Can Farkles Void YES Extended Service Plan?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I had a valid extended warranty, I would be careful about what I put on the bike and especially with what I would remove before bringing it in for a warranty repair!

I don't think anyone would have issues in the case of an electrical issue if all of the electrical farkles were hooked up via a fuse block of some sort that gets power directly from the battery. They may have legitimate cause for claim denial if you have spliced into the wiring harness; especially if your work is less-than-perfect. A replacement horn with the same nominal current draw or one wired correctly through a relay should be OK but a high amp horn wired directly might be a problem for you.

If I had issues with final drive, clutch or transmission, I would not present the shop with a bike that included a trailer hitch. They may not be able to deny the claim but could make it difficult. (FJR's are not rated for towing.)

With rear suspension issues, I wouldn't have a car tire on the bike when I brought it in - no reason to give them any cause for complaint. If there is an oil leak near from the covers where your highway pegs are attached, I would make darn sure that they were removed - a leak there could be the fault of the farkle; especially if the pegs got "tweaked" in the twisties.

They might be able to deny replacement of a headlight bucket for blistering or damage to the reflectors if you are using something other than a standard H4 bulb. Could be an issue with excessive heat or UV radiation.

With respect to the use of non-Yamaha fluids etc., they can't do a thing unless they can prove that the use of the product specifically caused the problem. That said, I certainly wouldn't mention the use of non-motorcycle oil and/or oil additives if you are bringing it in for a slipping clutch. (What they don't know won't hurt them)

Don't have a K&N filter on the bike if you are bringing it in for engine issues - they can legitimately question the filter performance allowing particulates into the intake. I don't think they can say anything about oil filters unless (like Purolator) the manufacturer specifically states that their high-end car filters are not to be used on motorcycles.

Any concern about seats, risers or windshields are silly and I can't possibly imagine any issues - unless you are running a barn door screen and have trouble with the windshield mechanism.

Edit: One more thing... I think subframe breakage claims could be denied if you are using a heavy top box or any other heavy luggage on the tail of the bike. I especially wouldn't discuss the fact that you use might your case for transporting bricks over a dirt road to a construction site!

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty much 100% supposition. Every time this subject comes up there are many honest guesses as to what might cause a denial, few if any actual examples of denials and a willingness to ignore the laws written to prevent a denial.

Pretty much 100% supposition. Every time this subject comes up there are many honest guesses as to what might cause a denial, few if any actual examples of denials and a willingness to ignore the laws written to prevent a denial.
All I am saying is what I would do to prevent the POSSIBILITY that a claim might be denied. Not saying that any of these things would result in a refusal to cover the problem; just things that are outside of Yamaha's recommended operating parameters and MIGHT cause some difficulties.

Understood. It's easier to remove something that might be given the stink eye before taking it in than it is to fight a battle that could have been avoided.

The following article provides a great synopsis of the Motor Vehicle Industries approach to aftermarket modifications to vehicles: https://www.speedsportlife.com/2011/07/07/dont-panic-the-warranty-voiding-tsb-really-isnt-that-big-of-a-deal/
Interesting John. You made your first million denying warranty claims when you were a dealer, did you not?
Absolutely, nothing better than denying a few warranty claims before lunch, really increases the appetite.

It is the first thing you learn in "Stealer School" they teach it right before the lesson on stealing lollipops from old ladies waiting to cross in a cross walk:)

Thanks for all the feedback. Before I even posted this I had responded to the CL ninny "You don't know what your talking about but thanks for chiming in :) "

In 27 posts no one has said " Yes, my YES claim was denied because if x farkle". Probably because there are so few claims every made for our very reliable steeds.

I will continue keep my bike for sale confident the YES is still valid. Thanks again.

Charlie

Next time somebody says, "installing that (insert thingamagig of your choice) on your (insert vehicle of your choice) will void your warranty", tell 'em to Google:
Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act

Here's an executive summary of the part of the Act that applies to the subject at hand:

• Warranties cannot be voided simply because an after-market part is used on your vehicle.
  • Warranty repairs can only be denied when it can be proven than an after-market part caused the failure.
  • The burden of proof is on the manufacturer – the dealership must show that a specific after-market part caused a problem in order to deny a warranty claim.
  • When an after-market part is the cause of a specific problem, only the warranty for that problem can be denied. Other, unrelated problems are still covered under warranty.
  • The dealership or manufacturer cannot require consumers to use a particular brand of part or require service to be completed at a specific location as a condition of their warranty.
Thanks for providing this!!

You're welcome. I stumbled upon the Act while contemplating something far more radical than installing farkles on a motorcycle: I wanted to tow a new, 2009, automatic transmission Honda Odyssey behind my motorhome-- despite the fact that the Odyssey owners manual didn't allow four-wheel-down RV towing.

Everybody and their brother told me that if I did so, my warranty would be voided. It was suggested that if I chose to follow my foolhardy path, I should remove the towing base plate, tow car braking system, and any other evidence of towing before taking the van to a dealer, even for routine maintenance.

However, my research found that RV towing was specifically allowed with earlier Odyssey's (through the 2006 model year), and that nothing in the drive train had changed between those models and my 2009. I became convinced that the decision to remove the RV towing language from the owners manual was made by lawyers, not engineers, and the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act gave me confidence that the worst that could happen was that Honda might deny warranty on transmission or other problems directly related to the towing-- but everything else would still be covered.

And, that proved to be the case. We've had a few warranty repairs, which Honda covered without question, despite all the towing paraphernalia installed on the vehicle. We've towed the Ody many thousands of miles, and although we don't motorhome anymore, the van is still our daily driver.

Most problems result from power increasing modifications which can and are conducive to engine and drive train abuse and resultant failure.