Failsafe circuit for FJR computer ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfhound

Wildman
Reaction score
"Not sure about your bike, but tailight wires (for Autocomm power) are not good on some bikes because the computer uses that as a(backup) failsafe circuit." Anyone know if this is true on FJR ('06) ?

Last edited by a moderator:
And if you choose to power a GMRS radio through the Autocom it can draw a couple of amps on transmit. The AutoCom power draw is otherwise not significant.

Not worried about the power draw and don't believe the output of GMRS(has own power plug) runs thru AC. I was warned about linking to same circuit that may be used to back up computer.....A friend with an ST1300 warned me of this and He is way into audio stuff, never heard of it before and will probaby just hook the isolator back into same wire I have coming off talight now for AC. Wonder where others have got their power ? AC recommends taillight wire if I remember right...

A friend with an ST1300 warned me of this and He is way into audio stuff.
Sounds to me like your friend needs to get WAY MORE into bike stuff. :rolleyes:
Well He runs the SOUTWESTRIDES website and also rides a Buell, in the electronics field, & pretty sure He has riding/bike stuff covered pretty well.....

Just looking for a simple answer from someone that knows , the rest isn't helping....Now just another topic that needs deleting.

I just finished installing isolator transformer on the Autocomm & now have loud , clean sound !

I've never heard of this.

Why don't you just install an auxillary fuse box and tap it direct to the battery? It's cheap and seems a better way to add accessories than tapping into other electrical systems on the bike.

Never heard of it either and can't find any info about it , doesn't mean it's not true 'til I hear from someone who knows the elec. system better than I. No need for wires running all over the bike so no fused block for me. 1 tap into fused tailight and one tap into windshield fused wire for always on cig plug - all done....

I put the hot lead of the autocom on the switched side of the fuse to the glove box accessory outlet. AC says it draws next to nothing. I have switched power and didn't have to splice anything. Works great.