Death Valley February 16-18

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DCarver, Skuehl, FjamR

1st of all my name is George! I know Don's name! Who else am I speaking with?

2nd, the meeting place for those in the Central Valley and coming up from the south will be the Denny's in Ridgecrest, at the corner of China Lake Blvd. and Hwy 178 to Trona at 12:30 PM on 2/16/07 = Lunch Stop!

3rd, the annual BMW riders campout at Furnace Creek will be this same weekend, so a rider (Barrie) will be heading east with us at Ridgecrest, but he will be joining the BMW campout at Furnace Creek for the weekend. There are also a couple (Phil & Chris riding separate bikes) and Mike (from another list) meeting us in Ridgecrest, so Ridgecrest is the place we'll all gather!

4th, sounds like Don, Skuehl, and myself have rooms for 2 nights at the Stage Coach. I have a roommate named Robert who rides an FJR also. Are you guys staying solo or do you have crash space for another rider? There might be somebody joining us, who needs to find a room to share expenses?

All for now, until further develops. :huh:

DCarver, Skuehl, FjamR

2nd, the meeting place for those in the Central Valley and coming up from the south will be the Denny's in Ridgecrest, at the corner of China Lake Blvd. and Hwy 178 to Trona at 12:30 PM on 2/16/07 = Lunch Stop!

3rd, the annual BMW riders campout at Furnace Creek will be this same weekend, so a rider (Barrie) will be heading east with us at Ridgecrest, but he will be joining the BMW campout at Furnace Creek for the weekend. There are also a couple (Phil & Chris riding separate bikes) and Mike (from another list) meeting us in Ridgecrest, so Ridgecrest is the place we'll all gather!

4th, sounds like Don, Skuehl, and myself have rooms for 2 nights at the Stage Coach. I have a roommate named Robert who rides an FJR also. Are you guys staying solo or do you have crash space for another rider? There might be somebody joining us, who needs to find a room to share expenses?

My name is Stephen.

Meeting place marked in my GPS. Sounds great. I will assume we will have lunch there.

I have booked a room with one bed and I am going to try and call every week to see if I can get it swaped for Non-Smoking (Sorry Fairlaner)

DCarver, Skuehl, FjamR

My name is Stephen.

Meeting place marked in my GPS. Sounds great. I will assume we will have lunch there.

I have booked a room with one bed and I am going to try and call every week to see if I can get it swaped for Non-Smoking (Sorry Fairlaner)
For what it's worth, the lady said she was an avid non smoker, and the rooms to her were more than acceptable. Of course, it just might be bull too....

Hey, I just heard from Rudy Lopez of Paso Robles who has an '03 FJR. He just returned from Costa Rica yesterday. He wants to go with us to DV. Unfortunately, I've already got a roomate at the Stage Coach in Beatty. Anybody want to share a room and I'll put you in touch with Rudy? He's good to split expenses!

Hey all, James here, and I smoke...outdoors :D . I am trying to get the 16th off, but currently I am the only person in my department who can do the job, so there is no one to cover. Things can change for the better by then, so I still am planning to join the ride.

Looks like about ten miles past Stovepipe Wells you guys would cut off on the 374 to go on to Beatty. I'll continue on the 190 to the 127, pop out in Baker and head south on the 15.

DCarver, Skuehl, FjamR

My name is Stephen.

Stephen,

Larry from Huntington Beach......

Are you riding up with anyone else to Ridgecrest lunch from OC 2/16/07?

I've been kicking the idea around of linking up with this ride from there to Beatty.

Overnight in Beatty and ride along and return to HB later Saturday. It's a long ride back......??

or maybe another night?

Let me know how your doing..........PM me with your plan.

I like the idea you having a Garmin GPS. E-mail me your track if you like....

Larry

WW's FJR

[email protected]

you guys sound like the smoking Nazi's
:D

Richard
And you point being........?

This sounds like a fun trip but I wont be joining you guys this time. I'm working Fri and Mon, and spending the w/e with DH. He's not up for riding any decent distances yet, after his accident. Making progress though - he's put 4,500 miles on the replacement bike in the 5 months that he's had it. (The bike that got killed had 6000 in two months).

Jill

you guys sound like the smoking Nazi's
:D

Richard
And you point being........?

This sounds like a fun trip but I wont be joining you guys this time. I'm working Fri and Mon, and spending the w/e with DH. He's not up for riding any decent distances yet, after his accident. Making progress though - he's put 4,500 miles on the replacement bike in the 5 months that he's had it. (The bike that got killed had 6000 in two months).

Jill
Well, see how you are? Sorry you can't make this one.. Maybe another time and place?

DCarver, S kuhn, Farm

4th, sounds like Don, Kuehl, and myself have rooms for 2 nights at the Stage Coach. I have a roommate named Robert who rides an FJR also. Are you guys staying solo or do you have crash space for another rider? There might be somebody joining us, who needs to find a room to share expenses?

Stephen/ others,

I have obtained 2 nights stay at the "beautiful?" Phoenix Inn (very reasonable) w/porch view no less;

nearby the Stage Coach (getting full) for Feb 16 & Feb 17th. I have stayed at the Stagecoach several

times previously.

I'm going for the Bates Motel approach............It's within walking distance so I will probably meet

up with you guys and the group for dinner/breakfast and a bit of gambling.

