Day Ride Southern New England

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a great day! Rode with an old friend "vmaxed" and met two new. "Curious in CT" and "jmarran." I was hoping it would warm up enough to be comfortable without heated gear. Well it did! 86 degrees a some points. The first really warm day we had so far this year. Excellent.

It all started out here where I met "vmaxed" and "Curious" to kick things off at 07:00.

100_0537.jpg

"vmaxed" with his standard. Blue berry pancakes, short stack.

100_0538.jpg

"Curious in CT"

100_0539.jpg

From there a beautiful ride through the woods and up the CT valley where farm land and old colonial homes abound. Soon we were into MA where we met up with "jmarran" (on the left) in Deerfield. We all arived within 2 minutes of each other.

100_0540.jpg

We're off!

Rt 116 West never disapoints with twists and curves that are pure pleasure. I am amazed at how my bike is handling. Between the group buy suspension, the Dunlop tires and the tappered steering bearings this thing is on rails! I so wish I was a better rider to take better advantage of it's potential. Off of 116 I chose Rt 8A north because I remember riding this road once and it was full of fun sweepers. As we turn onto Rt 8A though something is not looking right. At first we stop and look because we can't tell if it is a paved road or not. Obviously, someone is not remembering right. It turns out to be a small, very twisty, bumpy road covered with winter sand. Oh well, it is what it is, but keeping your tires in one of the three car tire tracks now becomes critical. Yes, there were three car tire tracks with most of the sand worn away because the road was so narrow they shared the center strip. We got through it at a pretty good clip though and everyone was a tad better rider by the end.

We ended up on the Mohawk trail, Rt 2, Nice!

100_0541.jpg

Curves, elevation changes, and look-outs..................

100_0544.jpg

100_0545.jpg

Yours truly

100_0542.jpg

Mt Greylock in the left distance, we would have riden to the top but the road is still snowed in.

100_0546.jpg

The highlight of the Mohawk Trail, the infamous "Hairpin Turn"

100_0547.jpg

100_0548.jpg

We stop for lunch in only the classiest places

100_0549.jpg

"vmaxed" making the obligatory phone call home to see how the wife is doing with the yard work and to offer his encouragement. What a guy!

"jmarran" stands in disbelief.

100_0550.jpg

The second half of the ride was good exept for a little boo boo on my part as I routed us down a dirt road for 5 miles through a state forest. That brand new shinny 08 wasn't as good looking after that. And ,yes, black does show the dirt quickly. I blame MapSource. That line was black like the others. If the road is dirt the line should be brown or something.

All in all a super day. Put on about 275/300 miles. Absolutely looking forward to riding with these guys again.

Nice pics and writeup, great ride and a super day! I had a good time too, always nice to meet up with fellow FJR folks to push me a bit to keep up. As long as you guys don't mind looking for me in your mirrors.

PS Bob, I found the site for those nifty tank pads I like, but have one question for you if you remember. Which type did you get, the snakeskin or high fusion synthetic rubber?

It was a fun ride Bob...my raven is all cleaned up. :p

P1020958.jpg

Ed... :drinks:

Great ride, actually saw 80+ degrees, definately the warmest I've ever ridden this early in the year. I've got a few pics as well, I'll try to post 'em up tomorrow.

Speaking of pics, nice pic Bob. Next time I see you with a camera I'll make sure I wipe the food off my face. :rolleyes: