Cee Bailey +4 +3 with flip impressions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before the ride...
I took a couple of pics before we left on the sunday ride. As you can see there is no optical distortion while looking through the screen. I personally prefer the 3/4 position because i can look over the screen. When i was in the twisties on sunday, i lowered the screen a little more than 3/4 so i could read the pavement better.

overall a great purchase and very worth the money. My wife and I put on 225 miles from bedford PA - chambersburg and down into hagerstown MD back up on rt 11 N to rte 30 west back. It was a great day for a ride and the longest trip my wife has ever been along on. With the screen in the 3/4 position my wife said that there was no buffeting and she was very comfortable. she is 5'6" 120lbs.

enjoy! and ride safe
Hi!

Do you by any chance have a link to the dealer? Your pictures shows just the kind of screen im looking for as im 6´5 (or 1,95 metric).

Thanks in advance!

/Fredrik

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello everyone,

I have a question about windshields also: I'm 6' tall and the '06 standard windshield was unbearable due to turbulence around ears area (and a lot of noises). Recently I've changed the standard windshield for original Yamaha touring version which is almost ok for me (very good for noise level though it has some turbulence at my back) but is causing a lot of problems for my wife (and 99% of the time I ride with my wife). The current and turbulence for the rear seat is so big that she started having some tooth and ears pains due to the air-flow arround head and chest... :angry: (before FJR we rode for more than 30.000 miles a Honda CBR which, although has a much lower wind protection, never caused such problems...)

Is anyone of you using touring higher windshields with no "side-effect" on the passenger?

I use also a Givi topcase of 55 liters but it has nothing to do with the turbulence since removing the topcase has no good effect.

I was thinking of something like a "Laminar-lip" which should be placed on the standard windshield without increasing the total width of the windshield, is there something like this on the market, is it working?

Thanks.

Hello everyone,
I have a question about windshields also: I'm 6' tall and the '06 standard windshield was unbearable due to turbulence around ears area (and a lot of noises). Recently I've changed the standard windshield for original Yamaha touring version which is almost ok for me (very good for noise level though it has some turbulence at my back) but is causing a lot of problems for my wife (and 99% of the time I ride with my wife). The current and turbulence for the rear seat is so big that she started having some tooth and ears pains due to the air-flow arround head and chest... :angry: (before FJR we rode for more than 30.000 miles a Honda CBR which, although has a much lower wind protection, never caused such problems...)

Is anyone of you using touring higher windshields with no "side-effect" on the passenger?

I use also a Givi topcase of 55 liters but it has nothing to do with the turbulence since removing the topcase has no good effect.

I was thinking of something like a "Laminar-lip" which should be placed on the standard windshield without increasing the total width of the windshield, is there something like this on the market, is it working?

Thanks.
Cosmin:

I have the Cee Baily 4" + 1" shield with flip and my wife loves this screen. She tells me buffeting is none existant with it up.

I am 5'11" BTW and I see no buffeting with this shield at about 3/4 in the up position. It would be perfect for your height.

Cee-Baily 4"x 1" Vs stock Yamaha screen

bikepics-1231830-full.jpg
Stock screen VS Cee-Baily 4"X 2"

Stock FJR screen with Laminar Lip

bikepics-1231817-full.jpg

Cee-Baily 4" + 1" vs stock (Front View)

bikepics-1231829-full.jpg

Cee-Baily 4" + 1" side view

bikepics-1418874-800.jpg

Hello everyone,

Thanks.
I have the cee bailey's +4 +3 and my wife says with the screen all the way up there is no buffeting at all. I'm 5'11" and she is about 5'6".

I also have a Givi v46 topcase and my findings are the same as yours.

I have never used the Laminiar-lip.

Hello everyone,

Thanks.

Meanwhile I've put back the original FJR windshield - my wife is happy again :rolleyes:

The pending issue is to find a way to increase only the height of the original windshield without changing the width - perhaps by some accessory of "Laminar Lip" type...

I'll keep searching.

Thanks.

Do you by any chance have a link to the dealer? Your pictures shows just the kind of screen im looking for as im 6´5 (or 1,95 metric).
Cee Bailey's is at https://www.ceebaileys.com/cycle/index.html
Hey Crash;

Just got to reading this thread today. From your comments regards "windshield nirvana", sounds like your satisfied with your CB. Did you get the +4 or the +6? I am 6'1" and tend to slouch when riding, so curious what you think would work best based on your experience.

I've also been considering a VStream - any thoughts on those ?

Thanks !!

Meanwhile I've put back the original FJR windshield - my wife is happy again :rolleyes: The pending issue is to find a way to increase only the height of the original windshield without changing the width - perhaps by some accessory of "Laminar Lip" type...

I'll keep searching.

Thanks.
Cee Bailey makes windshields in custom heights and widths and also with or without flip. My stock shield was horrible for buffeting my helmet when raised up. I bought a Cee Bailey stock width, +2" high with flip shield and it greatly reduced buffeting. My wife on the other hand, doesn't like the CB because she gets too much wind blast. The Vstream works better for her, so that's my touring shield with the wife.