I will PM or E-mail you also.............. I think we should adopt your ride plan and link up with them

in Ridgecrest for lunch and tag along from there. Discuss return ride Sunday......

How about a post up on a list of riders going for sure

and what they're riding ???

Larry

HB

WW's FJR

Larry asked;

>How about a post up on a list of riders going for sure

and what they're riding ???

OK here's what I've got! Beginning on February 16th.

Don (Creston) - rides an '06 FJR 1300, leaving from Atascadero over 58, staying solo at the Stage Coach in Beatty 2 nights

Robert (Monterey) - rides an '04 FJR 1300 leaving from Atascadero over 58, will be sharing a room with Rudy at the Motel 6 in Beatty

Mike (Santa Maria) - rides a Shadow 1100, leaving from SM over 166 to 58 will meet at lunch stop in Ridgecrest. My roomate at the Stage Coach

Rudy (Paso Robles) - rides an '03 FJR 1300 leaving from Atascadero over 58, will be sharing a room with Robert at the Motel 6 in Beatty

(Me) George (Los Osos) - rides an '05 FJR 1300 leaving from Atascadero over 58, will be sharing a room with Mike at the Stage Coach in Beatty

Steven (Huntington Beach) - rides an '05 FJR 1300 meet up group at the lunch stop in Ridgecrest. Solo room at the Stage Coach in Beatty.

Larry (Huntington Beach) - rides an '0? FJR 1300 meet up group at the lunch stop in Ridgecrest. Solo room at the Phoenix in Beatty.

James (?) - will meet the group in Beatty and make it a day ride from there.

There are no 2-ups

There are also a small flock of Beemer Pilots that may meet up with us at the lunch stop in Ridgecrest and ride into the valley with us through Trona. They are coming from Santa Maria with Mike. I " think that group will include: Barrie on a BMW R90, Phil on a V-Strom, and Chris on an R75. They are all headed to Furnace Creek to camp out there with the Air Heads. They may pick us up on Saturday for a ride through the Valley to see the sights.

The return trip is still up in the air as I guess(?) like leaves, we will scatter to the wind. :crazy:

Check list; got battery, tires, oil, etc. etc. etc.? Looking forward to the ride with everybody.

Sorry, James will meet us in Ridgecrest not Beatty. Where do you call home James?

You guys have a great time. I wish I could make it but this work thing gets in the way.

Be sure to check out Shoshone Ca. Susan Brown owns the town- her family has had it for generations. There is a museum with some interesting history. Be sure to stop by the Crowbar. They have great food and drinks.

You guys have a great time. I wish I could make it but this work thing gets in the way.
Be sure to check out Shoshone Ca. Susan Brown owns the town- her family has had it for generations. There is a museum with some interesting history. Be sure to stop by the Crowbar. They have great food and drinks.
Jill,

I rode through Shosone and Pahrump (firecracker capitol of the world)

last year just to get to Vegas to bowl the fun way. I love those secluded desert roads

with nobody on them. In mid June it brought me to a medium boil 107/109 degrees.

Rode out of Vegas over the dam and down to Kingman Hwy 66 through Oatman back on 40

to Kelbaker Rd, 29 Palms, Palm Springs and over 74 to Ortega Hwy and home.

I slept good that night.

Is that museum in Shoshone the little old gas station with relics I remember?

There is just not a lot there..........a Chevy Chase head bob and your out of there.

I did stop for a squished snake on the road but I will check out the museum

and the Crowbar this time. Susan Brown Eh.........

Check with Barry on the Feb 2 ride.......are you going?

Larry

Kewel!

Hey Larry, you wrote on another topic post "Curious...........How long did your Chatterbox battery charge hold out?

I have the 2 channel set-up also. "

I also have a 2 channel Chatterbox. If you bring yours, I'll bring mine! I usually get about 4 hours out of mine andd if I remember to turn it off when I stop, it will last all day. I always bring my charger with me for overnight charging!

Kewel!

Hey Larry, you wrote on another topic post "Curious...........How long did your Chatterbox battery charge hold out?

I have the 2 channel set-up also. "

I also have a 2 channel Chatterbox. If you bring yours, I'll bring mine! I usually get about 4 hours out of mine andd if I remember to turn it off when I stop, it will last all day. I always bring my charger with me for overnight charging!
Sounds like we just found our lead & sweep riders... :rolleyes:

Kewel!

Hey Larry, you wrote on another topic post "Curious...........How long did your Chatterbox battery charge hold out? I have the 2 channel set-up also. "

I also have a 2 channel Chatterbox. If you bring yours, I'll bring mine! I usually geabout 4 hours out of mine andd if I remember to turn it off when I stop, it will last all day. I always bring my charger with me for overnight charging!
KJ,

I don't really know how long it's good for...........a new Multi-Sport 2 channel. Voice activated no push to talk button yet. Haven't used it much my wife screams to much.

I will bring it along and charge it overnight for sure. Probably doesn't last as long as advertised. The Silver Penguin was using it minimally.........mostly running the MP3 player through her helmet speakers. I dont' think that requires much power.... if at all. Her's lasts all day.

My other riding buddies have multi-channel set ups and chose to use the higher channels to get away from trucker chat. And , I think they got cussed out pretty bad on the last long ride we did.

I'm not big on chat (self-entertained) but it can be a good road condition awareness thing. First and last rider in the group having one seems good. I don't mind riding sweep if I don't have to go 100 mph all day.

Larry

Last edited by a moderator: