Does anyone here also own a GL 1800 & FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gumby

Reaction score
I own both a Gl 1800 and a FJR; great combo of bikes to have in the garage. Yes it makes one smile each and every day I have to decide. Now my question. Do you use one com system for both or have two separate systems (one for each bike)? I would like to only have one set of helmets to transfer from bike to bike and be compatible with the com system.

Thanks for any advice.

Gumby

Gunslinger has both, he uses nolan helmet, he uses autocomm on the Feej I know for sure not exactly sure what he uses on his GL though

:huh: I thought the GL was proprietary... regardless Ed's or J&M :search: should have an answer.

I don't have a Wing but 3 of the riders I work with do. They use J&M headsets for their Wings so your best bet might be to look at the J&M CB/audio system for the FJR.

Don't know if I'm allowed to do this, but check with the goldwing riders at gl1800riders.com Lots of them have FJRs and they might just hang out more on that forum. (I was asking them about the differences between a gl1800 and an FJR and lots of them said the FJR would not steer me wrong, hence why I ended up here and will be here for a while....hopefully....)

Alexi

I've had both a 05 GW and now a 09. I put about three times as many miles on the FJR as the GW - it's just a two-up bike for me. I can't answer your question as I'm not a believer in intercoms. I go by the old adage that it's a great way to spend a day with your wife without having to talk to her! Oddly enough, she agrees!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had both a 05 GW and now a 09. I put about three times as many miles on the FJR as the GW - it's just a two-up bike for me. I can't answer your question as I'm not a believer in intercoms. I go by the old adage that it's a great way to spend a day with your wife without having to talk to her! Oddly enough, she agrees!
When I ride solo I wear ear plugs just to drown out the world. There is nothing better than a cool Monday morning ride through the back roads to get my BP going for the week. However, my GF loves her music and is a "communicator" so that is why I am doing this. We do get out two up on the FJR on the weekends so there is why I am trying to avoid getting two com systems for two bikes. I will figure something out here soon, right now between work and family stuff we have not been able to get out for a couple of weeks.

Thanks.

I had both at the same time..

Use the GL on board system.. I had Autocom gear in my helmet. the big online GL store has adapters to make them talk. The I put an Autocom system on my FJR (For sale BTW it is a PRO 7) Then I could use the Autocom on both.

I did not care for the JM setup. I did not like cutting my helmets for speaker installation. That is why I changed..

The Autocom is MUCH better at noise rejection on the Mic

Use the GL on board system.. I had Autocom gear in my helmet. the big online GL store has adapters to make them talk. The I put an Autocom system on my FJR (For sale BTW it is a PRO 7) Then I could use the Autocom on both.

I did not care for the JM setup. I did not like cutting my helmets for speaker installation. That is why I changed..

You have choices.... For a wired system, I agree with the above. You can listen to music too but you'll find the Autocom speakers not so great for that (but not awful). Edsets speakers better, but mikes are crap.

However, I'm now wireless with Scala Rider Q2's. Mikes are perfect. Pair them together for intercom communications, or get a buddy to buy one and talk bike to bike (and your passenger too). But, be aware bluetooth is still a flawed technology. Music will be tinny due to small speakers (worse than Autocom) and is mono. There are other bluetooth headsets out there that are stereo, but they are way more expensive.

You have choices.... For a wired system, I agree with the above. You can listen to music too but you'll find the Autocom speakers not so great for that (but not awful). Edsets speakers better, but mikes are crap.

However, I'm now wireless with Scala Rider Q2's. Mikes are perfect. Pair them together for intercom communications, or get a buddy to buy one and talk bike to bike (and your passenger too). But, be aware bluetooth is still a flawed technology. Music will be tinny due to small speakers (worse than Autocom) and is mono. There are other bluetooth headsets out there that are stereo, but they are way more expensive.
Ahh, I was wired..BUT the speaker thing I solved (yes autocom speakers bite).. Autocom has a lower cord that allows you to plug in the standard earbuds. I plugged in ER6i and took the speakers out of my helmet all together, That left the mike active.

I wanted to go wireless.. But never got around to it

I have both. Bought the Goldwing last month primarily for two up riding as my wife finds the FJR uncomfortable. For the FJR, I use Starcom, Zumo, custom molded ear phones all with a full face helmet. On the Wing I use the J&M with helmet speakers with an open face helmet. Even though I have the built in GPS on the Wing, I do use the ZUMO on the Wing. The Wing GPS lacks the bells and whistles of the ZUMO. Using the ZUMO on the Wing also allows me to hear my MP3's.

Latest posts