Datel Install Location Inquiry

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masterguns

Reaction score
Tired of searching for the answer so I'll just ask. Is mounting a Datel Voltmeter on the left side fairing just behind the glove box a good location? Thought I'd ask before pulling Panel A off just to find out there is not. My right side is alreay occupied with a powerlet. I know there is room on top of the left side fairing, I am asking about underneath the fairing. Thanks in advance for anyone's input.

I stuck mine on top of the C panel, but it's not flush. It's easy to read, though, because it faces me, not the sky...

I have a picture but I can't post it, because Photobucket seems to be taking a dump right now. I'll post it when I can, but suffice to say, it's a matter of function over form. I can see it, I can glance at it. I cleaned up the install (sort of) by "molding" a "bezel" for it out of black ATV. I couldn't mount it flush there because it's right at the windshield arm.

I stuck mine on top of the C panel, but it's not flush. It's easy to read, though, because it faces me, not the sky...
I have a picture but I can't post it, because I'm taking a dump right now. I'll post it when I can, but suffice to say, . I couldn't flush because it's past 11 and the trailer park shuts down the water after ten..
Um Walt? TMI for one.. and he's a gunny. use small words for shitsakes..

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't want to cut into the panels or have any visible wires exposed, so I ended up doing this ghetto installation and it worked out ok.. the viewing angle is pretty good from the saddle. Just zip tied to the clutch hose, it's tight, it holds the unit in place without deforming the clutch line.

i-zktzdC8-XL.jpg

OK, Photobucket lets me see my pics this morning. Here' the voltmeter on the C panel. The other box is a gear indicator, no longer present. (I learned to count for myself a couple years ago.)

Voltmeter1.jpg

Here's a thread from someone who got it flush-mounted in the same location, but mine interfered with the windshield mechanism when I tried that.

I decided to mount my Datel directly overtop the battery. I still have to do some minor modification on the battery bracket. It interferes slightly with the Datel. I used some masking tape to mark the outline of the Datel top plate on the top of the panel. Then penciled the inner dimmensions on the tape. I then used a Dremel with a small grinding wheel to cut into teh plastic panel. I cut in the center of the marked out area to test the cutting ability and found out (confirming my suspicion) that the plastic melted very quickly. So i cut inside the marks i made in pencil to leave myself some room for the melting plastic so I didn't melt the outer edge of my cut. I then used a razor blade to slowly cut away the remaining plastic until I got a cut out area just a hair less in size than the dimensions of the Datel. I will rely on the fit being very tight and some silicone underneath the panel to hold the Datel in place. Here are some pics of the final install.

9165F4D4-BE52-4303-8B25-F69796F016BE-4238-00000294767D8552_zps59b36f75.jpg

B6049BCC-DB6A-44FA-BBAB-955DF6FE6E14-4238-000002947131A920_zpsb76bd414.jpg

I got a similar one (not datel) while I haven't mounted it yet...its blue...that thing looks like it might be a torch at night. Dark Knight is yours annoying at night?

I just stuck mine on the right side of the steering head with mounting tape-directly above the clamp that holds the two throttle cables and a third unknown cable. It clears at full lock and has easy access to the battery thru the opening in the steering head. Don't ask-to dumb for pics..

Simple is often better. I like some of the innovative simpler ideas shown here, and were I to do it again might have taken one of those paths. Instead, I mounted mine in the "D" panel just behind the battery. I already had a powerlet connector there, and also added a switch so I could take a quick look at the battery voltage without turning on the bike.

1000 words:

100_1045.jpg

Just to give you another idea for install, on my V-strom I didn't have a good, flat panel anywhere within good sight line to install the Datel meter or my heated grip controller, so I made a couple of little mini-dash panels and attached them to the handlebar mounts. I'm sure something similar could be worked up on an FJR. Big advantage is no holes in any expensive tupperware panels.

another 1000 words:

100_1837.jpg

By the way, in case you are wondering about the reading displayed, that shot was taken with the key (and therefore headlights) switched on but engine not started. It was also before I had to replace the battery on that bike. ;)

Noob question - last time I checked (2004), these meters were significantly less than $50; now I can't find them for any less than $50. Is there a source for lower cost meters?

Thanks,

Will

Noob question - last time I checked (2004), these meters were significantly less than $50; now I can't find them for any less than $50. Is there a source for lower cost meters?
Thanks,

Will
They had been around $50 for quite some time, but now seem to be north of that a bit.

Here's an alternative for less than half of the price that is really easy to surface mount with a couple pieces of velcro or some 3M Acrylic doublesided foam tape

I put mine here, but there is some exposed wire that you may not like the look of:

photofeb27123114.jpg

Also, my ADVmonster meter is almost unreadable on sunny days.

For those of you using the voltage display in the radar detector. How close are the readings to the datel. I am just replacing a couple panels and don't know that I want to cut holes. The mirror mount is cool but I'm to lazy