Comcast High Speed Internet

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRSTAR

Fuggin' Just Ride the best sport-tourer on the
Reaction score
We converted from ATT DSL to Comcast Internet via cable yesterday. The way that ATT was able to get internet to the other side of the house was with an E-wire wireless set-up. All of it was done through the phone line and it was slow.

I now need to get internet to a laptop, X-Box and another computer at the other side of the house. Comcast installed one modem in my room and hooked up my computer only via cable. I have been told that I can buy a wireless router that will send a signal to the other computers but the other PC does not have a wireless card nor does the X-Box. Microsoft has a wireless set up available for the X-Box for about $100. The lap top has its wireless card and should work.

What are my options and what brands of wireless cards will work and what brand of router? Where would be the place to buy these electronics and about how much should I spend to assure it all works?

Best Buy.......Blue......Linksys. Beyond that you'd need to become a seasoned wireless nerd.

We converted from ATT DSL to Comcast Internet via cable yesterday. The way that ATT was able to get internet to the other side of the house was with an E-wire wireless set-up. All of it was done through the phone line and it was slow.
I now need to get internet to a laptop, X-Box and another computer at the other side of the house. Comcast installed one modem in my room and hooked up my computer only via cable. I have been told that I can buy a wireless router that will send a signal to the other computers but the other PC does not have a wireless card nor does the X-Box. Microsoft has a wireless set up available for the X-Box for about $100. The lap top has its wireless card and should work.

What are my options and what brands of wireless cards will work and what brand of router? Where would be the place to buy these electronics and about how much should I spend to assure it all works?

All different makes of wireless cable routers out there. Most any one will do the job and most will also give you a hardware NAT firewall in the bargain. I do like Linksys, but I have a Dlink and it works fine too.

If your switching from DSL to cable, welcome to the world of internet speed.

I have a Linksys cable modem and a Liksys wireless router in 802.11n. I think the whole set up was around $200 but that was last year so it's probably less now. My house is a 3 level house and I can get a good signal to my laptop anywhere in the house or out on my deck.

You will need to buy NIC cards for your other desktop and probably for your X-Box I don't know much about the X-Box because I don't own one.

Go to www.cnet.com. There you can compare MFG'rs and models to see which performs best and see who has the best prices.

I have been wireless at my house for 7 years and I love it, but when I had 802.11b I really did not have the range I needed to reach through the whole house. 802.11n fixed that nicely.

Little known but extremely useful product for extending ethernet connections across house distances.

Netgear Wall-plug Ethernet Extender kit

Cost about $85

Great little product

Most wireless routers have 4 RJ45 jacks for 4 hard wired Ethernet connections if you feel like snaking some cat5 cable to the X-box, that's how I wired my son's X-box and then he went and spent the money on the wireless add-on anyway. Oh well, it's his money.

I'm using a Belkin (F5D9230) wireless router that was easy to set up, provides a good signal, and has been on for a year so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the replies.

Hopefully I will get this resolved soon.

My kids are rushing me to make a decision on this because they cannot play their online games. :lol:

Hard to go wrong with Linksys. A product so good Cisco bought them up.

I do networking for a living. Personal experience has been that Dlink is hit-or-miss for people. For some it works, others bang their heads against the wall and never get it to work right. I went with Netgear at home this last time and I can hardly wait for it to die so I can replace it with another Linksys. They work and aren't expensive.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have a crawl space under you house run cat 6 cable. Its not too hard. Its much faster than wirless.
Cat6 is not really required unless you are going gigabit. If your NICs and switches are all 100Mb Cat5 is good enuff. But if you foresee ever wanting to upgrade to gigabit speeds then it may be prudent to spend the extra coin on the better cable now.