Buy a 2005 or 2006?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An item that hasn't been brought up is the "herky jerky" throttle on the 06. I have a friend with the 06 and he wasn't happy enough with the G2 throttle mod and felt that the PCIII was what it finally took to resolve the issue. You are probably looking at about $450 to resolve this "herky jerky" problem if it is an issue for you on the 06. I ride an 04 and have never had any complaints about the heat issue and the 05 your looking at has 18K so it shouldn't be a ticker. If money is a tight issue I wouldn't hesitate to go with the 05 for the above reason. Also, the extra 10K on the 05 is totally insignificant in my opinion.

Bill Hamilton

04 with 52K

I own an '05 and would not hesitate to buy another one.
That said, given what you describe above I would choose to buy the '06.

Faced with getting a 3 year old used '06 for $9k or a new leftover for about another grand, well...
While the engines can be expected to go for many more miles, other stuff on the 18K '05 bike is due or is coming due for some expensive service and/or replacement.
Fred W -

I've done some digging but cannot figure out what maintenance you are refering to. Can you please be more specific?

thanks

Gordo

The C14 doesn't need any maintenance, unlike an 05 FJR which at 18k isn't all that far from it's first valve clearance check, which just shows how poor a design they really are, unlike the C14.

My first FJR was the '05. I loved it. It was perfect for me. I'm only 5'6" and I had no problems with the size of the bike. My husband thought if the '05 was so wonderful, then the '06 would be even better. When I picked the new bike up I was shocked at the difference. Maybe to many people it isn't that big of a deal but it made a difference to me. Just a little taller....

The throttle on the '06 is harder to pull and jerky. BUT, there is less vibration with the '06. Slight differences here and there but in the end, both are great bikes. If I had it to do over again, I'd have kept my '05.

Faced with getting a 3 year old used '06 for $9k or a new leftover for about another grand, well...
While the engines can be expected to go for many more miles, other stuff on the 18K '05 bike is due or is coming due for some expensive service and/or replacement.
Fred W -

I've done some digging but cannot figure out what maintenance you are refering to. Can you please be more specific?

thanks

Gordo
That wasn't me, it was daviddowns2000. But what he is referring to is the valve check maintenance that is due per the manual at 26,600 miles. Most folks just get it done at the same time as one of the normal maintenance services at ~24k miles. It isn't all that hard to check yourself. Then if you do need adjustment (new shims) you can bring it in, or tackle the job yourself.

Oh, and don't pay any attention to radman, he's just fucking with you. The Kawasaki adjustment is at the same interval and a complete PITA and costs big $$$.

I also do not recall anyone saying the Concours handles better than an FJR.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, and the Concours handles better than an FJR. Forgot to mention that earlier.

How about this one Gordo?
Link to '06 for sale
Fred W -

thanks. Yah know, my folks used to live about two hours from there. Unfortunately, I now live on the opposite coast, and I suspect shipping would add another $600-$1000 (and life isn't going to allow me the time to ride coast to coast). BUT for some stupid reason I haven't looked on the for sale board at this site...guess I need to do that.

How about this one Gordo?
Link to '06 for sale
Fred W -

thanks. Yah know, my folks used to live about two hours from there. Unfortunately, I now live on the opposite coast, and I suspect shipping would add another $600-$1000 (and life isn't going to allow me the time to ride coast to coast). BUT for some stupid reason I haven't looked on the for sale board at this site...guess I need to do that.

Shipping? Shipping? WE don' need no steenkin' shipping...

Dude, buy a bike anywhere that you can get a good clean deal. Fly out - ride home. Instant adventure. I would not hesitate riding one of these bad boyz home from anywhere... The only question iz, are you up for it?

The most important thing to remember is this name: Garauld.

Read it again. Garauld. a.k.a. Gary.

Remember that name.

'cause whichever you decide to buy, the '05 or '06, Gary can spray it a different color than either of those two shades of ghey.

Shipping? Shipping? WE don' need no steenkin' shipping...
Dude, buy a bike anywhere that you can get a good clean deal. Fly out - ride home. Instant adventure. I would not hesitate riding one of these bad boyz home from anywhere... The only question iz, are you up for it?
Good clean deal over here. And it's not on the other coast, it's on the other other coast.

Fred W -

thanks

Gordo
That wasn't me, it was daviddowns2000. But what he is referring to is the valve check maintenance that is due per the manual at 26,600 miles. Most folks just get it done at the same time as one of the normal maintenance services at ~24k miles. It isn't all that hard to check yourself. Then if you do need adjustment (new shims) you can bring it in, or tackle the job yourself.

Oh, and don't pay any attention to radman, he's just fucking with you. The Kawasaki adjustment is at the same interval and a complete PITA and costs big $$$.

I also do not recall anyone saying the Concours handles better than an FJR.
(Sorry to continue this Hijack:)

Fred W,

You are right about most the stuff regarding the C14.

Except: Valve check intervals are every 15,000 miles. :dribble:

A lot more often than the FJR's 26,000 miles. Not to mention the extra costs

associated with doing this service on the C14.

As far as handling, the C14 does not even have compression adjustable front suspension, WTF!!

For those of you that have been here a while.. My buddy Motor659 (on the C14) told me about this thread on

his forum. Remember Fred H, well he is a C14 convert, these days. It sure seems like the honeymoon is

over (for him) regarding the C14:

https://forum.concours.org/index.php?topic=51974.60

That said.. I like the C14.. Just not as much as the FJR.

WW

(Sorry to continue this Hijack:)Fred W,

You are right about most the stuff regarding the C14.

Except: Valve check intervals are every 15,000 miles. :dribble:

A lot more often than the FJR's 26,000 miles. Not to mention the extra costs

associated with doing this service on the C14.

As far as handling, the C14 does not even have compression adjustable front suspension, WTF!!

For those of you that have been here a while.. My buddy Motor659 (on the C14) told me about this thread on

his forum. Remember Fred H, well he is a C14 convert, these days. It sure seems like the honeymoon is

over (for him) regarding the C14:

https://forum.concours.org/index.php?topic=51974.60

That said.. I like the C14.. Just not as much as the FJR.

WW

I think that FredH may be taken a bit out of context with the single thread referenced above (probably not by accident). There are basically two threads on the Concours forum - one for the "good things" and another for the "bad things" with regards to the C14. FredH posted on *both* threads. I felt like he gave accurate and well thought out posts on both. Personally after reading both threads, it is easy to see how both bike are very comparable. Frankly, I wouldn't mind having both.

Here is his other post to keep things in perspective:

https://forum.concours.org/index.php?topic=...59616#msg159616

FredH does have both a newer FJR and a C14 (as well as other bikes). Hopefully having *both* threads can give someone looking at both bikes some things to ponder.

With all of his ranting about how huge of a problem the sidestand on the FJR was when he first owned (and presumably dropped) his, I think FredH lost a little credibility on being objective.

With all of his ranting about how huge of a problem the sidestand on the FJR was when he first owned (and presumably dropped) his, I think FredH lost a little credibility on being objective.
Nobody is perfect. We all have tempers, act like children and behave badly and just plain do stupid stuff at times.

I personally have a 2007 FJR (that I like and enjoy even with its weaknesses) and have ridden a 2009 C14 and find his comments to be representitive of both bikes. In fact most of the comments by others on the thread are mostly accurate to the attibutes of both bikes. Those types of threads are the types of feedback someone needs to determine what bike fits them the best. Let each decide what he/she feels are issues or non-issues for him and go from there.

I do, however, think that is is only fair that both sides of any story be presented.