Cam Chain Tensioner

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ALFJR

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I just got my 2005 FJR back from the dealer after taking it in with noises coming out of the right side of the engine. I advised the Service Manager that I thought the noise was coming from the Cam Chain Tensioner. Sure enough, that's what they replaced and the noise is gone.

Parts and labor were covered under Y.E.S. All I had to do was sign my name when I picked the FJR up. I have 41,500 Miles on the "scooter" and the noise started about 8k miles ago.

Just thought I would put another CCT incident out there for reference. Cheers!

Dude you was scarin me with "on the pile", I though your engine Howie'd and did in fact end up in a pile.

Glad it's quiet again.

Y.E.S.???

Oh, wow. I never thought of that. I paid for mine. Just had mine replaced by my local shop at the same time as a valve adjustment. They did the cam chain and the tensioner.

My bike now runs quieter than the day I got it.

IMG_1558.jpg

IMG_1582.jpg

IMG_1613.jpg

IMG_1583.jpg

All work performed by Desert Cycle Works in Twentynine Palms, CA.

I'm starting to think this should be a regular change out every 30K-40K just to be sure. I don't mind spending $70 on those intervals, and now that' I've done it, it's not that bad and well worth it.

Not a bad idea....

"Dang, I just Howie'd my engine"

or

"Dang, my grounding block just got Howie'd"

or

"My stealer Howie'd my ignition switch when he changed it out. Now I have to wait for a new one to come it"

Almost as useful as "Gunny!"

Not a bad idea....
"Dang, I just Howie'd my engine"

or

"Dang, my grounding block just got Howie'd"

or

"My stealer Howie'd my ignition switch when he changed it out. Now I have to wait for a new one to come it"

Almost as useful as "Gunny!"
Works for me! :p

Ummm.. The wife hangs here. What do you think?

Yeah, I think I'd have to :( I mean Hell, whats another black eye?

:jester:

Howie'd is a lot easier to say than Ionbeamed. And alan'd just doesn't make sense.

But it should be limited to clanging of internal parts. And not anything done by someone. There is no "My dealer Howie'd my ignition switch." There is no "My tire Howie'd and I had to cut my trip short."

A valvetrain can Howie. A tranny can Howie. That's about it.

Damn, it's gonna suck for him, going through life as a verb! :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Howie'd is a lot easier to say than Ionbeamed. And alan'd just doesn't make sense.
Alan WAS first. You could say "He beam'd his tranny", or "His pistons are all beam'd up.

But it should be limited to clanging of internal parts. And not anything done by someone. There is no "My dealer Howie'd my ignition switch." There is no "My tire Howie'd and I had to cut my trip short."
I agree. It's got to be unexpected, random and catastrophic. :)

Damn, it's gonna suck for him, going through life as a verb! :p
Could be worse....you could be Odot and go through life as a dick. :rofl:

Personally I think "my dealer Scooter'd my ignition switch".... "My tire Scooter'd itself".. Sounds a bit more realistic..

JMO

:jester: