Day-Long Saddle-- Dual or Solo???

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drew231506

0 Posts Per Day
Reaction score
Hello,

I just purchased this bike with this Russell seat on it. The man swore this was a DUAL seat...so I paid the extra money for it. However now I am having doubts. Can you tell if it is a dual from these pics?? I dont think its nearly as comfy as the riders seat...or even as comfy as the stock passenger seat. Thank you for your help!!!

I'm having trouble posting the pics. Please see this link for the pics.

Dual or Solo???

Dual posts = no no. :nono:

I will be deleting your other duplicate thread, and moving this one to its proper home in Parts & Accessories.

Dual posts = no no. :nono:

I will be deleting your other duplicate thread, and moving this one to its proper home in Parts & Accessories.

Oooops sorry about that. I wasn't sure where to put it. Thanks!
I think this might work for the pics...

russel3.bmp.jpg

russel1.bmp.jpg

Based on the pictures the passenger seat has been obviously recovered.

I doubt if you can tell what's underneath without removing a few staples to take a look.

My .02

If you think the guy who sold it to you lied about the seat being a dual do you think he would give you some money back? If he did, the price difference between a dual & solo is not much at all. (maybe $100 tops)

I have a Bill Mayer seat so I don't know how the Russell seats are fitted but with all custom seats they are built to fit each person (weight, height, riding postion/style) so the seat you have is not fitted to you or your passenger.

Maybe you could sell the seat you have?

or

Trade your russell for a stock seat and some cash?

Then get a seat that is custom to you & your passenger.

Every person is different, every (custom) seat is different.

Russell will recover the stock seat so it matches the rebuilt main seat, that is part of the price for the rebuild of the main seat. Russell charges more to rebuild the passenger seat.

Don't think you can tell unless you pull off the cover & check the foam material...

Russell will recover the stock seat so it matches the rebuilt main seat, that is part of the price for the rebuild of the main seat. Russell charges more to rebuild the passenger seat.
Don't think you can tell unless you pull off the cover & check the foam material...

Thanks for replying! I realize its custom for another rider...however the seat for me is great. I did look at the foam under the passenger seat and it looks identical to my stock seat. The foam in the drivers seat looks different...at least through the holes I can see. I wonder if Russell would redo just the passenger seat for me? I knew I should have gotten a new one...now I have an expensive seat pan! I want to really make sure it is a recovered seat before I confront the seller.

Thanks!

As I look at these two Russell pictures below

Picture 1

Picture 2

They both look much higher in the passenger area than yours.

Yours looks to be lower or flatter.

Maybe yours is just a simple recover?

Hard to tell just from pictures.

Again, don't think you can tell without pulling the cover.

You could always ask the seller.

Could have been an honest mistake, dual/solo seat doesn't mean the same thing to everyone.

To some dual may mean two part seat or two riders, not both portions upgraded/retooled/recovered.

As I look at these two Russell pictures below
Picture 1

Picture 2

They both look much higher in the passenger area than yours.

Yours looks to be lower or flatter.

Maybe yours is just a simple recover?

Hard to tell just from pictures.

Again, don't think you can tell without pulling the cover.

You could always ask the seller.

Could have been an honest mistake, dual/solo seat doesn't mean the same thing to everyone.

To some dual may mean two part seat or two riders, not both portions upgraded/retooled/recovered.

The foam would be different than the stock foam correct? So if i look at my stock foam and compare it...if it looks the same then it is not a Dual. Right?

I'm really thinking its recovered. Its the identical shape and size as my stock passenger seat. Grrrrr.

FWIW the Russell folks do good work and seem to take direction well. They rebuilt my main seat just as I requested, no guff, no fluster, seats arrived back in 3 weeks just right.

When I talked to them, they were very demanding, wanting rider position photos, weight, height, inseam, written comments/instructions, etc etc. If you have a regular pillion, they will want the same info so they can rebuild the rear seat to 'fit' the rider. They might give you a break because you already have the seat covering, which is probably 1/2 the time & cost involved right there.

Good luck !

The foam would be different than the stock foam correct? So if i look at my stock foam and compare it...if it looks the same then it is not a Dual. Right?
I'm really thinking its recovered. Its the identical shape and size as my stock passenger seat. Grrrrr.
My seat is the stock foam shaved down with a new custom pad insert glued in place then some extra foam sides glued together and everything trimmed and sanded based on my feedback. My seat upgrade was a ride-in appointment so I saw the entire thing being built.

If I were to peel back the cover on mine and peek underneath I would see stock foam.

To be 100% sure you would have to take off the entire cover to be sure. (or at least more than just a corner)

This is just how Bill Mayer made my seat.

Russell may take it all the way down to the stock pan (others will have to post their opinion to be sure)

It's a solo seat. If the passenger seat had been custom built it would have "wings" like the rider portion.

This is my solo Russell.

P1010014.jpg

Get the name of the original owner and contact Russell and ask what he had done. You may be able to have the rear done by itself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get the name of the original owner and contact Russell and ask what he had done. You may be able to have the rear done by itself.

Yes it does have a serial number. I sent the pics to Russell too. I don't know if they will take the time to see or not.

No need to tear it up to learn what it is. The underside of the saddle comes with a decal and serial number on it. My decal came off but I put it in with my maintenance records (along with the original receipt) so it's there for any future owner. You can contact Russell, give them that number with an explanation about your call, and Russell will be able to tell from their records what the original work order called for.

It might be a dual simply because it's a totally custom job. The owners specifications may result in different heights, widths, wings (or not), etc. It's clearly at least a solo with a passenger recover job. Depening on what you paid for it, that's still not a bad deal.

Remember... "C U S T O M".

BTW: This is the perfect example of why I ask owners of used bikes for their folder of maintenance records. The more complete it is, the more value I place on the used bike. A folder with all the maintence logs AND receipts for all farkles (with date and milegage when the farkle was added) is a rare treasure.

Last edited by a moderator: