Colt Vs Glock

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No quite. I was referencing the SW40 and the SW9.

"I was my department's Glock Armorer for almost a decade and we had/have Glock 22's and 23's fail regularly. The two most common issues we have is broken strikers and sheared off frame rails, but we also seem to replace a lot of extractors. And that is with our replacing entire recoil spring assemblies every thousand rounds. I don't think we have a single department Glock that hasn't been rebuilt more than once and now every gun must be tested every 6 months. Issues with .40 Glocks are well known in the LE world and even Glock has acknowledged it. The entire Gen4 line is response to these issues. I have had more than one Glock rep try and explain why all the design issues and failures while urging we just change to the Gen4's. Fortunately I now have the rank to make decisions and my agency will be all M&P by the end of the year."

https://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-sigma-sd-pistols/233763-sd9-apex-awesome.html#post136355284

Here are the pictures of the various configurations:

https://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-sigma-sd-pistols/124477-ultimate-sigma-picture-thread-thingy.html

I am 1911 and Browning Hi-Power guy but I have to say, I have an M&P Pro .40 and it has been flawless.

mp-01.jpg

Bringing back an older topic here, but over the weekend I got to shoot a friend's FN Herstal Five-Seven Tactical. That's a mean little bastard of a gun! It's a semi-auto, fires a 5.7x28mm round, which looks like a varmint rifle round, and sends those little bullets out the barrel at over 2200fps. Holds 20 rounds.
Damn I'll bet those will go over and meet the neighbors! :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
THIS oughta keep this discussion lively for a while --

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BM-DGaNmtA0

The 1911 for a new century. More info HERE!
That looks like a really good answer to a question no one ever asked. Here's an idea for an improved version of that gun: Saw it in half down the center, then, you can independently target with each side. I'll check and see if anyone makes the "separated double gun" yet...

ade2801ccc49956ae60571d3bd9a48f0.jpg

My Q is - why choose Colt vs Glock?

ColtGlock2002.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My Q is - why choose Colt vs Glock?

ColtGlock2002.jpg
Because Colts rock, and Glocks suck!

Haha...Just kidding.

I think it kind of went 1911 vs. Glock, but not sure. I do know that I wouldn't buy a Colt 1911 unless it was an older one that I would buy to collect. There are a lot of really nice 1911 pistols out these days, and Colt is not one of them. Now...My Colt AR15? I love that rifle, and if something catastrophic happened to it, I would replace it with another Colt the next day.

As with motorcycles, opinions are like assholes...Everyone has one. I love my 1911s, but I also really like my Sigs. As much as I talk crap about Glocks, my off-duty gun is a Glock 27 that I absolutely love. I don't like that fact that Glock's quality has seemed to suffer in recent years, while S&W and others have improved, but Glock will pay for that in the end, not me.

Either way, shoot what is comfortable for you, because if you can't shoot it well, then there is no point in having it.

I think it kind of went 1911 vs. Glock, but not sure. I do know that I wouldn't buy a Colt 1911 unless it was an older one that I would buy to collect.<snip>
The Colt pictured is one of the 1991 models that continued the serial #'s of the originals. I got a deal on it back then and this one has never been fired. I had intended to have it tricked out for a match gun by Wilson's or similar but never happened so it just sits in my safe.

The Glock 21 however I have shot quite a bit altho it's had no work either. I like the increased capacity (13+1); I've had no issues with it but I certainly don't put it to the kind of use that you would or anyone that has to qualify or otherwise keep their skills up regularly. I need to break this or one of mine out more and take it to the Police Hall of Fame indoor range down in Titusville and start shooting again.

There are a lot of really nice 1911 pistols out these days, and Colt is not one of them. Now...My Colt AR15? I love that rifle, and if something catastrophic happened to it, I would replace it with another Colt the next day.

As with motorcycles, opinions are like assholes...Everyone has one. I love my 1911s, but I also really like my Sigs. As much as I talk crap about Glocks, my off-duty gun is a Glock 27 that I absolutely love. I don't like that fact that Glock's quality has seemed to suffer in recent years, while S&W and others have improved, but Glock will pay for that in the end, not me.

Either way, shoot what is comfortable for you, because if you can't shoot it well, then there is no point in having it.
Never owned a Sig, but yes I know they are one of the best. Many good 1911's out there for sure. I also have a Colt AR15 HBar - now that is a good shooter! Need to get a better trigger group for it and I've been stocking up on M855 62 gr also. Dangit, guns & ammo are pricey as them motorcycles!

Bringing back an older topic here, but over the weekend I got to shoot a friend's FN Herstal Five-Seven Tactical. That's a mean little bastard of a gun! It's a semi-auto, fires a 5.7x28mm round, which looks like a varmint rifle round, and sends those little bullets out the barrel at over 2200fps. Holds 20 rounds.

https://www.fnherstal.com/index.php?id=269&backPID=263&productID=66&pid_product=295&pidList=263&categorySelector=5&detail=&cHash=b5dcbec1bd
It was cool to see this gun (FN Five-Seven) featured on Top Shot last night (4/17/12). Geez those guys really tore it up with that thing!

I am a handgun fan so that includes BOTH Glock and 1911. My main carry is a Glock 23 in 40S&W, my IDPA gun is a Glock 17 in 9mm and my "fun" gun is my Kimber Tactical Custom II. I shoot them all well so doesnt matter to me.

The 1911's are really nice to shoot, but for me the best feeling gun is the Beretta 96 (.40sw, or the 92 is the 9mm version). The large trigger guard is nice for shooting with gloves in winter. I will admit though I can't hit a damn thing with mine. Great looking gun too, I spot them in TV shows and movies all the time.

92A16.jpg

For shooting fun and accuracy, I really love my Ruger I just bought a few months ago, .41 mag. Kicks pretty good (feels a lot like a .44) but that 7 1/2" barrel and 5 pound weight makes it easy to line up. Downside? $27.00 for a box of 20 shells....

0863.jpg

I have fired Glock's enough to be familiar with the weapon. Does it work, yes. Do I like or prefer them? A resounding no. I have for most of my adult life carried a Colt 1911 and will continue to do so. One in my stable has a documented 250,000 plus rounds through it, currently on its third barrel. I am sure there is a Glock somewhere that has shot as many or more, but not from my hands. Carry and shoot what you like, and I'l do the same.