BTW, I'm 5'11" with 32" inseam and I have the stock Yami trunk on whenever the wife rides.

Meanwhile I've put back the original FJR windshield - my wife is happy again :rolleyes: The pending issue is to find a way to increase only the height of the original windshield without changing the width - perhaps by some accessory of "Laminar Lip" type...

I'll keep searching.

Thanks.
Cee Bailey makes windshields in custom heights and widths and also with or without flip. My stock shield was horrible for buffeting my helmet when raised up. I bought a Cee Bailey stock width, +2" high with flip shield and it greatly reduced buffeting. My wife on the other hand, doesn't like the CB because she gets too much wind blast. The Vstream works better for her, so that's my touring shield with the wife.

BTW, I'm 5'11" with 32" inseam and I have the stock Yami trunk on whenever the wife rides.
Harald;

Do you notice much movement with the VStream in higher winds or higher speeds? I've read several posts that noted that the Vstream movement was bothersome or distracting. Also, since the Vstream obviously displaces a lot of air, do you have any concern about stress on the hinge system or excessive movement of the arms, etc. with that shield ? Lastly, is the CB flip relatively stable at higher speeds?

Thanks,

Jeff

Harald;Do you notice much movement with the VStream in higher winds or higher speeds? I've read several posts that noted that the Vstream movement was bothersome or distracting. Also, since the Vstream obviously displaces a lot of air, do you have any concern about stress on the hinge system or excessive movement of the arms, etc. with that shield ? Lastly, is the CB flip relatively stable at higher speeds?

Thanks,

Jeff
My CB shield is much smaller than the Vstream, so it wiggles less at all speeds but they both move some. Any movement doesn't bother me, but I'm not focused on what the shield is doing. I haven't heard of any problems with the windshield mechanism and there's guys here with LOTS of miles on their FJR's, and this is probably why I don't even concern myself with any movement.

Oh yea, one time on a closed course I took the CB shield up to 145+mph and all was very stable. ;)

Hello,

One more question: has anyone tried "cutting" a windshield to the desired height/width? I have the Yamaha touring version windscreen but it's causing turbulence problems for the passanger due to the width; since now I came back to the stock windscreen I was thinking to cut the touring one to the same width with the stock one - this way I should get rid of the side-turbulence but I can obtain the additional height needed for avoiding the disturbing noise around my helmet.

Any opinions?

Thanks.

Before the ride...
I took a couple of pics before we left on the sunday ride. As you can see there is no optical distortion while looking through the screen. I personally prefer the 3/4 position because i can look over the screen. When i was in the twisties on sunday, i lowered the screen a little more than 3/4 so i could read the pavement better.

overall a great purchase and very worth the money. My wife and I put on 225 miles from bedford PA - chambersburg and down into hagerstown MD back up on rt 11 N to rte 30 west back. It was a great day for a ride and the longest trip my wife has ever been along on. With the screen in the 3/4 position my wife said that there was no buffeting and she was very comfortable. she is 5'6" 120lbs.

enjoy! and ride safe

dsc0001uli.jpg

dsc0002bhz.jpg

dsc0003kxi.jpg

Stock overlay

dsc0006hpt.jpg

full down sitting

dsc0007h.jpg

3/4 up.. my fav position sitting

dsc0009xnp.jpg

Full up sitting

dsc0008crj.jpg
Dude, that thing is huge! :unsure:

I've been running a CalSci XL for the last year and am about 80% satisfied.

Today I ordered a CB +4 height +2 width with flip to try.

I'll report back to you in about a month.

You all seem to have more knowledge then me on the topic so i was looking for help. What is the "Proper" way to see through or over screen? Is there a proper way or is it preference? My 2009 FJR is stock. I seem to want to have a taller shield to look through and not over like I do now in top position. i am only 5'8 185 lbs. Is it not correct to want to look through it. Any thoughts? Also is it difficult to install? Do you need an addition or different gasket or other parts? Based on my heaight and at lowest seat position can someone make a suggestion of size i might want in Cee Baileys? I want to go fast and look through it but not have it super high either. As far as "Fllip" not sure what that even means? I want it too look like stock shield and keep lines of bike yet be taller maybe wide? All help appreciated. Thanks in advance.

You all seem to have more knowledge then me on the topic so i was looking for help. What is the "Proper" way to see through or over screen? Is there a proper way or is it preference? My 2009 FJR is stock. I seem to want to have a taller shield to look through and not over like I do now in top position. i am only 5'8 185 lbs. Is it not correct to want to look through it. Any thoughts? Also is it difficult to install? Do you need an addition or different gasket or other parts? Based on my heaight and at lowest seat position can someone make a suggestion of size i might want in Cee Baileys? I want to go fast and look through it but not have it super high either. As far as "Fllip" not sure what that even means? I want it too look like stock shield and keep lines of bike yet be taller maybe wide? All help appreciated. Thanks in advance.
I don't like looking through the shield to see the road ahead because things like rain/bugs/scratches make it harder to see. My preference is to look over the top of the shield. That's one of the benefits of the flip on Cee Bailey shields - the top couple inches of the shield is bent up, which tends to push the air up and over your helmet without having the raise the shield up so high that you look through it.