Error code 19

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Now do you fix transmissions on GL1800's?"

I'm a lectric guy, transmissions be scary stuff. :unsure:

I'm sure I could take it apart and put all the parts in coffee cans OK though. :)

I'm sure I could take it apart and put all the parts in coffee cans OK though. :)
Taking the GL to Tampa for a rebuild, mech there back cuts the coggs. Setting me back about three grand to do it but I don't want to scrap my wing. Glad the FJR is holding up, still at 70,000 miles.

It's made by Caig. Pro Gold is the old name. Now it's called Deoxit Gold.

Try a music shop that sell electric guitars and such.
That stuff made my Caig Labs is awesome! I've been using since they called it Cramolin and it came in little glass bottles (which I still have one sitting in my garage at home). It's the best contact cleaner/preservative I've ever used, but it is rather pricey! :blink:

Taking the GL to Tampa for a rebuild, mech there back cuts the coggs. Setting me back about three grand to do it but I don't want to scrap my wing. Glad the FJR is holding up, still at 70,000 miles.
What year Wing do you have and how many miles?

Long story short. At about 65,000 miles I noticed the bike would slip out of 5th gear. I brought it to the dealership but they could not "replicate" the problem. My bike being an 02 with 65000 was out of warranty and I did not have an extended warranty. I called a few other places and they all said they knew of no issues with Gold Wing Transmissions. So I noticed that if I preloaded the sifter it would not do this, I rode for the next three years like this until one day the tranny let go. So now with close to 100,000 miles on it I am stuck with either scrapping the bike or rebuilding the tranny. At Daytona I did talk to a service rep from Mother Honda and he acknowledged that there have been a small percentage of transmission failures on GL 1800. Not enough though to initiate a recall or service bulletin, so Honda is monitoring the situation. The problem is that some transmissions fail in 5th gear others in the lower gears. If it happens during the warranty Honda will pay for the rebuild, but there are only a few dealerships that can do it. Honda just replaces all the gears and fork shifters in hopes that the shot gun approach will fix it. Now there have been a few bikes that 10 to 20 thousand miles after the rebuild the tranny goes south again. I am getting a bit long winded and this is a FJR forum. If you go to GL1800riders.com and do a search you will find more information. Also any google or bing search will lead you there.

Latest posts