to be "nice" around the boat ramps and campgrounds and especially around small towns.
Be safe! No accident reports, m'kay?!?!
Appreciate the good karma. Will take your advice. Prime Directive: Get home after the ride, get off the bike, and say, "That was a Gude day...."

which is a good time to catch up on Faulkner (I recommend Absalom Absalom).
I'm having enough fun reading the Pentateuch in the 3 translations I own.

Hmmmm, Absalom, wasn't he King David's troublesome son?

Prime Directive: Get home after the ride, get off the bike, and say, "That was a Gude day...."
You purdy funnie man and a gude observer. I hope you all have a gloriously fun (and Gude) day.

And no hospital food for lunch or dinner. And no ride gear testing either. :biggrinsmiley:

I may be in the area. If you see me I will be the one on the blue FJR :rolleyes:

Unless I get called in on a new job I will try and be there. Besides I re-sculped my seat and also have to try out the new V-Stream. PM. <>< :D

Ok Mike - if you haven't recovered fully by the next ride we will find FJR with a side car for you. We will be thinking of you tomorrow - B)

Everyone should plan to have a full tank at the lunch spot. That will get you through the ride. Once out near Lake Barryessa there is no available gas that I know of.
I will have maps for everyone. This will be a "shared-destination" ride. Meaning that we won't need to scrupulously try to keep everyone in a tight group because all will know the route, planned stop(s), and destination. If someone who might, say, be leading the whole group, elects to execute a dazzling passing maneuver, well, that doesn't mean everyone has to. Sometimes he just can't cruise at 35 MPH behind a mentally retarded driver.... :glare:

But we're a small group, so it'll work out fine for mostly hanging together.

See you in the morning.

Jb
But we're a small group, so it'll work out fine for mostly hanging together. Group's gotten larger. See previous paragraph.

Wrong-Way Burleigh checking in safe and sound at 5:20. 196 miles today. I will upload pictures later under ride report section.

Thanks for a great day everyone!

Jb

Hans - great people and great ride. Thanks for putting it together.

Your last name isn't Corrigan is it? [aka: wrong way Corrigan]. I will tell you the story if you haven't heard it. It is a classic. Not Hemmingway -- but a classic none the less.