Deer killed my '05, replaced with 2014 ES, I'm impressed !

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats on the new ride
7,598 seems like top dollar plus for a 05. Bet it would be hard sell it for that much money. With the pain and suffering from sliding down the road it's an awful way to upgrade.

My 04 had a hair under 90,000 mikes when Bambi killed it, heck it was just broke in.
That's what I was thinking. When it came time to sell mine, maybe I should've gone bambi hunting, (deep pain free sigh) naw, probably not. Glad you weren't hurt more than you were, but as said before, one hell of a way to get an upgrade.

Question, do you notice the longer swing arm and extra weight much vs. your Gen I?

I at some of my first riding did notice it being a tad different, but as you rack on the miles it just dissapears....

brain/muscle memory will take over for you - I'd imagine tire pressure and tires would contribute to some of that same handling characteristics changes as well...

I'll be getting my PR4's on soon to get back "my personal" confidence to make the transition easier as well....

My insurance policy covered up to 3500 worth of farkles, so I did up the list for them. Progressive fork springs, Wilburs rear shock, Givi case & tubular frame, fork brace, Russell leather seats, & lots of small stuff, That added to the payout amount, although I don't know how much they depreciated the farkles.

I'll check the bag lock screws, thanks for the mention, it's always the small stuff I forget.

The '14ES seems way better than the '05, here's my list1) Suspension seems stronger, even set at single rider, regular.

2) Brakes seem stronger.

3) Engine is way smoother than the '05. When I got the '05 there was buzzing in the handlebars which slowly went away as I packed on the miles (& added some large billet bar ends). The '14 has no handlebar vibration at all. How'd they do that ?

4) Shift into first, there is no 'clunk', just slips into gear, Again, how'd they do that ?

5) I love heated grips ( played the stoic with the '05... )

6) Engine seems stronger, jeez, the FJR just keeps getting faster...

7) Cigarette lighter plug socket.

8) No throttle off/on jerk like what the '05 had, this is SMOOTH going from off to on. How'd they do that ?

9) I like red.
I like you list of improvements. The bike I replaced with a '14 ES was an '06 Gen II. I can't speak for your '05, but there's even more I find improved. Number 1 for me has to be the seat foam. It's pretty much ok as it is. The windshield is better in all positions for me (shorter than you) but most important is the wind flow at full-down position where I do 90% of my riding. I can't over-emphasize the improvement in smoothness of the engine and especially the throttle tip-in whether in the sport or tour mode. I like having the choice of modes for different situations. The transmission is-- as you said-- way, way better.

Making the information display customizable was awesome. It'll be a huge boon for competitive long-distance riders.

There's only a couple of things I think Yamaha could still improve. First is the two places in the owner manual that tell you the suspension can only be adjusted with the motor running should either be boxed or with a huge arrow pointing toward them. It took me a long time to find those; Yamaha calls them a "tip," but they are essential information that took me too long to find.

Second is that I wish they'd put 90 degree-angled tire fill valves on the bike since by the time you check and fill your tires, your next stop is somewhere to wash brake dust off your hands.

I can add angled tire fill valves at the first tire change and I won't soon forget those "tips" in the manual. This bike is an example of a manufacturer that upgraded without ruining the product. More manufacturers should learn that.

Second is that I wish they'd put 90 degree-angled tire fill valves on the bike since by the time you check and fill your tires, your next stop is somewhere to wash brake dust off your hands.
LOL Agreed. So annoying! I don't have the skillz to add angled valves so I'm stuck with it. Makes the process a lot more difficult than it should be.

LOL Agreed. So annoying! I don't have the skillz to add angled valves so I'm stuck with it. Makes the process a lot more difficult than it should be.
Just buy a pair on-line and have the tech install them when your bike's tires are next changed. There are only two sizes as I recall; one for Euro bikes and one for most Japanese.

