Cheap A** tool

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LAGO RUNNER

Reaction score
So I removed my rear wheel to check and see if there was enough moly on the splines (There was hardly any on the shaft splines) and all was going well on the reassembly, until I was using my cheap harbor freight torque wrench on the rear axle pinch bolt. I set the thing to 11 ft lbs. and began to tighten the bolt. True I should have known that it was not clicking at 11 lbs sooner, but just as I thought "this doesn’t feel right ...SNAP!... the bolt broke on the far side of the pinch.

After many curse words, almost hitting a passing car when I threw the P.O.S. torque wrench in the street, and a buying a broken bolt tap and removal tool kit I was able to remove the broken end without damaging anything else.

My question, ... do I need to order a new bolt from Yamaha or will the same size bolt from the hardware store work?

Last edited by a moderator:
So I removed my rear wheel to check and see if there was enough moly on the splines (There was hardly any on the shaft splines) and all was going well on the reassembly, until I was using my cheap harbor freight torque wrench on the rear axle pinch bolt. I set the thing to 11 ft lbs. and began to tighten the bolt. True I should have known that it was not clicking at 11 lbs sooner, but just as I thought "this doesn’t feel right ...SNAP!... the bolt broke on the far side of the pinch.
After many curse words, almost hitting a passing car when I threw the P.O.S. torque wrench in the street, and a buying a broken bolt tap and removal tool kit I was able to remove the broken end without damaging anything else.

My question, ... do I need to order a new bolt from Yamaha or will the same size bolt from the hardware store work?
Any bolt of the same type and grade will work. 11 ft/lbs isn't a high grade requirement, so just get a stainless steel replacement.

+1 on the basic idea that the Harbor Freight tools are NOT worth their cheap price.

More importantly, as pointed out by another poster, if you can get the same size and grade from another source, that would be OK.

On stuff like this, I would just bite the bullet and order the correct bolt from Yamaha. You'll probably pay a few extra bucks for the bolt... but you'll have the peace of mind knowing that it is the correct grade. 11 ft-lbs isn't much torque. You might want to practice to develop a feel for different torque levels. Clamp a bolt in a vise and try different torque levels just to get some sense of different values. If you've been turning wrenches for a while, you develop a feel for the right range.

On a related note, this mission (to check moly on shaft splines) is another case of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it," especially on an 08.

On a related note, this mission (to check moly on shaft splines) is another case of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it," especially on an 08.
Why is that, the '08 splines don't need grease? :blink:

Lago,

Going the cheap route is what lead to your posting this highly entertaining story. Do yourself a favor and get an original Yamaha bolt. Also buy a good quality torque wrench. Remember when you are done using your torque wrench to set it back to zero. I still love Harbor Freight but you have to know what to buy and what not to buy when you shop there.

Good luck,

John

I have used Harbour Freight plenty of times - you just have to be selective on what you buy. I wouldn't buy a precision measuring tool such as a torque wrench, but I would buy box wrenches and pliers from 'em.

Sorry about the bolt, but it sounds like you're on your way to getting it fixed. I agree, you can replace it with a like bolt from Tractor Supply if you can find one. They carry up to grade 8.

Herkypilot

... almost hitting a passing car when I threw the P.O.S. torque wrench in the street....

:lol: :lol: :lol: Sorry for your troubles but thank you for the laugh.

+1 for the laugh.

More than a few things have exited my garage at a high rate of velocity...propelled by my anger and a terrible uncontrollable instinct to chunk something when pissed. :grrr:

Except for HANDTOOLs I'm getting away from cheap Craftsman knockoff crap too. They just rebadge cheap stuff.

Lago,
Going the cheap route is what lead to your posting this highly entertaining story. Do yourself a favor and get an original Yamaha bolt. Also buy a good quality torque wrench. Remember when you are done using your torque wrench to set it back to zero. I still love Harbor Freight but you have to know what to buy and what not to buy when you shop there.

Good luck,

John

Already bought a craftsman torque wrench. ordered that bolt today..

Thanks for the response

Any good stainless bolt will work fine. Let me know if you can't find one local and I'll send ya one. :thumbsup:

Cool Thanks