Combining PCIII Maps - A different Take

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rok312

Reaction score
Just wanted to share something I tried with good results this past weekend. I've been pouring over the different "PCIII Map" threads, most notably the following two:

UselessPickles Converted Maps

Another good GenII Map Thread

When I first got my PCIII, I went directly with the map provided by UselessPickles (the one for stock exhaust and air filter). Bike ran awesome - no complaints. THANKS USELESSPICKLES!!!

I ran with that for a few weeks, but then decided to give the stock map provided by PowerCommander a try just for giggles. Right away, I noticed that I lost some of the smoothness off idle and b/w gear transitions, as well as noticed the return of some 'buzziness' at cruising speeds. However, roll ons and WOT seemed noticeably peppier.

So I tried what others did, as mentioned in a few posts from the above threads - I took the "smoothness" map from 0-2500 RPM and copy/pasted that to the stock PC map. That way, the theory goes, you would get the benefit of the smoothness off idle, and then the power in the upper RPMs. Loading this map, I did indeed find that the off idle transition smoothed out once again, and yes, the top end seemed to still be there - however, I did not get back the smoothness between high speed/RPM gear transitions, nor the smoothness at cruising speeds.

This, of course, makes sense. Since the 'smoothness map' values are only 'active' below 2500RPM, high speed gear transitions and smoothness at cruising speed is going to be outside of the 'smoothness' RPMs. So I thought about it for awhile. I wanted the "smoothness" map active at off idle, during gear transitions, and at cruising speed. Where I really wanted the stock PC map to "kick in" was at higher speed roll-ons and WOT. I decided that instead of focusing on RPMs (the rows in the PC software), maybe I should focus on the Throttle Position (columns) - most notably 40 up through 100%. Idle/Gear transitions, and even cruising, is going to be below 60% throttle. At and above 60% is where I want the oomph.

So I poked around the PCIII software, using the map compare tool, to compare the two different maps (UselessPickles vs the stock PC map) at the different throttle positions. What I found was that the two maps were pretty darn close at 40% throttle. At 60% and up, they were still pretty close in terms of %fuel settings - however, there was a noticeable difference in the %fuel "arch" over time. The stock PC map comes on richer sooner and stays richer (although doesn't get any richer at its higher point than the Pickles map).

Soooooo - I copied all the rows in the 60% to 100% throttle COLUMNS from the stock PC map and pasted them over the 60-100 portion of the UselessPickles map. Essentially, I now have UselessPickles smoothness map active at idle, gear transitions, and at cruise, and then the stock PC 'oomph' where I want it (or so the theory goes).

I was able to get a couple hundred miles in with this map and so far I really likey. From stop to start - smooth. Transition b/w gears - smooth. Cruising at 65, 75, 85...yep, smooth. And last but not least, it feels like I've retained the 'oomph' when I crack open the throttle.

If anyone is still reading at this point and wants to give the map a try and report back, here is a copy of the "alternatively converted" map:

UselessPickles Merged with Stock PC Map

Have fun!

Thanks....have been using the stock uselesspickles map.. I'll give yours a try...

Rok,

I think in theory your map should work great. Makes sense to me, twist the throttle past 60% to get the fast map, below 60% for the smooth map. Have you tried different change over points, like 40% instead of 60% ? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Rok,I think in theory your map should work great. Makes sense to me, twist the throttle past 60% to get the fast map, below 60% for the smooth map. Have you tried different change over points, like 40% instead of 60% ? Thanks
I would suggest trying the smoothness map up to 20% throttle and the stock map from 40% to 100% throttle. I've found that I rarely exceed 20% throttle during normal (casual) riding (based on data logs from my Motty AFR Tuner).

Here's a few cruising speed throttle positions for example:

• 25mph in 3rd: ~3% throttle
  • 40mph in 4th: ~4.5% throttle
  • 45mph in 5th: ~5% throttle
  • 75mph in 5th: ~20% throttle

When accelerating casually from a stop, I just barely get up to 20% throttle. This light acceleration range is where the benefits of the smoothness map would be most noticeable.

I would suggest trying the smoothness map up to 20% throttle and the stock map from 40% to 100% throttle. I've found that I rarely exceed 20% throttle during normal (casual) riding (based on data logs from my Motty AFR Tuner).
Thanks for the suggestion - I'll try that!

