EarthX battery install issues

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkooterG

Purveyor of Crooked Facts
Reaction score
Has anyone installed an EarthX lithium battery in their FJR?  I am having some issues based on their terminal location and design and am wondering what anyone else did for a workaround.

EarthX points to the ETX18B as the replacement for the FJR. Is that what you have skoot?

~G
Yup.

I have two issues with the fitment.  One is because the terminals on their battery is on the centerline.  It's surprising how little the stock FJR battery cables want to move.  I'm not crazy about putting stress on the FJR battery cables to get them to move to the terminals.

The second issue I will have to post photos for.  The negative FJR cable end has a metal fixture with a 90 lip, or bend.  The EarthX battery terminal is not high enough.  I suppose I could go get some washers, but what a PITA every time you have to disconnect.

I was expecting something a bit more plug-n-play for a freaking $216 battery!  The Shorai I bought years ago was way easier to install.  And also, the cheaper Shorai comes with a much better foam kit for making the custom fit than the EarthX.  I'm waffling between returning it and getting a new Shorai, or making it work.  I really want the advanced battery management system of the EarthX vs. Shorai, but replacing a battery shouldn't be this difficult!

Here's the better way to deal with the ground wire terminal. The EarthX comes with relocation adapters for the terminals. That tab that points down can be worked around by mounting the cable terminal under the adapter and then mounting the adapter to the terminal. The alternative is flattening the tab (pliers, vise, etc.) or cutting it off. A similar approach could be used for the positive terminal, but it's less problematic. Mine has been in the bike for 6 years without issue.

The EarthX has built-in charge management so a plain old Batter Tender Jr. works fine, should you choose to use one. Sorry I can't post a picture. Anyone desiring a picture send me an email ([email protected]) and I'll send it to you.

Thanks for posting up Rich.  For those unaware, RichDoyle had spoken well of the EarthX on one of the other forums and is one of the reasons I got the EarthX.  I just read some PMs from him that answered my questions to him.  He pretty much posted the content above.

But Rich you are incorrect about using the relocation bracket on the negative terminal.  That bracket has a threaded hole to accept the bolt for the negative terminal.  If you put the negative terminal below the adapter bracket then you would negate the purpose/intent of the threaded hole and would have to put a nut below that.  Another major PITA imho in a limited work space area.

I am not crazy about modifying the FJR's negative terminal.  For many perhaps not a big deal, but I don't want to do it and don't think I should have to.  This is a battery.  It should be a plug-n-play easy-peasy swap.  Especially for the price.  Like the Shorai was.  And like the Anti-Gravity battery will be.  So yes, I will be returning the EarthX and buying the Anti-Gravity.  Just a few more $$$, but still comes with a battery maintainer system and even has the nifty re-start function in case you over discharge your battery.

One other thing, Rich you mention being able to use the Battery Tender Jr. which is true, but it won't work if you over discharge the EarthX.  According to their website if it goes into over discharge protection mode, you need one of the fancy Lithium battery chargers to get it out of it.

[Admin Note: Please accept my apology. I accidentally deleted the wrong message so the one right after SkooterG's needs to be reposted.

PLEASE folks, use the REPORT button instead of sending PMs with descriptions of what message you're referencing. The REPORT function creates a direct link to the message so I don't' fuck up like this.]

Thanks for posting up Rich.  For those unaware, RichDoyle had spoken well of the EarthX on one of the other forums and is one of the reasons I got the EarthX.  I just read some PMs from him that answered my questions to him.  He pretty much posted the content above.

But Rich you are incorrect about using the relocation bracket on the negative terminal.  That bracket has a threaded hole to accept the bolt for the negative terminal.  If you put the negative terminal below the adapter bracket then you would negate the purpose/intent of the threaded hole and would have to put a nut below that.  Another major PITA imho in a limited work space area.

I am not crazy about modifying the FJR's negative terminal.  For many perhaps not a big deal, but I don't want to do it and don't think I should have to.  This is a battery.  It should be a plug-n-play easy-peasy swap.  Especially for the price.  Like the Shorai was.  And like the Anti-Gravity battery will be.  So yes, I will be returning the EarthX and buying the Anti-Gravity.  Just a few more $$$, but still comes with a battery maintainer system and even has the nifty re-start function in case you over discharge your battery.

One other thing, Rich you mention being able to use the Battery Tender Jr. which is true, but it won't work if you over discharge the EarthX.  According to their website if it goes into over discharge protection mode, you need one of the fancy Lithium battery chargers to get it out of it.
This is a re-post, as Bounce accidentally deleted it:

Mount the cable terminal underneath the adapter, bringing the bolt from underneath, also. There is no need for a nut.

On the EarthX site they list several options for bringing the battery out of its over-discharge protection state. It does not require using a special charger for all.