Farkle me this highway peg (addition for Skyway)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1064.jpg

This is the type of bracket I was thinking about. The only thing necesarry for this type to mount to my sliders, would be 2 new pieces to fit the O/D of my slider.

We would have to find a donor bike first, as I have one of them '04 vintage models. :D
Ian, any update on this? I'm interested. Thanks.

I ended up tapping Skyway's slider and have a screw on/off peg extender for longer rides. The tapped area also doubles as a camera mount.

If you want to follow this route let me know. as trial and F/up was costly.

The drill bit and tap (correct sizes are approx $35 each). Use a drill press too, free - handing don't come out nun-2-good.

This was my initial idea too.. but the pegs would still be too high up for my bodies comfort. Stilll.. tap and thread, throw a dog leg at it, mount the peg to to dog and call it good to go..
PDR_0314.jpg
I ended up tapping Skyway's slider and have a screw on/off peg extender for longer rides. The tapped area also doubles as a camera mount.

If you want to follow this route let me know. as trial and F/up was costly.

The drill bit and tap (correct sizes are approx $35 each). Use a drill press too, free - handing don't come out nun-2-good.

I thought about drilling hole in my slider to mount the HD highway pegs but I do not see a bolt through those sliders how is it done??

I thought about drilling hole in my slider to mount the HD highway pegs but I do not see a bolt through those sliders how is it done??
First what slider do you have?

Mine are Skyway's Aluminum.

The drill bit I used was a 1 5/32bit from Triumph Twist Drill Co Stock # 91774 Style T9

The Tap I used was a Century Carbon Tap 1-1 1 1/2 Fractional National Pipe (Pipe thread twist)

By using a pipe thread size and twist Items to screw on are easy to find. After I drilled and tapped the slider, I took a pipe plug and drilled through the plug cap. This gave me a connect point for the foot peg. (I also tapped this hole to keep the peg from working its way loose) The size of the hole and tap may very for the peg depending on the peg you choose. I highly suggest using a drill press (I free handed mine and would have gotten a much better look and fit with a press). I was in a hurry to get them on before I did an SS1k the following morning.

I also Experimented with a clamp method, but like the tap better.

Pic0004-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
First what slider do you have?

Mine are Skyway's Aluminum.

The drill bit I used was a 1 5/32bit from Triumph Twist Drill Co Stock # 91774 Style T9

The Tap I used was a Century Carbon Tap 1-1 1 1/2 Fractional National Pipe (Pipe thread twist)

By using a pipe thread size and twist Items to screw on are easy to find. After I drilled and tapped the slider, I took a pipe plug and drilled through the plug cap. This gave me a connect point for the foot peg. (I also tapped this hole to keep the peg from working its way loose) The size of the hole and tap may very for the peg depending on the peg you choose. I highly suggest using a drill press (I free handed mine and would have gotten a much better look and fit with a press). I was in a hurry to get them on before I did an SS1k the following morning.
Did you need to enlarge the hole before tapping it? And does this drill bit fit in a regular drill? That's a huge bit. Given that some of us on this forum are not as mechanically inclined or skilled have you considered offering this drilling and tapping (for a fee of course) to those of us who are less skilled? Thanks.

Did you need to enlarge the hole before tapping it?
Yes

And does this drill bit fit in a regular drill?
Yes

Given that some of us on this forum are not as mechanically inclined or skilled have you considered offering this drilling and tapping (for a fee of course) to those of us who are less skilled? Thanks.
No

As I said a drill press would be the best way to do this, I currently do not have one.

The easiest route to follow here, would be to ask Skyway to send his Sliders already drilled to 1 5/32.

His are already close to this but need to be slightly overdrilled.

Skyway - If you are interested I could send you the tap and bit so you could send them out with the option of being pre-tapped.

(A nice set of drill pressed I.E. straight sliders would be a nice swap for the tools) hint hint :rolleyes: