Details and questions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, he did say PLEASE.....! ;)
I suspect Bob here is still de-compressing from the Iron Butt Rally, where he was the SOLE Hardley to enter.

It did not finish.... which may be impacting his desire to learn about the FJR.

Good luck with your research, Bob... there is a reason the FJR1300 was the #1 Sport-Touring machine on the Start Line in Spartanburg (~ 1/5 of the entire lineup), so that in and of itself should be a key indicator for you.
Decomposing? No, I smell like that normally. er decompressing. I suppose so. I do wake up suddenly after dreaming of getting a replacement bike in time to finish the rally. And don't make it sound like the HD did not finish of it's own fault. Big Bambi may have had a part in that.

Not having ridden one yet, I can't say it for sure, but from all my research etc, if I was looking for a solo sport touring bike, the FJR would be the top of the list, a must buy. As I am looking for a two up ride, the ST *might* be a better choice. Still looking at he HDs also, but probably will get a Sport Touring anyway.

I can't believe how mild this thread is. Especially compared to the "FJR sucks" thread. I think the OP got off easy. Bust must be sleeping.
It's called an investment in the future. A little bit of control now and maybe I will buy an FJR. Then I will be around for a long time to really be bashed. Scare me off and I might get an ST and won't be here to be bashed later. Ya' never eat your seed corn.

Bob L

If you're into re-doing m/c top ends? -- you might not enjoy the FJR? :unsure: The cylinder hone/over-bore/replacement thing might trip-you-up?

OTOH, you won't need to buy multiple complete heads... ;)
Most of those questions were generic questions I might ask about any bike, but really, they were just what I was thinking about at the time. I think, if anything, I was more interested in the reaction of this oh so famous 8^) list than the actual answers. If you all had been offended, I would it would have seriously shifted the balance towards the ST. If I really sat down and thought about it, I would have dozens more real questions, but the *anything else* question should cover that, and judging by the answers, it did. Again, if the top ends last a long time, don't much care about the cost/effort of fixing them. I have been tripped up in the past by not asking the right questions. Too many times I have been told how reliable something was, then found out that either the person saying how great everything was had barely used the object, or what he considered long life I would consider just getting broken in. Ever have anyone say their tires last a long time, last set lasted 3 years?!?!?!?!

There is a lot to be said about something being cheap and easy to repair. There is even more to be said about something that doesn't need to be worked on. Oh, to have both in one bike and still have the capabilities I am looking for. The FJR comes pretty close.

I do wake up suddenly after dreaming of getting a replacement bike in time to finish the rally. And don't make it sound like the HD did not finish of it's own fault. Big Bambi may have had a part in that.
Well, yes, you are correct.... I know you had some valve-sticking issues earlier in the rally, but tagging that deer with that FLHT was pretty much the ball game...

On a more serious note, your questions regarding cylinder head work... this platform does not routinely need *any* cylinder head work. It is, in fact, a non-issue with the FJR; the chances of you needing to get into the cylinder head are exceedingly small (Gen I Tickers aside, which was largely a dealer-serviced issue anyway).

In fact, the chances of you having to get into most any major system/sub-system components is pretty small... this bike is a tank; there are no chronic areas that you need to agonize over. It is among the finest solo Endurance Riding platforms out there.... it's big enough to have decent room to move and stretch, yet small enough to actually perform and handle in the tighter twisties, etc. It has a big enough fairing to protect you from the weather, but lithe enough to lane-split in SoCal to make the Santa-Ana checkpoint in time. B)

Go for a Gen II (2006 or later) to take advantage of the 590-watt stock stator. If you find a killer deal on a Gen I bike, aftermarket stators are made to bring up up to ~ 590-watts, but the aftermarket stators should be considered quasi-consumable. Many only last 30K-40K before being fried again. That said, my current aftermarket stator has 53,000 miles, but I have the familiar indications that it is near the end of it's service life.

Now, all that happiness been said, would the ST1300 also work for you? Probably. Maybe. If you ride in some very hot and/or humid regions, might want to think twice about that thigh-baking, shin-cooking Honda. And it you tend to occasionally ride at Higdon Three-Vein speeds, this is another significant negative for the Honda. Still, they are nice machines, and if you ride in cool climes at the posted speed limits, it could be a player for you.

Bottom line: go for performance. That would be the Yamaha FJR1300.... decidedly better performance. It is faster. It is quicker. It has more horsepower. It has greater torque. It weighs less. It can carry more cargo. It has a fully matured aftermarket industry both in accessories, and custom fabrications.

Perhaps best of all, you have the power of FJRForum.com behind this platform... no other forum on the planet has the wealth of FJR1300 experience and knowledge that this forum has. FJR owners are serious about riding the miles. Hell, we've even had ST1300 guys from their forum come over here during the IBR, because that forum just didn't cover it all that well.

Again, Bob, good luck with your research, and I have no doubt you'll make the right decision for you. ;)

How soon does the top end normally need to be touched up?How expensive is a top end job normally?

again, easy to do, special tools etc.

How much for a complete head/heads and all the parts to just change them out?

If you're into re-doing m/c top ends? -- you might not enjoy the FJR? :unsure: The cylinder hone/over-bore/replacement thing might trip-you-up?

OTOH, you won't need to buy multiple complete heads... ;)
There is a lot to be said about something being cheap and easy to repair. There is even more to be said about something that doesn't need to be worked on. Oh, to have both in one bike and still have the capabilities I am looking for. The FJR comes pretty close.
Well, for the specific question you asked (here, earlier) -- I don't think the FJR is neither cheap nor easy (altho, both are relative terms... :blink: ).