Maybe someone will post a link to their favorite ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
eBay is your friend. You want the Ariete stems in 11.3mm. $25 shipped

I upgraded to a 2014ES from a 2005 ABS last fall also. I agree with most of your assessment. A lot of things were done better on the 3rd Gens. I do not notice the increased weight. If anything the '14 feels a bit lighter to me when under way. I also do not feel the longer swingarm, but you definitely notice the taller gearing right away. It moves the engine's sweet spot considerably higher on the ticket fine scale.
wink.png

Got my seats done at Russell already. Once you've experienced the comfort, nothing else will do. I'm still working on the right windshield solution. I am 6'2", shorter legs and longer torso, and like to ride with the Russell in the upper position. I may drop the seat to the lower position, but then the pegs feel pretty cramped. I've already tried the OEM touring shield. It is not quite tall enough for us taller guys perched up on a Russell.

I also found that I'll need to get the HeliBar riser / bridge before next summer. I have the regular type risers on there now, but that retains the stock bar angles. The angle (and drop) of the handle bars is not as comfortable for me as what the 1st Gens' were. I find my hands want to take a nap after a couple of hours, which is pretty easy to do now with the Russell.
wink.png

Good luck with your farkle fest. The good thing is that having owned an FJR before already, you know better which things work and which do not.

Just buy a pair on-line and have the tech install them when your bike's tires are next changed. There are only two sizes as I recall; one for Euro bikes and one for most Japanese.

Maybe someone will post a link to their favorite ones.
Excellent idea - thanks!

ShawnKing, I'm looking for some for myself, and these are a few I've found. I think we need 11.3 mm size for our bikes.

https://www.amazon.com/MOTO-D-Angled-Motorcycle-Valve-11-3mm/dp/B00L4G67TC

Same as above, but cheaper:

https://www.motodracing.com/angled-valve-stems

This one is priced right, but doesn't say what diameter it is:

https://www.motorcycletire.com/product/PU325414.html

These look nice and the price is for two of them:

https://www.kurveygirl.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=673&osCsid=9nd1ncs6bssce91nvpo99uej17

OR....you could go RIGHT HERE and not worry about getting the wrong size, in your choice of color, while buying from a respected Forum member, AND get a 10% discount for YOU being a Forum member.

It's a no-brainer.
biggrin.png

OR....you could go RIGHT HERE and not worry about getting the wrong size, in your choice of color, while buying from a respected Forum member, AND get a 10% discount for YOU being a Forum member.
It's a no-brainer.
biggrin.png
Agreed. Is the 10% automatic/already built in or do I need a code to order? Thanks for the suggestion, RadioHowie.

The original thread by BikeEffects is here.

During the checkout phase of an online purchase, there is a box where you can place a Discount Code or Coupon Number. Your Coupon is "FJR1300".
The discount code is good for all orders >$50.

For little stuff like this, the shipping is what's going to kill you. If you have a bunch of other stuff to order it doesn't hurt so much to throw a set of stems in on the order.

By ordering the ones I linked to on eBay, get the Ariete 11.3mm stems and you'll be getting the exact same thing for only $25 including free shipping.

It's a no-brainer.
biggrin.png
Well, I ordered the ones from Moto-D. You have to pay for each (two), shipping is free, but they look like they're better formed.

At Curvey girl, you get two for your $30, and free shipping.

I think I had the ones from Bike Effects on my last bike and they were fine for the life of the bike, but I was not impressed by the workmanship. I won't know for sure if I made the right decision until I change out my first set of tires.

Nice find. Free shipping to the US also. Coming by slow boat from Hong Kong, but I'm perfectly OK with that

Ordered a set in black for the 1st tire change on my 2014.

Glad to hear you like the 14. I have been out of riding for years (kept the license) and have been looking at a used 14. I am just still not sure if I should take the plunge and start riding again, getting pulled both ways yes and no. If I start again the 2014 ES is what I want.

Latest posts