Cigars

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monty

Reaction score
Hope this isn't an unacceptable thread but remenber awhile back a thread about cigars but I wasn't smoking them at the time.

Some of you might remember a couple of years ago I had a bout with pneumonia and the doctors thought I might also have a touch of COPD. Turns out I was misdiagnosed due to some side effects I was having from an anti anxiety medication. In either event, I don't have COPD but I did quit smoking cigarettes as a result.

I recently took up puffing on a cigar while I was outside working in the yard or driving in the cage. My son in law smokes Diamond Crowns but those are a bit above my pocket book.

Was wonderinbg if some of you cigar guys could recommend some lesser priced brands that are of good quality. I orded a sample kit on line and it came with a couple of Rocky Patels and those are nice.

Would appreciate your comments.
sadsmiley.gif

I would suggest trying single sticks from a local shop. Then when you find something that you like, check online prices at cigars intrenational or famous, if you'd like to save a few bucks.

If you want to low priced options for working in the yard, Arturo Fuenty Curly Heads are made from the same AF tobacco but are the cut-end scraps of their long filler premium blends. They used to be a 90 cent cigar but now run over a buck. Don't get the Deluxe because it's simply the same cigar with a band on it and a higher price.

Cigars are nasty!-Monica L.
Fixt.

I like the Macanudo Court Cafe. A smaller cigar in its own aluminum tube with a cedar wrap. Not too pricey at about $100 for a box of 30. Flavorful but mild and easy to pack on the bike.

I like the Macanudo Court Cafe. A smaller cigar in its own aluminum tube with a cedar wrap. Not too pricey at about $100 for a box of 30. Flavorful but mild and easy to pack on the bike.
Nice! I'll have to check those out. I'm partial to Macanudo, Monte Cristo and Romeo y Julietta. But I'll try any stogie once, by a camp fire - with a peaty single malt.

I don't smoke often, but when I do, its usually Avo, number 7 or 9. Not cheap, but if you light only 4x a year, its a winner. Back when I was a starving grad student, I used to buy in bulk from the Cuban cigar factory in San Diego.

La Perla Habana is a good cigar for about 50 bucks a box from Cigars International. Started out as a boutique cigar, so to speak, from the cigar boom years ago. Stayed around due to popular demand. There's about 4 kinds. Black Pearl Rojo is my favorite. If your willing to spend some more money, try La Aroma De Cuba. Little more full bodied. $125/ box. Goes great with Hornitos reposado tequila. It aint Patron but it's really good sipping tequila for the price.

Local shop is a good place to start, usually some shady characters hanging out that would be glad to make a suggestion.

Often shops have a shop brand that's decent. Try an Aroma de Cuba, an affordable stick.

El Toro Joe talks trash because he's seen me wake up out of the tent and light up the stick I didn't finish the night before.

I have been just picking out anything at or under the $5.99 price lately. Which works for me as I like a little variety and, I'm cheap. (Rather spend the money on the scotch instead of the cigars)

So I suggest doing the same. Go to a real cigar store and pick up stuff in your price range. You didn't say what you preferred in a cigar (mild to full flavor) or what size (I generally like Churchill size cigars)

I've cut down a bit, mostly do to the weather, as I won't smoke in the house, but once spring actually shows up, I'll go through 3-5 cigars a week. My local shop has had a good price on Punch cigars, so I've been smoking a few of those.

Rocky Patel Vintage cigars are one of my favorites.

Oh, here's my original thread ...that started about scotch but did add cigars along the way:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/102572-your-favorite-scotch/?hl=scotch

And I'll add that so far I really like Oban (14year old ) scotch as my "go to"

Last edited by a moderator: