Clutch master cylinder

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Imp

Reaction score
My clutch master cylinder is going ( well it is gone), has any one changed the cylinder ?. I bought the kit from biker bandit but need some advice on how to change it out.

My clutch master cylinder is going ( well it is gone), has any one changed the cylinder ?. I bought the kit from biker bandit but need some advice on how to change it out.
Cant you just reverse engineer it? I am also wondering why it is shot? Or more interesting what is shot? Is there a rebuild kit for these? Just asking for information. Cant see what could wear out other then any o rings on the plunger or something?

Wish you well and hope you get it squared away with little pain.

Imp, we need more info.

Was the master cylinder damaged in a drop, or it is just not engaging the clutch? Are you able to bleed it, through the slave cylinder, or does it not build up pressure?

If the seal is worn out or damaged, as LAF says, just remove the lever and piston, clean it thoroughly, inspect for damage, fit the new seal, re-assemble and bleed.

I have never had to do this on my FJR but I can't see it being different to other bikes? I'm sure more advice will be coming.

Good luck with this.

I started to have problems with the clutch not totally disengaging , so I bled the system. It seems like there is not enough pressure building to disengage the clutch. I have found that the master cylinder piston is not fully returning ( in comparison to my wires 2007). Also the rubber boot that covers the assembly is cracked ( I don't think that this is the cause). No damage was done to the lever such as a drop.

My 2012 FJR with 2200 miles goes into the shop June 3 for clutch not fully disengaging.

I was told they have had this problem before.

I'll post the result when I find out what the problem is.

My 2012 FJR with 2200 miles goes into the shop June 3 for clutch not fully disengaging. I was told they have had this problem before.

Possibly they will do a clutch soak https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/114431-08-fjr-rr-clutch-plates/?do=findComment&comment=544956

Doesn't sound like this is Imp's problem - unless something was lost in translation.
smile.png

Keep us posted.

Thanks.

Al.

The master cylinder should not be gone just yet..... most disengagement issues are probably trapped air, which could have got in if you used a mity-vac type bleed and did not put Teflon tape around the bleeder screw threads to prevent air from getting in. Could happen with regular bleeds too, but hopefully less likely. I'd try a regular bleed with teflon tape on the threads. Speed bleeders work really well as their threads are sealed when you get them.

Are you pulling the lever right to the bars? Lever adjusted properly... i.e., say setting 3? The slave doesn't travel much so needs all the help it can get. Gen 1's moreso than Gen II's based on their larger piston. Gen 1 easier effort less travel, Gen II more effort more travel, but still marginal if the clutch lever isn't at the right setting.

If it's still bad after all that, rebuilding either or both master and slave aren't all that hard.

Now, do we bring up the question of clutch plate soak? If it was OK previously and you ride regularly, should be OK.

OK it was the bushing, I could not find a Yamaha bushing but the Honda place had one that fit. I cleaned everything ( ie lever and such with mineral spirits) lubed with white lithium grease and now everything is right in Feejer land. Hit 91,000 miles today and the smiling continues. I thank everybody for the help .

My 2012 FJR with 2200 miles goes into the shop June 3 for clutch not fully disengaging.

I was told they have had this problem before.

Possibly they will do a clutch soak https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/114431-08-fjr-rr-clutch-plates/?do=findComment&comment=544956

Doesn't sound like this is Imp's problem - unless something was lost in translation.
smile.png

Keep us posted.

Thanks.

Al.

2012 FJR

Was in the shop for clutch not disengaging fully. After about 400 miles problem is back. Don't have much faith in dealer.

Anyone have any ideas.

Stan