For those playing along, here is a converted map based on UselessPickles suggestion:

Wally's @ 0-10 Throttle, M419 @ 20-100 Throttle

Wally's @ 0-20 Throttle, M419 @ 40-100 Throttle <----Added via edit - should have been this one to begin with. Sorry!!!

I just created the file...have not uploaded to my PCIII yet, so I'll report feedback at a later date.

Rok,

I tried the 60% map and seemed to work fine, but I agree with Pickles that the 20% may be the way to go...I'll give it a try.

For those playing along, here is a converted map based on UselessPickles suggestion:

I just created the file...have not uploaded to my PCIII yet, so I'll report feedback at a later date.
I think you made the transition too low in the throttle range. The wally map should probably go up to (including) 20% throttle. Then again, maybe 10% is good enough. Someone should try both :)

I think you made the transition too low in the throttle range. The wally map should probably go up to (including) 20% throttle. Then again, maybe 10% is good enough. Someone should try both :)
Crap. You're right. What can I say...it was past my bedtime when I did it. :dribble:

I updated the previous post with a correction. Sorry folks!!!

Anybody out there know if this type of map would work for an '06 FJR used primarily in Colorado? Ever since I installed the new ECU for the altitude problem, my bike is nowhere as smooth as it was before nor is the power delivery as linear. I have stock pipes with a K&N filter. Installed the P/C III with stock map but it is no better. Any advice would be appreciated.

Anybody out there know if this type of map would work for an '06 FJR used primarily in Colorado? Ever since I installed the new ECU for the altitude problem, my bike is nowhere as smooth as it was before nor is the power delivery as linear. I have stock pipes with a K&N filter. Installed the P/C III with stock map but it is no better. Any advice would be appreciated.
That's the problem with these "canned" maps that were not custom tuned for your bike. They were tuned for someone elses bike that may be slightly different, and at an unknown elevation, temperature, etc. The bike does make adjustments for elevation, temperature, etc., but it does it under the assumption that the stock ECU is in full control of the injectors. So a PCIII map tuned at a different elevation may not be ideal for you. The only way to really get the "right" map is to get your bike custom tuned on a dyno, or get one of the self-tuning systems (PCV + AutoTune or Motty AFR Tuner).

That said, the maps being discussed here are for a Gen II (2006+) FJR with stock exhaust, so there's no harm in trying it out to see if it feels better to you.

Now, can we (i.e. anyone but me) make one with a 40% changeover with Two-Brother's VALE exhaust, stock airbox, and O2 sensor disconnected? I tried to combine the Useless Pickles map with the map from 2bros with a 40% changeover, but it seemed to just run hotter, not smoother/faster. I'll see if I can try it again and post my map.

Right Click and Save

Wally's @ 0-20 Throttle, M419 @ 40-100 Throttle <----Added via edit - should have been this one to begin with. Sorry!!!

I just bought a PCIII (new from an eBay guy) for my stock '07, mostly to help with off-thottle smoothness in the curves. Reading all these threads (and especially this one) have been really helpful.

rok312- I tried clicking on your linkies to get the combined Wally's 0-20%/M419 40-100% map. I get an error message. Any help would be most appreciated. I'll drop ya a PM too.

rok312- I tried clicking on your linkies to get the combined Wally's 0-20%/M419 40-100% map. I get an error message. Any help would be most appreciated. I'll drop ya a PM too.

Links have been re-established. Thanks, DaJudge for letting me know!

Links have been re-established. Thanks, DaJudge for letting me know!
[SIZE=12pt]Many thanks to rok312 for the combo Wally/M419 map.[/SIZE]

The PCIII arrived today via the big brown toy truck. I installed it, disconnected the O2 sensor, set my CO levels back to stock and loaded up the combo map.

I was able to do a brief test ride about dinner time and initial results are promising. The biggest change I noticed was that the throttle just off idle was smoother and more predictable. Previously, I was a bit leary of rolling on the gas in a curve. Not anymore. :yahoo:

Next, I've gotta try to figure out the whole throttle setting function on the PCIII. :blink:

I'm getting Herkypilot's PCIII. The mod'd map sounds like what I'm looking for, with the stock pipes and airbox. Not having played with the PCIII before, does it require the O2 sensor to be disconnected in all cases?

Should be interesting.