Cracks in the Aft SubFrame

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hard to say for sure, but doesn't look good - looks tipped back- meaning that the flat part of tongue looks uphill. The physics on the single wheel trailer I built are a little different, but the main thing when building it was keeping the weight axis centered on the hitch and the weight biased forward. Stable to 100mph loaded, which is as fast as I have gone with it.
View attachment 7064
Nice setup, looks like you used the back end of a motorcycle and attached at the rear tire axle. Steel or Aluminum for the hitch?

I guess no one mentioned the Admore harness? No wire splicing needed.
And my hitch has a Kuryakyn harness...

@gbrmksmith , what is the total weight of the hitch? Appears to be substantial.
Any provision for moving it out of the way when you want to remove the rear wheel? (Not an issue if you have a lift with a removeable panel.)
My hitch (home-made by the previous owner) has the "arms" held together with bolts, nuts and lockwashers. Takes a few minutes but relatively easy to dismantle for a tire change.

Total weight is under 12 lbs.

It can be disassembled at the two bolts on the coupler plate L side for tire replacement. That was a big consideration since I do my own tire changes.

I had already spliced into my taillight wiring for the brake light modulator and have lots of experience doing vehicle trailer lights, so have diodes on the shelf for the stop light/turn signal wiring.

Total weight is under 12 lbs.

It can be disassembled at the two bolts on the coupler plate L side for tire replacement. That was a big consideration since I do my own tire changes.

I had already spliced into my taillight wiring for the brake light modulator and have lots of experience doing vehicle trailer lights, so have diodes on the shelf for the stop light/turn signal wiring.
I'm trying to remember what exactly the problem was with mine, but I tried diodes on bike and bike was fine. But without the isolator, there was an issue with the trailer lights.

Hard to say for sure, but doesn't look good - looks tipped back- meaning that the flat part of tongue looks uphill. The physics on the single wheel trailer I built are a little different, but the main thing when building it was keeping the weight axis centered on the hitch and the weight biased forward. Stable to 100mph loaded, which is as fast as I have gone with it.
The proponents of single wheel trailers say they are far less inclined to push the bike around since they follow the track of the bike's own tires as they lean into a corner as well as having more of the weight on the hitch when braking.

(I've never ridden a bike with a trailer, two wheeled or single wheeled, so I have no personal experience. Just parroting what I've read when researching the idea.)

Yeah. I always saw the impact on handling (including very heavily loaded bikes without trailers) sort of defeated the purpose of taking the bike instead of a car.

But that's just me.

The proponents of single wheel trailers say they are far less inclined to push the bike around since they follow the track of the bike's own tires as they lean into a corner as well as having more of the weight on the hitch when braking.

(I've never ridden a bike with a trailer, two wheeled or single wheeled, so I have no personal experience. Just parroting what I've read when researching the idea.)
Sounds about right. Although I have never pulled a dual wheel trailer with a motorcycle. I know people always say this about towing with their pickup, but I really don't notice the trailer behind me at all (unless I have to back up). Honestly the FJR with me on it and the trailer loaded is still lighter than a lot of folks I've seen riding 2 up, and the trailer weight is low and close to the roll axis - instead of a few hundred extra lbs on the seats.

OLDJEEP! did you just call someone's wife FAT?!! :eek: (Or boyfriend... I'm not judging their preference) 🤷‍♂️ I can see the beauty of a trailer, but never took the leap. I purchased a sidecar rig and was going to convert it for camping. I'm not sure it's good for "Long Hauls". It's a handful at speed. Haven't been on the highway yet. (That's like a Freeway for the westcoasters) Fun around town, but not as fun as my FJR!

Pete-o

Attachments

• IMG_2251.jpg
    IMG_2251.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
OLDJEEP! did you just call someone's wife FAT?!! :eek: (Or boyfriend... I'm not judging their preference) 🤷‍♂️ I can see the beauty of a trailer, but never took the leap. I purchased a sidecar rig and was going to convert it for camping. I'm not sure it's good for "Long Hauls". It's a handful at speed. Haven't been on the highway yet. (That's like a Freeway for the westcoasters) Fun around town, but not as fun as my FJR!

Pete-o
Someone and their wife ;)

Sidecar is something I would never personally consider. Takes all the lean out of the bike and compromises cornering, may as well take the convertible at that point.

My wife (Who is not a couple hundred pounds) like you insinuated. Is good for about an hour-long ride, these days. I thought she could stretch out, read a book, take a nap, and we could travel further and see more. NOT HAPPENING! She doesn't like it, :cautious: to close to the ground, guardrails and the like... so I guess it's just me and the dog. (He doesn't complain half as much either) Just say'n...

Pete-o

My wife (Who is not a couple hundred pounds) like you insinuated. Is good for about an hour-long ride, these days. I thought she could stretch out, read a book, take a nap, and we could travel further and see more. NOT HAPPENING! She doesn't like it, :cautious: to close to the ground, guardrails and the like... so I guess it's just me and the dog. (He doesn't complain half as much either) Just say'n...

Pete-o
LOL - not directed at you or anyone in particular.
Just - as an example, my wife and I are about 320 combined - plenty of riders weigh that alone. The trailer loaded is about 250-300. Now that 250-300 doesn't put any load on the suspension like a frame mounted 2 wheel trailer hitch does, so the trailer isn't relevant to anything but pulling and braking power.

My wife isn't good for more than maybe 60 miles on the bike, if she is along we are going to an art fair or out for a local ride.

1715782939119.png

@Oldjeep , I'm not a trailer guy but I like what you did for your trailer. The center stand idea seems practical to use and it seems to me that I might have all the parts to tackle such a project. Could you please post additional trailer pictures? My wife and I do a lot of 200 plus mile trips and a trailer might just allow enough cargo space for her to take her curling iron, sundresses, several changes of clothes and shoes ........... uh, yea.

@Oldjeep , I'm not a trailer guy but I like what you did for your trailer. The center stand idea seems practical to use and it seems to me that I might have all the parts to tackle such a project. Could you please post additional trailer pictures? My wife and I do a lot of 200 plus mile trips and a trailer might just allow enough cargo space for her to take her curling iron, sundresses, several changes of clothes and shoes ........... uh, yea.
I'll post them in another thread

Latest posts