DFW area 1st Saturday/Sunday Schedule

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When's the next-un? :eh-smiley:

You're absolutely right, we're way overdue. I'm currently planning on doing the RideSmart Track Day at ECR on Sept 21. Only thing currently on my schedule.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any chance you'd consider a track day? There's one coming up in Cresson on Oct. 5th. The last TD I went to, I saw a Connie 14, Shadow and a Vstrom mixing it up with the sport bikes.

Nah, no track days for a while. I'm scraping to pay for gas. Poor college student lifestyle minus the irresponsible credit card spending. Thanks for the offer though.

Any chance you'd consider a track day? There's one coming up in Cresson on Oct. 5th. The last TD I went to, I saw a Connie 14, Shadow and a Vstrom mixing it up with the sport bikes.

So what's required for a track day? Full leathers? Do you have to remove anything from the bike? Install fluid catch cans? Tape over headlights/taillights?

You pups can always accumulate at my house and drink cold beer.....am always ok with housing skoots and supplying beer.

So what's required for a track day? Full leathers? Do you have to remove anything from the bike? Install fluid catch cans? Tape over headlights/taillights?
From the RideSmart web site. Any chance you might make it?

Your GearYour gear is the most important factor in safe riding. There are no absolutes against accidents. In the event of an accident, we all know that the better prepared you are, the better the outcome will be.

Helmet

First and foremost, your helmet must be a motorcycle helmet and be Snell approved (or European equivalent). Your helmet must also be a full-face helmet. Flip-up face helmets are allowed but must meet Snell standards. You will need to take your helmet with you to tech inspection.It will be checked for Snell certification and will be looked over to insure that it at least appears to be in tact.

Some of the things we’ll be looking for to validate your helmet will include checking the following:

Straps are not torn, frayed or modified, properly installed Quick-release buckles are acceptable but must not inadvertently come undone, no obvious signs of damage, no signs of modification (cuts, holes, paint and adhesives) and a properly fitted shield.

Protective Suit

More commonly called leather’s, a suit can be of 1 or 2 piece construction from leather or Cordura. The suit must be designed for motorcycle use. 2 piece suits must attach with a zipper. A ‘full-circumference’ zipper is not required. Jackets and or suits made of mesh material will not be allowed. The following are a few manufacturers of jacket types that are allowed but there may be others:

Joe Rocket : AGV : Dainese : Syed : Spidi : Spyke : Vanson : First Gear : Fieldsheer : Kobe

You must wear a Leather or Cordura suit that meets our guidelines. If you do not own or do not have access to one, don’t worry… we’ve got you covered! We also rent leathers. Go to registration to reserve your leathers.

Boots

You must wear boots that cover at least 1” inch above your ankles and they must be of leather construction. You are not required to wear boots designed specifically for motorcycling, but it is strongly recommended! Boots must have adequate lace, buckle, Velcro or strap closures and should not be torn or extremely worn. If you do not own or have access to a suitable pair of boots, we have a limited selection of motorcycling boots available on a first come – first serve basis.

Gloves

Gloves must be full fingered and either leather, or non-leather motorcycling gloves. They must cover 1” past your wrist and have a functioning closure. Gloves must not be torn or extremely worn. They must completely cover your hands and not have holes (other than manufactured vent holes). We also have a few sets of gloves if you are in need.

General Guidelines

Your motorcycle must meet state safety requirements and have adequate front and rear brakes. We require that your motorcycle have; a solid mounted seat, bar ends, knobs on the end of front brake and clutch levers. Your tires may be either race or street compound and in good condition with plenty of tread. Your tires must not be unevenly worn or show signs of damage or repair. We do not require that your tires be “DOT Spec.” If there is any doubt in the condition of your tires, replace them. Replacing your tires far outweighs the cost of damage to yourself, another rider or your motorcycle.

You will need to show that your bike does not leak ANY fluids and is in good condition. Your Oil/Engine coolant/Brake reservoir/Fuel caps or covers must be OEM or equal in quality and functionality and must form a proper seal.

Motorcycle Preparation

Remove or Tape over turn signals

Remove or Tape over head light

Remove or Tape over tail/brake light

Remove License Plate

Your lights, if left on the motorcycle, must be fully taped so that no lens is uncovered. There must not be any light showing from your tail/brake light, to accomplish this you may also pull the brake light fuse. After taping your headlight light may still show through, this is acceptable but you may also want to pull the headlight fuse as heat from the headlight will make the tape and its adhesive harder to remove. We do not require that you replace your engine coolant nor do we require you to safety wire.

I am in for the October 5 track day at Cresson. One thing RideSmart does to encourage sampling is they have 'parade laps' at lunch time. No special prep is required, street gear (jacket gloves, helmet) suffices. No need to tape or remove mirrors. It is also free of charge.

They tell you at the start that it is going to be slow going, but if the instructor leading the 'parade' sees that everyone following is competent they can raise the speed at their discretion. Taking the off camber curves somewhere between 45 and 50 MPH on the FJR was just the thrill I needed to convince myself that a track day was in my future.

If you think there is the slimmest chance that you might ever want to do a track day I heartly encourage you to visit Cresson during the Oct 5 track day. Admission is free, the parade laps are free, and there are a few good roads on the way there and back. Not a bad way to spend a Sunday.

I have been to Cresson and it is the perfect place to learn the capabilities of your ride.The long track is amazing.Rattlesnake will give you some workout.Lots of space for runoff if you get too hot into a corner.I never new how much fun scraping pegs could be.I would love to bring mine out on Sunday but I work weekends :angry:

Ed, great to hear your planning to make it out. I'll be on the Daytona and will be towing a trailer with a big maroon minivan. You're welcome to pit with the group I'll be with if you don't have any plans.

These are from Eagles Canyon last weekend:

800_IMG_10289.jpg

Ss850251_cr.jpg

worldbound, I could be talked into a Sunday ride - 2nd - instead of a Saturday one - 1st.

Marcos, I hope you can joine us.

So... nothing came together?

If anyone wants to try a last minute morning ride and given the likely NASCAR traffic, I'm going to head NE of the metroplex tomorrow morning. I don't really know the area so I'm going to see where the map leads me unless anyone has any suggestions.

I'll be at the Starbucks below at 8:30 and will be kickstands up at 9:00 if anyone is interested:

Eldorado Pkwy & I-75

2811 Craig Drive

McKinney, TX 75069

Google Map

Last edited by a moderator: