CenCal Death Valley 2008 run..

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Khunajawdge

Toto El Mundo!
Reaction score
Under clear skies, 75 degree, Central Coast Ride to Death Valley 2008.

Sorry…but once again, President’s Holiday weekend February 15th – 17th, was a “perfect” time to ride to DV from here in the Central Coast of California.

Seven riders assembled at the Atascadero Denny’s on Friday, February 15th at 7:30 AM.

George Jercich ('05 fjr1300) - Los Osos

Barrie Cianciulli ('07 fj r1300) - Pismo Beach

Rudy Lopez ('03 fjr1300) - Paso Robles

Don Hugh ('07 C14) - Atascadero

Bob Carlson ('05 BMW GS) - Arroyo Grande

Gary Keats (VFR 800) Paso Robles

Dave ? (BMW Rt 1150) Bay Area

Arriving late in the PM on Friday Night in Beatty, NV.;

Wes Armstrong (Triumph Sprint Triple) San Luis Obispo

Here we are after the 1st, 1 1/2 hours of riding at our first stop in McKittrick, CA. on Highway 58 heading east at 9:30AM.

The Penny Bar in McKittick;

00000020.jpg

Did I mention there was NOT a cloud in the sky, the entire trip? Range of temperatures was between 44 (night) and 78 (day) degrees F.

Note: If you find a cloud in any of the pics included please PM me, and I will personally apologize to the entire group of readers here!

Great bunch of CenCal riders. Here’s Gary and I waiting for the rest of them on Highway 178 just east of Lake Isabella.

Highway 178 near Isabella;

DSCF3049.jpg

And here are the rest of ‘em;

https://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p14/Men...08/DSCF3050.jpg

Average speed is umm?

https://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p14/Men...08/DSCF3051.jpg

Arrival at Panamint Springs and I get a much appreciated hug from Tyler (?) upon arrival! She was part of a Bay Area ride to DV (heading to Furnace Creek in DV) on the same weekend, and we ran into her group (Big group of maybe 30 riders?) around 2:30 PM at Panamint Springs. Hey Tyler!

Panamint Springs;

https://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p14/Men...08/DSCF3052.jpg

After a refreshment and some libations/salutations, our CenCal group headed out of Panamint Springs at around 3:30PM for Beatty, NV.

Passed by Stovepipe Wells and the Devil’s Cornfield.

Devil’s Cornfield:

DSCF3053.jpg

Arrived in Beatty, NV around 5:00 PM where we checked into various accommodations! Personally, I like the Stagecoach Inn.

Stagecoach Inn/Beatty, NV

DSCF3054.jpg

Little Oasis, Beatty, NV

DSCF3055.jpg

On Saturday morning, the CenCal ride group met for Breakfast at the Stagecoach Inn. Most of the rider’s decided to head over to Scotty’s castle to see the new underground steam plant facility there, and later in the day visit the BMW AirHead rally (in progress at Furnace Creek Campground in DV). Rudy Lopez decided to go the Long ride to Big Pine and back with me. All of us (8 riders) headed out of Beatty to the north on NV 95. At the intersection of NV 267, 6 riders turned off toward Scotty’ Castle, while Rudy and I headed north to NV 266. See pics:

Lida Summit;

https://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p14/Men...08/DSCF3056.jpg

A couple of FJR’s on Lida Summit;

DSCF3057.jpg

Rudy takes a Siesta on the eastern Sierra;

DSCF3058.jpg

It was a “Perfect” crossing for this series of passes! Temperatures were in the Mid-50’s, no snow or ice on the road, dry pavement, and clear skies (remember, NO clouds!).

Gilbert's Summit (CA 168);

DSCF3060.jpg

What IS this Stuff?:

DSCF3061.jpg

This is where the oldest trees on the earth live:

Westgard Pass;

DSCF3063.jpg

The ride over these summits and passes I will NEVER forget! It made me feel like we are living in a very special time on this earth! I wish "Us" luck!

Big Pine was just a pass through, but in Lone Pine on CA 395 we gassed up and headed west on the Whitney Portal RD. toward the east de-embarkation point of the tallest mountain in California and the continental USA. It was closed of course, so we took a "look see" ride through the Alabama Rocks at Mount Whitney’s eastern foothill. They looked like this;

Alabama Rocks:

DSCF3065.jpg

and ….more Alabama Rocks;

DSCF3066.jpg

Rudy and I rode across he Owens Valley, past the Saline Valley and back into the Panamint Valley, and then past Panamint Springs where we stopped for a second time on this trip for refreshments. We spoke to the waitress there and found about some future exploratory trips like; Panamint Falls and lifeguard Bob’s house. Apparently, lifeguard Bob moved from Santa Monica to Chama in the high desert, and built an underground house in Chama with a view of the entire Panamint Range.

The Reunion at the Stage Coach Inn;

DSCF3067.jpg

On Sunday Morning we left Beatty NV, through Stovepipe Wells, CA over Towne Pass for our next adventure, the town of Ballarat in the Panamint Valley in search of the grave of the famous desert prospector/hermit Charles Ferge (Seldom Seen Slim).

The grave of Seldom Seem Slim;

DSCF3069.jpg

… and here is one of the caretaker’s of Ballarat. Be sure and ask him to sell you one of those left handed soda pops!

https://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p14/Men...08/DSCF3068.jpg

Cheers, from the center of California’s Coast (until the run next year)!

khunajawdge :cowboy:

Last edited by a moderator:
George,

So sorry I missed you guys. Great report and looks like a good time. You had some spectacular views off of 266 ....I know because i was there two days later ...howerver it was cloudy and we didn't have your visibility.

Hope we can get together sometime

cheers from reno.

....john

Arrival at Panamint Springs and I get a much appreciated hug from Tyler (?) upon arrival! She was part of a Bay Area ride to DV (heading to Furnace Creek in DV) on the same weekend, and we ran into her group (Big group of maybe 30 riders?) around 2:30 PM at Panamint Springs. Hey Tyler
Hey George, it is always fun to meet folks in the flesh (so to speak! :) ) out on the road! We had 29 bikes and 31 people total on our trip... we were a veritable parade!! B) As you mentioned, the weather was spectacular. This was my 5th trip to DV and I have to say it was the best one yet (last year we got to meander through flash floods and snow on the first pass out of DV... :dribble: ). I took a couple of pics... well, okay 577 to be exact... I pulled together a smattering of my favorites into a Photostory. If anyone is interested in taking a peek, here it is:

Hope to see you again sometime soon!!

Cheers,

Tyler