Corbin Canyon close Yeah or Nay

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whybu1

Reaction score
Anyone running one of these? Thinking of picking one up and wanted to get some feedback on comfort.

Thanks

My '04 had a "close" on it when I bought it. Couldn't wait to get rid of it. Unless you're like 5'7" or less, I don't think you'll be happy with it. I'm 5'8" and found it just didn't let me move around at all. It just constantly slid me all the way into the tank and it was hard as a rock. I don't miss it one bit.

I've got a close on my 04....since new....been to 2 WFO's & 1 EOM with no problems & I'm 5'9 & 1/2 " tall....& I have no problems moving around on it....(worked great @ the total control school this summer)....so I think it's a very subjective thing...."one man's nightmare....is another man's dream"....

I've got a close on my 04....since new....been to 2 WFO's & 1 EOM with no problems & I'm 5'9 & 1/2 " tall....& I have no problems moving around on it....(worked great @ the total control school this summer)....so I think it's a very subjective thing...."one man's nightmare....is another man's dream"....
Exactly. You won't know if you like it till you try it.

I'm 5'10", 30" inseam. I also have HELI risers as well. The riding position works for me but I wanted a combination that sat me more straight up due to lower back problems. This combo works for me, but the seat is still quite firm. For next season, I'm debating on tossing a sheepskin cover on the seat at least for long rides for a bit of cushion and air circulation.

I am only about 5'7 and while it was nice to be able to sit completely upright, I felt way too close to the tank. Also, when I start to get into anything twisty, I like to be able to slide my but back another inch to get into a more aggressive riding position.

With the close saddle on, I couldn't slide back, and it resulted in me feeling very uncomfortable in the tight stuff.

I am only about 5'7 and while it was nice to be able to sit completely upright, I felt way too close to the tank. Also, when I start to get into anything twisty, I like to be able to slide my but back another inch to get into a more aggressive riding position.
With the close saddle on, I couldn't slide back, and it resulted in me feeling very uncomfortable in the tight stuff.
Can I ask what Corbin saddle it is that you are referring to as the "close"? I have been reading everything that I can find about the Corbin saddles here, trying to determine if my wife would be happy with it. She is about 5'6", with about a 32" inseam, and she is not quite able to reach the ground with her feet flat. It looks like the Corbin is the only saddle that gets the rider closer to the ground.

John

Can I ask what Corbin saddle it is that you are referring to as the "close"? I have been reading everything that I can find about the Corbin saddles here, trying to determine if my wife would be happy with it. She is about 5'6", with about a 32" inseam, and she is not quite able to reach the ground with her feet flat. It looks like the Corbin is the only saddle that gets the rider closer to the ground.

John
https://www.corbin.com/yamaha/yfjr13_cds.shtml

I'm 5' 9" I had the standard, I found I was not sitting in the "pocket", it was nice to have the added room but when in highway mode I found

I was sitting up on the tank actually just in front of the pocket. Friend of mine was trading in his FJR with the "close" corbin. It was a one shot deal, if I didn't like it the dealer now owned my standard... I swapped the standard and haven't regretted it yet!

Anyone running one of these? Thinking of picking one up and wanted to get some feedback on comfort.
I have a leather "close" on my '05. I'm 5'9"ish and 180 lbs... 30-32 inseam. Generally I like it and am reasonably happy with the purchase. The only real "gripe" I have about it is that it doesn't work out real will with the Givi tail rack. The close is a single piece seat and the Givi rack protrudes over the back of the seat just a little. The quick and dirty fix for this is to lift the saddle by the front instead of the back. It's just flexible enough that you can pull the front away from the tank and then lift it. It takes a little while to figure it out, but once you've done it, it's easy.

As for riding posture and comfort... the Corbin is wider than the stock Yamama seat, but it's also lower. I can get a little closer to "flat-footed" with the Corbin than I can with the stocker, but it doesn't make too much difference. I can grip the tank a little better and it's less of a stretch for me to reach the bars. I've done a 50CC on the Corbin and it was manageable... probably way better than the stocker for that distance and time. But, when you're doing almost 48 hours straight, any saddle is going to be a PITA. ;)

You don't say where you are. Your best bet is to find someone in your area and do a quick saddle swap and test it out. If you're anywhere near Washington DC, you're welcome to give mine a shot.

Hey, Shorty, I quit counting the 1/2 inches when I was 12 :p

you sure got that 2nd part right

Thanks all, looks like I will stay with the stock seat. At 6'2" it sounds like I would have issues. Lower is definately not a plus for me. I had a Corbin seat on my CBR and loved it. Guess I can spend the extra $$ on my Jeep instead. :yahoo:

Thanks all, looks like I will stay with the stock seat. At 6'2" it sounds like I would have issues. Lower is definately not a plus for me. I had a Corbin seat on my CBR and loved it. Guess I can spend the extra $$ on my Jeep instead. :yahoo:

In addition to the Canyon Close that everyone is talking about, Corbin also makes a Canyon regular.

It does not force you to slide forward toward the tank and has room to move around forwrad and backward to vary your position and shift your weight to various parts of your seat. It is also not lower than the stock seat, so you do not have to increase your leg bend.

Not that I don't think you should spend your money on your Jeep. Having previously owned a '98 TJ I know they can be needy things... ;-)

Oh, I happen to own a Yamaha version of the Corbin Canyon Regular (non-close) which I will be looking to get rid of soon. I wanted to keep it until I have my stock seats customized by Russell, but I may just have that done over the winter so it won't matter if I don't have another seat. Let me know if you're interested and I'll send you some pictures. I will probably put the seat in the classifieds section soon otherwise.

Last edited by a moderator: