Do not buy from Motorcyclecloseouts

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 17287

Reaction score
Don’t buy helmets from motorcyclecloseouts

Motorcyclecloseouts have Shoei X11 on clearance for $300, very good price so I bought one and when I received it, it had a date of Jan 08…a 3 year old helmet out of the box. Though multiple E-mails they wouldn’t budge a bit other than I can return it for store credit or refund my money –$30 restock. All I wanted an X11 with a newer MFG date. I even offered to take my chances returning it in the hopes of getting a newer MFG date if they would just pay shipping (shipping is not included on closeout deals) …they wouldn’t even do that. They kept on insisting that most closeout items are older to which I replied that I know the Shoei X11 is being discontinued which is why I thought it was on closeout, not that they were trying to get rid of old helmets. I would have probably been ok with this if I would have known that in the first place because it was a good price

Based on Shoes recommendation of 7 years from date of manufacture this leaves me 4 riding season of use. I am sure they have good prices on a lot of items but if it is time sensitive like a helmet buy elsewhere.

PS I love the X11 helmet. It is my 1st high end helmet …coming from a HJC

Would it not mean that Shoes recommendation of 7 years of use does not include shelf life but actual usage? :glare:

I don't really understand why people think there is a problem with a helmet just because it sat on the shelf for a few years. Assuming that it was stored in a clean environment with no fumes or UV rays to break down the plastic, does a helmet actually age in the box?

I had an old Simpson that I really liked and I wore it for 20 years. The only reason I stopped using it was that the shields I had were too scratched up to see and they stopped making new shields a long before that. Fortunately, I never crash tested that old helmet so I can't say if it was as good after 20 years as it was when new.

Did you think you'd be buying a newly manufactured product from a "closeout" site?

,NOT what these folks do..............

I bought my Shoei RF1000 on close out for 225. I noticed it was a few years old as well.

I called Shoei to ask if this effected the warranty or should I be concerned. When the answer was "It's not a problem"

Kinda like buying a 2 year old FJR new for cheap.

This helmet aging thing will in some race orgs, limit the helmet's use.

Some of the race orgs put a 5 year limit on helmets.

I bought a 2nd Shoei x11 closeout as the helmet fits me just right. I knew it would have limited race tech inspection in a few years. But, this is a whole heck cheaper than buying a x12 at $700+.

I'm with barb.

Well, I don't mean I'm with her, ...because she's too mean,

but she makes a good point, so in that respect, I ....

FFFJJJRRR, if you're allowed, do you think you might change your post title?

Something less absolute?

I don't expect a close out helmet to be fresh from the factory. Most are at least 2 years old and the best deals I got on my SHARK helmets were 3 years old. I was not surprised by the age, In my case the helmets had graphics so, I knew the graphics came out some time ago. I've even dropped my Nolan N102 a few times, I still use it too. :)

I wasnt expecting new but I thought 3 years old was a bit much. Like I said I thought that they were closing them out because Shoei has discontinued this model.

Would it not mean that Shoes recommendation of 7 years of use does not include shelf life but actual usage
Shoei recommend 5 years from purchase date or 7 years from MFG date.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you think you'd be buying a newly manufactured product from a "closeout" site?

,NOT what these folks do..............
I gotta agree with Barb as well!

Kinda goes without saying that "steep discount on closeout" means the last ones! As long as it was new in the box and didn't show up looking like the floor model!

I wasnt expecting new but I thought 3 years old was a bit much. Like I said I thought that they were closing them out because Shoei has discontinued this model.

Would it not mean that Shoes recommendation of 7 years of use does not include shelf life but actual usage
Shoei recommend 5 years from purchase date or 7 years from MFG date.
So you got a killer deal on a helmet that you love that is recommended to last 4 or 5 years from your purchase...and more if you don't believe the lawyers.

So...I guess maybe buying from Motorcyclecloseouts is okay to do...if you know what you are getting...a closeout deal.

So...I guess maybe buying from Motorcyclecloseouts is okay to do...if you know what you are getting...a closeout deal.
Sure it is fine to buy from them as long as you know that the helmet may be 3 years old...which is why I started this post.

I realize I started this this post with a bad choice of words, I just wanted people to know what they may get.

I must restate that the X11 is being discontinued which is why I didn't think I would be getting a old one.

Mybad

Sure it is fine to buy from them as long as you know that the helmet may be 3 years old...which is why I started this post.

I realize I started this this post with a bad choice of words, I just wanted people to know what they may get.

I must restate that the X11 is being discontinued which is why I didn't think I would be getting a old one.

Mybad

You just made one of the most common consumer errors....you assumed something. Never assume, always ask and get it in writing..... ;)

Caveat Emptor.

KM

Latest posts