Ever Run Out of Gas?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tonopah, Nevada.

This is what's called 'squeeking' it.

100730404-M.jpg

I wanted to find out about how far I could go on reserve so I decided to do a distance test.

I was just under 20 miles in the “flashing bar” zone while going down a steeply declining, low-level (maybe 15’ tall) hill that ends abruptly at the intersection of a four-lane highway. It’s the kind of hill dirt bikers appreciate cresting if ya know what I mean. When, all of a sudden, not even halfway down the hill, the bike “just died”. I mean freaking “died”. Quick check of the kill switch even though I knew I hadn’t it. And I knew I still had fuel because I could hear it sloshing around in the tank. Rolling restart, while still descending, in a higher gear didn’t work either. Neither did tapping the starter as I reached the bottom of the hill. Anyway, I sat there at the base of the hill near the intersection for a few minutes allowing the fuel to level off in the tank. After that, it started and I headed to the gas station.

Thanks for all your replys and all the rasberrys which I knew I would get. I did search extensively and did not find anything to the extent of my question.

Thanks for the input.

I wanted to find out about how far I could go on reserve so I decided to do a distance test.
I was just under 20 miles in the “flashing bar” zone while going down a steeply declining, low-level (maybe 15’ tall) hill that ends abruptly at the intersection of a four-lane highway. It’s the kind of hill dirt bikers appreciate cresting if ya know what I mean. When, all of a sudden, not even halfway down the hill, the bike “just died”. I mean freaking “died”. Quick check of the kill switch even though I knew I hadn’t it. And I knew I still had fuel because I could hear it sloshing around in the tank. Rolling restart, while still descending, in a higher gear didn’t work either. Neither did tapping the starter as I reached the bottom of the hill. Anyway, I sat there at the base of the hill near the intersection for a few minutes allowing the fuel to level off in the tank. After that, it started and I headed to the gas station.
Shok,

I appreciate your response... so it is rather tricky and unpredictable at this last bar, even when you do have fuel. It gives me an idea of what to expect should this situation ever happen to me.

Thanks again.

You coulda gone another 20 miles!
Possibly, especially on the flats. But I decided on a “I don’t have to worry about walking” limit for me here in somewhat hilly country. :bike: On a side note, I use a calsci tall shield, and I know one of my riding friends gets better gas mileage on his 06 with the stocker shield.

Shok,I appreciate your response... so it is rather tricky and unpredictable at this last bar, even when you do have fuel. Thanks again.
I copy 03, “rather tricky and unpredictable”, as there are many variables.

You coulda gone another 20 miles!
Possibly, especially on the flats. But I decided on a “I don’t have to worry about walking” limit for me here in somewhat hilly country. :bike: On a side note, I use a calsci tall shield, and I know one of my riding friends gets better gas mileage on his 06 with the stocker shield.

Shok,I appreciate your response... so it is rather tricky and unpredictable at this last bar, even when you do have fuel. Thanks again.
I copy 03, “rather tricky and unpredictable”, as there are many variables.
Shok,

You are right, I too have the CeeBailey large w/flip, and my gas mileage is much different than most and hard to predict. It will run from 28-40 mpg from aggessive city to easy highway with the average being about 35mpg. So there are quite a few variables to consider when it comes to the last bar.

Your input helped alot...Thanks.