Cost of 4000 mile service

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott J

Reaction score
I am buying a used bike and the guy just told me he would discount the bike so I could get the 4000 mile service done.

How much does it usually cost at the dealers? I am fairly handy and catch on quick, but I want some time to learn the bike before it is a D I Y project.

What is the typical cost at the dealer so I know how much to ask for?

I am buying a used bike and the guy just told me he would discount the bike so I could get the 4000 mile service done.
How much does it usually cost at the dealers? I am fairly handy and catch on quick, but I want some time to learn the bike before it is a D I Y project.

Dang.. all those lookers and not one answer

Dang.. all those lookers and not one answer
Well, Scott, that might be cause you posted on a Saturday night - and being FJR riders, like we is, most of us is out and about doing stuff like riding and such. (I won't go into detail about what the 'such' is.)

The 4k service shouldn't be to much - but I just don't know what it runs. The only service I paid the stealer to do was the 600 mile - and it was screwed up. I've done all of my own service since then - 22K miles and counting.

Have you located your local service department? Do you have a dealer you would want to work with? You might take a few minutes and call around - get quotes, etc. My guess is that a lot of the dealers out there won't even really know what a 4K service consists of until they look it up. Your experience with them on the phone might also be an indicator to what their service will be like.

What year is the bike? How much? Pictures? How much of a discount for the 4k service?

By the way - you're gonna love it!!

If you're pretty handy you might want to check This Website for maintenance and mechanical "how to" articles.

I just looked at my owners manual and the 4,000 mile check is a fairly basic "once over" and an oil change. Most of the sections say "check operation and free play" for throttle, clutch & brake levers, etc. Check coolant hoses for cracks, etc., check operation of front and rear brakes and fluid levels, clean air filter element (a most tedious job), adjust idle, check final drive fluid level, check steering head bearings for looseness (I assume most dealers will just "static test").

The 4000mi Service for my '05 (non-ABS) cost $220. The parts list consisted of Oil, Oil Filter, misc.shop supplies (rags?); I basically paid $220 for an oil and filter change. That was JUL or AUG of 2005. I didn't opt for Y.E.S, so it went out of warrenty a week later, and the shop has only seen my bike for the TPS Recall since then. I don't know if this answered your question, but that was my Service Experience.

Brian

Probably because most of us service our own bikes. You should do the same if you have a few tools, are inclined to do it, and most importantly, want it done right. Plenty of help in past threads (use the search feature). Take care.

JC

Scott, if you are at all able to perform your own service give it a go. First you will need a service manual that can be purchased from University Motors in North Dakota. Then all you need is a few simple hand tools, and the parts required. Not much to it really and if you check around here there is tons of info if you don't know what or how to do it or where to get it. It can open a whole new world for those who have never worked on their bike. And there is a great support group right here to help if anything goes wrong. No worries....PM. <>< :D

I took use the stealer for the 600 mile service and spent $200 on an oil change. If you are handy with tools, the best thing you can do is buy a service manual and dig in. I have found that the dealers give the bike a quick once over and charge you out the @$$. Like the other posts, the 4K check are basic.

Good Luck

Things that I think should be done at 4K:

o Oil and filter change

o Replace rear end fluid

o TBS

o Bleed brake and clutch lines (just to see how the fluid looks - I'm sure most people think it's too early for this)

o Inspect/clean air filter

o Check/grease steering head bearings

o Check/grease swingarm pivot bearing

o Check coolant level

o Give the bike a once over looking for anything wrong

Things that dealers do at 4K:

o Oil and filter change

OK, so I'm sure some of you have dealers with great service departments...maybe one day I'll be fortunate enough to find one. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I do about 60% of all the maintenance on all my FJR and 90% on my older stuff.I guess I am lucky because the dealership I have used charged me only 70 bucks for an oil change but did a lot more than just change the oil.I have been quoted $500 for a full service which is a lot of labor and an overnight stay.If anything I would suggest getting a steering head wrench and the correct sockets to remove your wheels

Last edited by a moderator:

Not exactly the answer to your question...but I just paid $350 for the 8,000

o Oil and filter change

o Replace rear end fluid

o TBS

o Bleed brake and clutch lines (just to see how the fluid looks - I'm sure most people think it's too early for this)

o Check coolant level

Things that dealers do at 4K:

o Oil and filter change

OK, so I'm sure some of you have dealers with great service departments...maybe one day I'll be fortunate enough to find one. :)
wow what do you charge Fuzzy ? ;)

khrome

o Oil and filter change

o Replace rear end fluid

o TBS

o Check coolant level

o Put a wrench or screw driver on anything you can reach just to make sure...

oo Including the side case locks ;)

I would do all of those things too especially since it's a used bike and you really don't know where it's been or what's been done to it. If you do them yourself you're looking at a total of:

Approximate costs:

~$20 for oil

~$8 for filter

~$10 for Yamaha's rear end fluid with the gold impregnated molecules.

~$6 for some grease

~$30 for the Stearing head wrench (or borrow one).

~$50 for a MotionPro Carb Tuner to sync the throttle boddies.

(assuming you have some basic tools).

So for less than $130 you'll have it all done, know it was done right, and have some tools for future maintenance. All of this stuff is easy.