Didn't think I was going to ever get to ride my new bike!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smithe68

Reaction score
Bought it on Tuesday and it's been raining, windy and miserable ever since. Finally late yesterday there was a break in the weather and I got to put on about 50 miles. All I can say is, what a great bike, I don't think I could have made a better choice in getting back to riding a sport touring bike!

IMAG0002.jpg

You're in Spokane and you let a little rain keep you off the new bike?

Dude, you're in Spokane.

Rain.

Deal with it!! :p

Tour Master Defender will keep you dry for hours, and packs tiny small. ;)

Nice-looking bike, by the way. Congrats!

Nice bike indeed.

Kilimanjaro jacket. Can't speak on the current model but mine (4.0 I think) makes rain irrelevant and cold nearly so. Only bad thing about riding in rain (other than dirty bike) is how stupid everyone else is on the road. It's just water people!

It's not that I wont ride in the rain, I just prefer not to start out in it if I don't have too. On top of that, the roads here blow, ruts pretty much on every road, lots of potholes as well, which when filled with water become invisible.

I have rain gear, it's a little heavy for the current temps, need to find something super lightweight so I don't cook!

Oh yeah, look what I found! Waterproof Navy Blue Motorcycle Rain Poncho Raincoat

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude, you need to take a road trip down to my neck of the woods. I'm beginning to forget what rain looks like. Attendance at Walt's place has been down lately anyway... Mickey and friends could use a few more visitors. Put in for a vacation. Your new Feej will thank you for it.

And you're right about making a good choice, especially when you factor in what you DIDN'T have to pay for it. By the way, what did it cost? It's an 07, right? Give us some details: miles, farkles, etc.

By the way, I don't blame you for avoiding the rain. I avoid it if at all possible myself. I don't enjoy riding in the rain, though the FJR does provide really good rain protection. Want some serious good traction in wet weather? Check out the forum's dark side thread.

Ride safe

Gary

darksider #44

ps what do you know, post #200 for me today. Do I get extra credit or something?

If I had any vacation to use! My 20th anniversary this year, and one of my sons is graduating from high school, vacation is used up.

'07, 10,808 miles, $8500 incl a 3 year warranty, only farkle is a set of black Throttlemeister bar ends. Didn't read the darkside thread yet, but I am going to assume it's the same thing as for every other bike I have owned, retrofitting a car tire?

I have gone back and looked at that "rain gear" a couple times and laughed each time!

Take it from someone on the wet side...Ditch the rain gear and purchase a good waterproof jacket. This eliminates the worry if you get caught in the odd shower or toad floater. Lots of quality stuff to choose from out there.

Clean looking '07! Enjoy the new bike, you won't be disappointed.

--G

Glad that you chose to buy the best color FJR,,,,,,

The Gen 1 guys will say theirs are faster, but don't listen to them.

Any good fly fishing in Spokane??

biknflyfisher

Typically any form of red has been my least favorite color, oddly enough, my last 6 wheeled purchases are, or have, red on them. Truck, car, suv, vintage Schwinn bike, Cervelo tri bike and my FJR. Weird.

As to fly fishing, I believe there is quite a bit in the area, we have a ton of rivers, and I have seen people doing it in the river just down the road from our house.

Congrats on the new 07 - the best year FJR (okay I'm a little biased there). I ride mine daily over here on the wet side of the state.

Take it from someone on the wet side...Ditch the rain gear and purchase a good waterproof jacket. This eliminates the worry if you get caught in the odd shower or toad floater. Lots of quality stuff to choose from out there.

-G
I used to be a "fair weather rider" until I decided to start commuting and bought the FJR. The first investment was a Aerostich Darien suit and it's probably the best thing I've bought after the FJR. It is just So Freeing to not have to worry about the weather when heading out to ride. I don't even look at the forecast (other than snow in the winter) before heading out because I know I'll be warm and dry no matter what mother nature throws at me. And if it ever comes down to sliding down the road, I know I've got very good protection around me.

I lived in Portland OR for a while when I was a kid. My mom used to tell people she could count the times she didn't send us to school in our rain gear on one hand. :unsure: I wish it would rain here, even just a little bit. Welcome and enjoy the rain, it's better then the alternative! :angry2:

Damn, and I thought regular rain gear felt like wearing a parachute. Nothing like wearing really loose gear to keep you safe on a bike. I wonder if it gets better or worse after the part over the headlight melts to the bike.
At anything over 30mph I don't think melting over the headlight will be an issue, but I can imagine a whole plethora of other problems that might arise. :)