Covered Bridges of New Hampshire 2009

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Skip,

Never underestimate the capacity and willingness of old people to do something truly stupid. It is completely possible to get an FJR onto old abandoned RT114 - complete with bags. From River Rd, you can go both East and West (East is easier). The paving isn't a lot worse than some of the open roads around here.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go out and clean the mud off my MC.

Dan

It's actually to augment the KLR as sometimes there are places you want to go where the KLR is just too big, heavy and cumbersome.

Plus, you can never have too many bikes. LOL! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

A man after my own heart...

Skip,
Never underestimate the capacity and willingness of old people to do something truly stupid. It is completely possible to get an FJR onto old abandoned RT114 - complete with bags. From River Rd, you can go both East and West (East is easier). The paving isn't a lot worse than some of the open roads around here.

Dan
Good for you Dan. You must have had a handful getting around the gate. There are small limbs, stones and mud to make forward progress a challenge with a 641lb MC. You are crazy! LOL!

Skip,

Dan

Oh man, Dan. Ya beat me to it!!

Good on ya!!

We should develop one of those little icon thingees for the FDSR (FJR Dual Sporting Riders). :yahoo:

Google map Bennett Rd, Henniker, NH.
https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

Icon A is where I took the picture. Unfortunately you can't get in there with an FJR as it's gated at both ends. Just park your bike and take a walk down to see it. It's a time capsule from the 40's and 50's. Cracked pavement with grass growing up and water running across in places from nearby beaver dams. I could see the old Chevy's and Fords rumbling down the road. LOL!

8-2.jpg
I got one of those mine is an 01...
recent125.jpg

Was over in the Warner area today and the road through Melvin Village to the Waterloo bridge is now paved all the way. Last time through there it had not been completed. Smooth as glass now! :coolsmiley02:

1-11.jpg

2-6.jpg

1-9.jpg

3-4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wouldn't want to lose attention and wander off the road in that first picture. Nice soft shoulder would make sure you continued into the boonies.

OK, It's official we have a campsite reserved at GREENFIELD STATE PARK, NH for the weekend :thumbsupsmileyanim:

See y'all Saturday! :w00t:

OK, It's official we have a campsite reserved at GREENFIELD STATE PARK, NH for the weekend :thumbsupsmileyanim: See y'all Saturday! :w00t:
Greenfield looks good. I'll be there. Look for the '05 FJR with a years worth of road dirt and bugs on it.

Google map Bennett Rd, Henniker, NH.
https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

Icon A is where I took the picture. Unfortunately you can't get in there with an FJR as it's gated at both ends. Just park your bike and take a walk down to see it. It's a time capsule from the 40's and 50's. Cracked pavement with grass growing up and water running across in places from nearby beaver dams. I could see the old Chevy's and Fords rumbling down the road. LOL!

8-2.jpg
recent125.jpg
If it's a supermoto I assume it's a 450?

The old abandoned Rt 114 continues north of Henniker and south of lake Massasecum. It's easily accessible from the new highway and is FJR friendly. It's not as long as the section near Pats Peak.

2-7.jpg

3-5.jpg

4-4.jpg

5-3.jpg

recent125.jpg

If it's a supermoto I assume it's a 450?

Nah I wish, it's a 250. I bought the custom wheels for it. I used to ride dirt back in the day, but now all the good places to ride around here have condos built on em. So I said 'if ya cant beat em, screw em'. So now I ride street where all the condo's and new billion dollar developements are, with my loud ass pipe at 7:00 am on Sat. & Sun. then park the bike before the cops show up, (even though I'm registered and insured) or go ride around on all the back roads tryin to get lost. I still have the dirt wheels, but they don't get much use. :( It's even been to Mt Washington!

alexatsummit2.jpg

Sorry for the Thread hi-jack.

Think warm thoughts for next weekend!

Warm thoughts.... ??? Im hoping for dry thoughts..... right now weather is calling for rain next weekend!! I know its way to early for the weather report to mean much but still..... I dont care how cold it is just want it to stay dry!!!! So please think dry thoughts.... lol

This brings up a topic that I had hoped to avoid, but we should probably figure out now, then maybe we won't need to employ it:

Rain Dates:

Since the whole point of the Covered Bridges ride is sightseeing and foliage, making it a slog through the cold rain seems contrary to the purpose. I propose that, if by Friday morning it appears it's going to be a thoroughly crappy day on Saturday, we postpone it by 1 week to Saturday the 10th. I know this is a PITA for folks coming from afar and having reservations.

After riding around a bit further to the north yesterday, the color seems somewhat late as compared to past years. I'm sure that (if it is dry) it will still be delightful, but it's now starting to look like the 10th would have been a better choice for peak foliage color. Hey, who knew? :unsure:

The good news for the planned day this Saturday is that, as of right now, the long range forecast has been upgraded from "showers" to "few showers" with only a 30% chance of precipitation on Sat. Let's just keep our collective fingers crossed that the good weather pushes back into Sat.

A couple of other thoughts on the upcoming ride:

Brokefast:

The Fiddlehead Cafe makes up a nice breakfast sandwich on home made toasted bread, along with many other treats. Mmmmm, good!! But it is a small, counter-service, village cafe and we may overwhelm them a little with our numbers. I suggest that if you are wanting to sample their breakfast fares that you get there well in advance so as not to have any problems with our 10AM departure time. If it's anything like last year's frigid group, a few minutes inside the cafe, shaking off the morning chill, may be quite welcome. ;)

Route Files:

I have once again updated the GPS route files. Sorry, I just can't seem to leave well enough alone. :p

I made a few little tweaks and added a couple of little scenic diversions to the standard route that should be nice additions. So, if you are planning on following along on your GPS, you might want to re-download the files linked to in post #1.

The Ride "Rule": (there's only one)

I only ask that each of you keep visually in touch with the rider behind you, especially when making turns or passing through intersections. That way, there is no need to worry about "keeping up" with the guy in front of you since it's that rider's responsibility is to stay in touch with you. Ride your own pace and maintain comfortably safe spacing, especially on the twisty back roads. Don't worry about holding staggered parade formations or any of that stuff. If the group gets fragmented by cars along the way we'll pull over and get it back together.

Bike to bike radios:

I'll have my FRS/GMRS radio on my bike and we can use FRS channel 7 (462.7125 MHz) sub-channel 0 so that any/all FRS radios can play. We shouldn't have much outside radio interference on our route as we'll be mostly out in the sticks. With a group of our size it may be helpful to keep things moving smoothly. I have a couple of extra radios, one motorola T5720 (single pin connector) and a pair of Midland XtraTalk (2-pin connectors) that can be borrowed if you have the hookups to get the noise into your helmet.

There will be a brief gas stop early in the ride to ensure that we all have full tanks. And since the route is only ~150 miles, nobody (on an FJR anyway) will run out before the route's end.

OK, I lied. There is one more rule: You MUST have a good time. ;)

Looking forward to a great ride.

This brings up a topic that I had hoped to avoid, but we should probably figure out now, then maybe we won't need to employ it:
Rain Dates:

Since the whole point of the Covered Bridges ride is sightseeing and foliage, making it a slog through the cold rain seems contrary to the purpose. I propose that, if by Friday morning it appears it's going to be a thoroughly crappy day on Saturday, we postpone it by 1 week to Saturday the 10th. I know this is a PITA for folks coming from afar and having reservations.

After riding around a bit further to the north yesterday, the color seems somewhat late as compared to past years. I'm sure that (if it is dry) it will still be delightful, but it's now starting to look like the 10th would have been a better choice for peak foliage color. Hey, who knew? :unsure:

The good news for the planned day this Saturday is that, as of right now, the long range forecast has been upgraded from "showers" to "few showers" with only a 30% chance of precipitation on Sat. Let's just keep our collective fingers crossed that the good weather pushes back into Sat.

Fred,

Was just up through Warner. Oct 10&11 are the dates for their "Fall Foliage Festival". Festivals in Warner usually involve closing the main road and routing all traffic through the municipal parking areas - including millions of tourists in their cars. Last time I got caught, it took over an hour to get through town. If the date moves to 10/10, you might want to consider avoiding Warner. Five minutes on US89 will get around it.

Dan

Good call, Dan. I just rode through there today doing a little last minute "scouting". It was a beautiful day mostly great ride. (see my other posts for the not good part).

BTW, how will youse guys deal with being lead around the bridges tour by some guy on a (not bass boat) Blue Triumph? :blink: