engine specs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

commtrd

Reaction score
I don't recall having seen the rated torque and horsepower ratings for the FJR. I do think the FJR represents the best value for the money from my research. It would be great if Yamaha would market and sell the bikes in a more customer-friendly manner though. I would love to test-ride, sit on a bike, etc. before committing to a purchase. The website does not state the hp and torque values.

However it seems everyone on the forum is near-ecstatic with their bikes as far as I can tell. Let's see...I won't be needing a screaming eagle race tuner, a 95" kit, new pipes, new air intake, a dyno tune, floating brake rotors, etc. etc. to bring the bike up to modern standards of performance, which also implies the bike is ready to rock right out of the box pretty much? Will a FJR run well on regular unleaded?

Actually I think the Harleys are awesome looking bikes, but the business person in me just can't handle the price and then having to spend a huge chunk of change to bring it up to par compared to say a FJR. Since I can really afford just one bike right now, it's going to have to be the best one for the bucks...

How to find available bikes at a reasonable cost or do I have to wait for the '07 PDP?

Well, if you let us know where you are, locals may be able to direct you to a nearby dealer who has 'em on the floor.

Test rides are prolly only available at a way, way cool dealer or at a MC event where Yamaha'll give demo rides. Course, you could show up in Reno for WFO and ride the demos that are supposed to be on hand.

As to specs, 145 HP at the crank. 93 ft-lb of twist. 87 octane (R+M)2 is just dandy.

Clicky for more knowledge, Grasshopper

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, if you let us know where you are, locals may be able to direct you to a nearby dealer who has 'em on the floor.
Test rides are prolly only available at a way, way cool dealer or at a MC event where Yamaha'll give demo rides. Course, you could show up in Reno for WFO and ride the demos that are supposed to be on hand.

As to specs, 145 HP at the crank. 93 ft-lb of twist. 87 octane (R+M)2 is just dandy.

Hailing from sunny south Texas...Corpus Christi. Intended use for the bike is commuting around 2000 miles a month to Houston and back. I would be riding at night frequently and probably get caught in some weather occasionally as well. I didn't want a ride that is too light due to having to ride in close proximity to tractor-trailer rigs...they will tend to blow a bike around some. A huge plus is ability to run on regular unleaded.

Thanks for the help. Appreciated...

Hailing from sunny south Texas...Corpus Christi. Intended use for the bike is commuting around 2000 miles a month to Houston and back. I would be riding at night frequently and probably get caught in some weather occasionally as well. I didn't want a ride that is too light due to having to ride in close proximity to tractor-trailer rigs...they will tend to blow a bike around some. A huge plus is ability to run on regular unleaded.

Thanks for the help. Appreciated...

Check out "Regional Ride Planning", "Texas" and ask around for a good dealer, or check with D&H in 'Bamma.

The best dealer, hands down, no questions asked in the Texas area is Yamaha Sportscenter in Texarkana (think they also have a branch in Longview....). Many, many of us have bought our FJRs there from Tony O. and his crew, and I've yet to hear a negative word about the services they provide. Look in the dealer section at the bottom of the forum... Tony regularly gives us the lowdown on what's coming down the pike from Yamaha on this board, under the name lotecredneck.

If you just need a bike to sit on, there's ton's of us in the Houston area... In a 10 mile radius around my house I can probably think of at least half a dozen FJRs, maybe more.

Hailing from sunny south Texas...Corpus Christi.
I'm also from CC (actually Rockport) and temporarily in FL. I was down there looking to purchase and found out there was very cool dealer w/ sweet deals in SA (Yamaha of SA clicky) recommended by an FJR forum member i met in CC at BAF. Talk to Robert - sales dude.

Wherever you go, best of luck on the purchase and keep us informed on your progress.

gitterdan

Torque and specs firgures are all over the place ad nauseum, and listed above for your enjoyment. A FJR is a Sport Touring bike, no problem on the freeway, sharing with big rigs, etc., just give it a little right wrist when necessary. The headlights on the FJR are commonly referred to as 'dual lasers', and some of the best (the best?) in the industry in stock form never mind more powerful bulbs or other such aftermarket assists. The bike likes regular just fine, a waste of money using higher octanes. Enjoy, and I believe you will have little trouble finding an 06 at a dealer close by, never mind a used '06 or other year if you so desire.

Latest posts