Do you think a 2004 FJR garage queen with 4,500 miles needs this work done?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Skip, I got bags from a 2005 (I think) from Gerald on the other Forum. I gave him $45+ shipping. I'll probably never really use them. If you want, I'll give you the deal I got. They're still in the box in my garage, and they're pretty nice.

Is the S10 coming on the back of a pickup oh gnarly dude?
biggrin.png
Nope-- I plan to ride it all the way out and all the way back. I'm thinking of crossing the Mississippi without using one of the bridges again.

I though about it once before, but didn't.
I did that once with my FJR. On the ferry.
tonguesmiley.gif

Hey Skip, I got bags from a 2005 (I think) from Gerald on the other Forum. I gave him $45+ shipping. I'll probably never really use them. If you want, I'll give you the deal I got. They're still in the box in my garage, and they're pretty nice.
Thanks, buddy. I'll keep them in mind. I'm checking with the original owner's widow next week in the hopes she might find them in the garage some where. If not we can do a deal, if you you can wait that long.

I remember back in '05 when I was riding my '04 and talking to Smitty141's brother who was on a BMW. He said the '04 would never be worth less than $3,500 (within reason). Guess he was right since that's what I paid for this one. Wonder what it will be worth in another 10 years?
That's easy. $3500. Unless you actually decide to ride the thing. that is. ;)

I remember back in '05 when I was riding my '04 and talking to Smitty141's brother who was on a BMW. He said the '04 would never be worth less than $3,500 (within reason). Guess he was right since that's what I paid for this one. Wonder what it will be worth in another 10 years?
That's easy. $3500. Unless you actually decide to ride the thing. that is.
wink.png
The way it is cleaning up, it may be too pretty to ride.

I bought a 2004 about a month ago with the same mileage. I did the following:
Brake fluid change front/rear

Clutch fluid change

Coolant change

Oil/Filter Change

Final drive gear oil change.

I plan on changing the fork oil soon and greasing the steering stem bearings.
I'd be interested in knowing if you have any trouble getting the spark plugs out. I kind of wondered about that, since the bike hasn't been opened up for 10 years. I'm guessing with it having so few miles, and being stored inside, it shouldn't be a problem.

I bought a 2004 about a month ago with the same mileage. I did the following:
Brake fluid change front/rear

Clutch fluid change

Coolant change

Oil/Filter Change

Final drive gear oil change.

I plan on changing the fork oil soon and greasing the steering stem bearings.
I'd be interested in knowing if you have any trouble getting the spark plugs out. I kind of wondered about that, since the bike hasn't been opened up for 10 years. I'm guessing with it having so few miles, and being stored inside, it shouldn't be a problem.
Haven't tried getting the plugs out yet. I did have the tank off because I had to do the slack adjustment on the throttle. I have a carbtune, so when I do balance the throttle bodies, I'll pop the plugs out and take a look. We're still in the triple digit temps here in Phoenix, and it's a bit warmer in the garage. I'm waiting for it to cool down to maybe a nice simmer before I tackle the remaining work. When riding it, feels like a new bike.

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong--

Gen 1 didn't need to have a throttle return spring removed like I had to on my '06 and '07 did they?

And I can't remember if they had a TPS recall. I sold my '04 in May '06 and maybe something came out later? I looked in the Bin O Facts and can't tell. Guess I'll check with the dealer next week.

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong--
Gen 1 didn't need to have a throttle return spring removed like I had to on my '06 and '07 did they?

And I can't remember if they had a TPS recall. I sold my '04 in May '06 and maybe something came out later? I looked in the Bin O Facts and can't tell. Guess I'll check with the dealer next week.
Yes, I removed ( actually just unwound it one turn ) the center spring on my '05 and it made the throttle much more comfortable for long days.

GenI bikes didn't have any throttle spring issues, but theN again, I ride an '07 and don't have throttle spring issues. However, I don't just do curls with my sissy-assed latte like some here, so I guess it's up to you.

Also, yes, the '04's had a TPS recall on them. You can call a Yammy shop and give them your VIN and they can look up if it has already been installed. If it hasn't, I'd have them do it.

Well, got her all clean and sparkly. Shortened the links to give near stock ride height. Changed the fluids and have a new front tire on the way. Have the aftermarket seat sold, which pays for the above mentioned costs. Recall was done.

I'm still having a problem with the suspension/steering. Might be due to me being used to riding a Super Tenere and 650 V Strom the last 2 years, but she doesn't seem to handle right. I get into a curve and the steering is not neutral. I have to do some serious counter steering. I'm not talking tight curves at speed, but moderate curves and moderate speed.

Had my mechanic check the headset, and he thought the bars were falling a bit quick (I thought they were OK) but not so much to be a problem.. Bearings appear to be set right. The front tire has serious cupping and down to wear bars, so it is toast. Rear is good and round.

I'm hoping either the new front T30 solves the problem, or I need to shorten the links a little more to bring it up a bit. I just don't remember any of my 3 prior FJR's been this much of a hand full in the corners. But then the Gen I and Gen II's handled a bit different. A long time ago....

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, got her all clean and sparkly. Shortened the links to give near stock ride height. Changed the fluids and have a new front tire on the way. Have the aftermarket seat sold, which pays for the above mentioned costs. Recall was done.
I'm still having a problem with the suspension/steering. Might be due to me being used to riding a Super Tenere and 650 V Strom the last 2 years, but she doesn't seem to handle right. I get into a curve and the steering is not neutral. I have to do some serious counter steering. I'm not talking tight curves at speed, but moderate curves and moderate speed.

Had my mechanic check the headset, and he thought the bars were falling a bit quick (I thought they were OK) but not so much to be a problem.. Bearings appear to be set right. The front tire has serious cupping and down to wear bars, so it is toast. Rear is good and round.

I'm hoping either the new front T30 solves the problem, or I need to shorten the links a little more to bring it up a bit. I just don't remember any of my 3 prior FJR's been this much of a hand full in the corners. But then the Gen I and Gen II's handled a bit different. A long time ago....
I would guess most of your poor handling is coming from your worn front tire. The steering was getting awfully heavy on my 2013 this summer with near 9000 miles on my PR2s. It felt like I had to wrestle it out of corners when I was goofing around with it out on my training range.

Yup, put me on that bandwagon. Increased steering effort is a byproduct of worn tires.

A squared off back tire will also do this to some extend, so don't overlook that possibility too.

A fresh set of skins will probably restore the nimble turn-in and effortless line-holding that you remember.

Tried the new tire and all is good again. Handles like I remember. Looks like I have a keeper......for awhile. Eighteen bikes in ten years---so many bikes, so little time. I may ride it to EOM instead of the S10.

Thanks for all the advice.