Edit: Does Cruise Control return to "Zero"?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boyitgobob

Reaction score
Years ago I installed an Audiovox cruise on a Vstrom and there was one thing I didn’t like about it. That was how the throttle grip constantly moved (due to the mechanical cable connection) when I was trying to keep my hands warm with grip heaters. Constantly fighting or trying to anticipate grip movement was a pia.

Watching a Tracer GT YouTube tonight, the reviewer said the throttle grip returned to the “zero” position when cruise is set. Is this how the FJR gen 3 cruise functions?  Does it take a lot of movement to override the cruise?

Yup, FJR throttle behaves just like the Tracer. Doesn't take too much movement to override the cruise. When planned, I always grab a bit of throttle before canceling the CC to minimize the sudden deceleration of a closed throttle.

~G

Years ago I installed an Audiovox cruise on a Vstrom and there was one thing I didn’t like about it. That was how the throttle grip constantly moved (due to the mechanical cable connection) when I was trying to keep my hands warm with grip heaters. Constantly fighting or trying to anticipate grip movement was a pia.

Watching a Tracer GT YouTube tonight, the reviewer said the throttle grip returned to the “zero” position when cruise is set. Is this how the FJR gen 3 cruise functions?  Does it take a lot of movement to override the cruise?
As escapefjrtist says, there can be quite a step deceleration when cancelling the control.

The "official" way to cancel is to use the switch that responds to pushing the throttle tube to below its normal closed position. This obviously precludes having a bit of throttle on when it releases.

Putting a brake on or pulling the clutch lever to cancel both somehow feel "wrong" if you are easing on a bit of throttle. These two are also the same with the Audiovox, although with that you didn't need to open the throttle, just hold it. As a slight aside, I did modify my Audiovox-equipped 2010 front brake lever so that the brake light came on before any braking effect to at least allow a smooth cancelling using the brake lever without brake retardation, written up here as part of my installation.

Being privileged to have a Gen 3 (3.5? 4?) YCC-S FJR, when cruising in 6th my usual relaxed and smooth way of cancelling is to ease the throttle on, then use the gear-change switch to attempt to change up. This gives the smoothest cancellation with no side-effects. Even if not in 6th, that bit of throttle gives a smooth up-change (as well as a slightly surprised look under my helmet) even if that change wasn't what was wanted.

Edited to add that overriding takes very little throttle movement. At any normal speed (obviously I can't admit to any experience above 70 mph in the UK, or 130kph (about 80 mph) when on continental Europe, there's less than perhaps a quarter throttle, so not much more needed to accelerate from there. 

That is one of the things about the FJR cruise control that caught me off guard. If you are running on cruise, and need to accelerate, you have to really be aware that the throttle grip needs to travel quite a bit farther than you would normally use to get the acceleration going.

And the grip does not move when the bike is accelerating/decelerating on hills, so your hand doesn't have to readjust.

That is one of the things about the FJR cruise control that caught me off guard. If you are running on cruise, and need to accelerate, you have to really be aware that the throttle grip needs to travel quite a bit farther than you would normally use to get the acceleration going.

Are you riding in Touring mode? 'Cos mine accelerates normally in my usual Sport mode. Another reason you might think that is, since you are cruising, you are likely to be in a higher gear than you might otherwise be using.  

If you are running on cruise, and need to accelerate, you have to really be aware that the throttle grip needs to travel quite a bit farther than you would normally use to get the acceleration going.
The grip needs to travel from zero to "current speed" plus whatever you want on top of that for acceleration, so yes, there is obviously a little more travel than if you are not on cruise