Creston, Kali to Stowe, VT

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, my MapSource died a horrible death so I'm using google maps.

Any improvements on this route? I sure hope so.. I want to run as many secondary roads as possible and this route as is looks like an IBR run and I'm just a CandyButt...

I have 5 days, ain't afraid to ride in the dark, and if it's hot like it's been..

But then again them NERDIES have told me that when I get there the weather will be beeyoooouuutiiifuuulll!

Any typical helpful touristy things a feller should see just to say he's seen them? :)

After leaving Stowe am headed to Salem Oregon..
I would try to avoid Chicago for one. If you drop a bit south say an Springfield IL, Indianapolie IN, Columbus OH and then look at Rt 6 across PA. Nice road, not alot of traffic, was in good shape and will probably not slow you down. That would leave you in the Scranton PA area to make yourself North. Running thru the Catskills (a very nice area) and up RT 7 in Mass to RT 8 and eventually running RT 100 thru VT to Stowe. Here's a GOOGLE MAP LINK. Some things to see along RT 6 Kinzua Bridge, , Grand Canyon of PA, Tunkhannock Viaduct

I also routed you up RT 97 in New York which is Hawks Nest
2665077930094472708S600x600Q85.jpg

While you are in the Catskills there is a town called Phoenicia that has a place called Brio's These are pretty yummy if the timing is right

2861805680094472708S600x600Q85.jpg
The place where they make the food
2897951020094472708S600x600Q85.jpg

I could keep going just let me know. On the map link you will have to resize...it goes from the border of OH / PA to Stowe

Willie

Last edited by a moderator:
Don,

I like Willie's eastern route, too. Not the quickest way, but should be a pleasant ride. Don't know how you'd get around the nastiness west of there. Like Cleveland?

You may want to have (at least) two routes planned for coming and going, and depending on whether you have more time up front or on the way back, select the one you want to take on the fly.

The prisoners with the best cigars go to the head of the line ;)

I just scored a box of Onyx Vintage '97 Black Princes to have some 'gars to bring to NERDS.

Haven't tried one yet, but they should be nice.

ON97B5.jpg

I would try to avoid Chicago for one. If you drop a bit south say an Springfield IL, Indianapolie IN, Columbus OH and then look at Rt 6 across PA. Nice road, not alot of traffic, was in good shape and will probably not slow you down. That would leave you in the Scranton PA area to make yourself North. Running thru the Catskills (a very nice area) and up RT 7 in Mass to RT 8 and eventually running RT 100 thru VT to Stowe. Here's a GOOGLE MAP LINK. Some things to see along RT 6 Kinzua Bridge, , Grand Canyon of PA, Tunkhannock Viaduct

Willie
Willie: I like this route as a way for me to get back to Cheecahgo after NERDS. Thanks for posting.

Thunderstorms are not unusual in August. You can either wear something waterproof, pull over someplace dry and wait it out, or go on and just get wet.

I've tried option 3 many times. Even at 90 degrees, when you get wet you'll be hypothermic in no time if you continue to ride.

Yeah, you'll prolly want to bring something along. This ain't no Southern California, and the girls don't warn you here either.
Fred did you forget about last years Sunday ride?????

Tom

Thunderstorms are not unusual in August. You can either wear something waterproof, pull over someplace dry and wait it out, or go on and just get wet.

I've tried option 3 many times. Even at 90 degrees, when you get wet you'll be hypothermic in no time if you continue to ride.

Yeah, you'll prolly want to bring something along. This ain't no Southern California, and the girls don't warn you here either.
Fred did you forget about last years Sunday ride?????

Tom
I sense a story here and want to hear 'the rest of the story' :p

Mehhh... It wasn't that bad. Just a little rain.

Lat year (at around the same time) we held the two day Whites and Greens ride on a Saturday and Sunday, based in West Lebanon, NH (near White River Junction). Saturday was fine weather all day and we had ourselves a great group ride through the Whites. On Sunday morning there were some pretty hefty thunderstorm cells rolling in that threatened to hang around all day. Most folks just bailed out and headed for home. We (bailers) got out of the rain after about an hour on the road heading south.

This was nothing compared to the rain we got to ride home through from NAFO in September. That is when you see the tropical storms slide up the coastline and you can be stuck in the wet stuff for several days.

Yeah, steady rain happens sometimes, but is unusual this time of year. Luckily, this will be a multi-day event and there are other things to do in the Stowe area should we get a really bad day thrown in. Stay positive...

Yep his Fredness speaks the truth.

A bit of rain in the morning at the hotel and they called for steady to moderate rain all day. I rode North with Rob up through top of Lake Champlain and it didnt' really clear up until I hit Ottawa. Then 45 minutes later it was coming down again for the rest of the trip home. Wasn't really heavy anywhere except just before the border crossing.

Typical venture into the States for me. It ALWAYS rains on the way home.

Allrigghhttyy then.. A new set of Frog Togs it is!

<geesh, this gearing up for a long ride can be expensive>

Well, after spending about 5 hours looking at routes it has become very apparent I won't have much time to dilly-dally. Looks like lots of iState for this CBA prez.. :fuck: :lol:

..on the bright side, I've not been on any of these roads so it will all be new..

Griff - I'm returning back to Salem OR, not sure of that route yet, e.g. southern or northern.

..it occurred to me today I'm spending way too much time thinking about routing when in fact weather, fatigue, and CBA motivation will be the primary factors! :huh: :lol:

Arrgh. Threw my back outta whack Thursday working on KrZy8. Chiro on Friday, better today - I can walk at least. Still going to NERDS. Candy Butt Assholes Association riders are tough. :fuck:

Arrgh. Threw my back outta whack Thursday working on KrZy8. Chiro on Friday, better today - I can walk at least. Still going to NERDS. Candy Butt Assholes Association riders are tough. :fuck:
If your taking the HD, shouldn't you be on the road by now? :D

Rest up bud, see you in two weeks.

Very happy to report KrZy8 is fabulous - and will be the ride of choice for NERDville!

Very happy to report KrZy8 is fabulous - and will be the ride of choice for NERDville!
That's great news, Don! (well, except the part about your back). Take the Vitamin I on a schedule and you'll be loose and limber again in no time.

So, I take it that the de-carbonizing of KrZy8's top end got rid of the cold start noises? Was it just ring free or some other treatment that he used?

If its not to late I suggest catching I-40 east in Barstow and riding that all the way to OKC,OK, picking up I-44 north to St Louis,MO then onto I-70 East to to the otherside of Zanesville,Ohio picking up I-77 north to Akron,OH and getting on I-80 east all the way past Bloomberg,PA picking up I-81 north to Scranton,PA where you will pick up I-84 east into Hartford,CT catching I-91 North. Follow I-91 north to White River,jct,VT picking up I-89 north to exit 10 to st rt 100 north into Stowe,VT.

Thats the basic route I took last September when I rode to San Diego and back from New Hampshire. I was in a hurry as I burned more time then I wanted to heading into San Diego so that route got me back home fairly quickly.....Left SD at 6am on Thursday and got home the following Wednesday at about3-4pm soaking wet...poured all the way from 60 miles west of Hartford to home. Breathable rain gear isn't 100% water proof in my opinion.

Latest posts