If you want to do a "top-end"? -- you'll need to buy a crankcase assy. to get new ceramic-plated cylinders... :rolleyes:

No aftermarket supply of pistons and cylinders (like Harley).

So probably not cheap? (unless you're 'well-heeled'? :unsure: ) and probably not easy? (unless you're an engineer... ;) ).

Edit (looked it up): @ $2,700.... :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Bob L,

All the statements that I've read posted here are coming for an honest, sincere place. All your questions are good ones that I would want answered if I were

considering an FJR. The questions about the cost factor along with the frequency of maintenance intervals are all well and good, But, Warchilds comments

about this bike being a tank with performance, Faster, Quicker, more horsepower and mega torque pretty much sums it up in a nutshell. What I haven't heard

emphasized much yet is the SHEER JOY that we all get while riding this thing. The comments about getting home with a gigantic grin on your face and

stopping to look at it one more time before you go inside touches on it a little. Let me expand on that a little. All you're questions were in the Cost/Value realm.

Speaking for myself and I'm sure many, many others here. The Cost/Value of the Visceral Goosebumps we all get while riding this bike is PRICELESS!!!!!!!!

The only way I can even come close to explaining that feeling is by looking at a dog with his tongue flapping in the wind with his head out the window of your

car. If there were ever a moment that you can actually see your dog smiling, It would be that moment. Yeah, You will hear about the occasional mechanical

problem that will keep you from riding it for a little while. But, compared to other bikes they are negligible. Radman wants to buy a new one, But, his just won't

quit and I think his has a Kazillion miles on it. (Give or Take a few!). Radiohowie and Patriot are in the middle of their CCT issues. But, what are they doing?

Dump it and go to another bike? HELL NO!! They are fixing the issue so they can GET BACK ON THE SAME BIKE!! That my friend, is what you do when your

bike gives you VISCERAL GOOSEBUMPS. Pull the trigger on the FJR! You will not be sorry! Trust Me on this one. OBTW, you will love this Forum Too!!

Welcome, VIC.

The Cost/Value of the Visceral Goosebumps we all get while riding this bike is PRICELESS!!!!!!!!
The only way I can even come close to explaining that feeling is by looking at a dog with his tongue flapping in the wind with his head out the window of your car. If there were ever a moment that you can actually see your dog smiling, It would be that moment.
Uhhh, go easy on the KoolAide there guy. 8^)

And it is not my dog...... I don't have a dog.

Yeah, my questions have been answered pretty well. I could come up with tons more, but this bike seems to be about as reliable as a mechanical/electrical thing can be and still be fun. As far as the true joy of riding one, that is something I will have to experience.

Really, I need to get my girlfriend on one of each (ST and FJR) to determine which, if any, will work. If she likes the FJR, that's the choice. If she likes neither, the FJR is the choice. But, if she likes the ST, well, she's the boss. (I wonder if I could afford both?)

Dealer reputation is also pretty important. In our area (NH) we have a pretty good Honda Dealer, but I have not heard anything either way about the Yami dealers.

Thanks all for answering my Q's and not picking on me too much. I was expected decent answers, but I was ready for more abuse too. 8^)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reliability aside, since I'm not worried about it at all, I have had an ST1300, then a Goldwing, and now an FJR. Just for the weight factor, which plays into better manoeverability, I would get the FJR. I just rode a couple of ST's a little while ago to compare again in my mind. The FJR isn't a lot faster or torquier than the ST, very similar really. but is easier to handle at all speeds in all conditions. I can't speak much about 2-up, but a limited experience left me feeling that it was very capable and actually the rear end felt more solid with 2-up, yet still handled the bumps well. My passenger said she would have liked the OEM top box a little further back, yet I thought she had lots of room (she was comparing to an ST1100). I can see that the rear shock might need replacing one day, but mine is relatively low mileage yet. You would have to have your pillion ride both, with you assessing the ride, but I still think the FJR was better handling. The ST suspension needs work too (undersprung, overdamped typical Honda).

Again, I vote the FJR just for the weight factor, lower COG and better handling.

The Cost/Value of the Visceral Goosebumps we all get while riding this bike is PRICELESS!!!!!!!!
The only way I can even come close to explaining that feeling is by looking at a dog with his tongue flapping in the wind with his head out the window of your car. If there were ever a moment that you can actually see your dog smiling, It would be that moment.
Uhhh, go easy on the KoolAide there guy. 8^)

And it is not my dog...... I don't have a dog.

Yeah, my questions have been answered pretty well. I could come up with tons more, but this bike seems to be about as reliable as a mechanical/electrical thing can be and still be fun. As far as the true joy of riding one, that is something I will have to experience.

Really, I need to get my girlfriend on one of each (ST and FJR) to determine which, if any, will work. If she likes the FJR, that's the choice. If she likes neither, the FJR is the choice. But, if she likes the ST, well, she's the boss. (I wonder if I could afford both?)

Dealer reputation is also pretty important. In our area (NH) we have a pretty good Honda Dealer, but I have not heard anything either way about the Yami dealers.

Thanks all for answering my Q's and not picking on me too much. I was expected decent answers, but I was ready for more abuse too. 8^)
No KoolAide here Dude! Buy an FJR and you'll see. If not, No skin off my nose! :dirol: :bye: