Finally bit the bullet...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJR_Mikey

Reaction score
Well... I finally decided to quit screwing around and pass the prerequisite pictures of dead Presidents for a Helibars triple clamp and risers.

Let me tell you...

This is without a doubt, the best money I've spent on this bike to date. The riding position along with the repositioning of the bar angle that this set-up provides is 100% better than I had with standard block risers. While the cost was considerably more than the GenMars I had on the bike, the pay-off is worth it. The riding position is a lot more neutral and I believe it cut out the handlebar vibration as well. Rode for two hours today and for the first time, my fingertips didn't get numb. I'd like to thank all the people on this forum that posted information on this set-up. I read it all before finally deciding to get the HB. Hopefully this post will help someone like me that's been sitting on the fence. For reference, I'm 6'2", 33" inseam.

I have no affiliation with the company.

heli1.jpg

heli2.jpg

heli3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
They look great. I have GenMar risers now and am trying to come up with the money to buy that setup. I've had the GenMar for almost three years and thought I would be content with them, well I'm not. They definitely help, but I'm still not satisfied.

They look great. I have GenMar risers now and am trying to come up with the money to buy that setup. I've had the GenMar for almost three years and thought I would be content with them, well I'm not. They definitely help, but I'm still not satisfied.
I hear ya K! I told myself after every ride that my GenMars were all I needed and I just needed to work on my riding posture. Well it was all crap! Sometimes money can buy you love. If I would have waited until I had the spare money laying around, I'd have never done it. In the words of Tom Cruise... "Sometimes you gotta say - What the F#$K"!

Did you do your own installation, if so, were there any issues? I purchased my '09 in mid June and I'm considering this upgrade. This is my first sport touring bike and I'm loving it. I rode many different older 900/1000 Kawasaki's for many years; I still have a '77 KZ1000 LTD. I traded in a 2005 Road Star Silverado for my FJR because I wanted something different to ride after 31,000 miles on the Roadstar. I am looking forward to riding many miles on the FJR.

I took it to a guy that has a small shop near me to put this one on. I didn't have a drill press to drill the ignition lock pins. I looked at the instructions and they seemed straight forward, but I was leery of messing around with the ignition without the right tools. Took him about an hour and a half to install it. There are quite a few guys on the forum that has done the swap themselves, so maybe one of them will chime in and provide install details.

On a side note... I had a 2004 Roadstar myself before the FJR. I miss the cruiser sometimes for just scootin' around town. I'm chomping at the bit to pick up a Yamaha Raider as a stable mate for the FJR, but my wife will kill me in my sleep if I get one.

Nice setup , but have a question on the risers, are they genmars on the Heli T-tree. Or is it all Heli ??? Also any problem with lines & cables ???

It's all Heli. The GenMars will not work with the Heli clamp. The risers are an extra $70. Plenty of room for full turn of the bars on the cables. They're at the max stretch now though. Couldn't go any further back or up and still maintain slack with the stock cables.

Nice looking set-up!

Regarding the installation. It's not too bad if you have a socket for the stem nut, a center punch and sharp drill bits. Take the original triple clamp off the bike, secure in a vise, center punch the theft proof switch bolts and drill off the heads. Begin with a pilot hole and it will take a couple drill sizes to remove the bolt head.

--G

+1 on the Helibars! Bought them just a few weeks ago here on the forum from Niehart and installed them before a 2200 mile trip. This paired with a Russell seat, and I could have easily doubled that mileage in the same amount of time. The last day of our trip, I rode 700 miles back home and didn't have any soreness to speak of.

Josh

+1 on the Helibars! Bought them just a few weeks ago here on the forum from Niehart and installed them before a 2200 mile trip. This paired with a Russell seat, and I could have easily doubled that mileage in the same amount of time. The last day of our trip, I rode 700 miles back home and didn't have any soreness to speak of.

Josh
I'm right behind you on the RDL. I bought a Sargent set-up just a while ago and while it's much better, it still ain't getting 'er done. I'm going to try to jump in on the group buy started over on the GL1800 forum. May later sell the Sargent or just keep it as a spare.

Josh
I'm right behind you on the RDL. I bought a Sargent set-up just a while ago and while it's much better, it still ain't getting 'er done. I'm going to try to jump in on the group buy started over on the GL1800 forum. May later sell the Sargent or just keep it as a spare.
I only have the stock seat to compare... but there is a whole new love for this bike with the RDL seat! :love:

Josh

Well you answered one of my questions. The Helibars will work with a Ram-Bone. I got asked that question once but wasn't sure.

Now I know,

Thanks,

Dave

Check out these funky puppies Helibars is coming up with. Reviewed this month in Rider, both in a ride article and as a product review. Out for the Connie 14 right now, FJR coming soon, but about $700, ouch!

https://www.helibars.com/product/new-multi-adjustable-handlebars-c14

For the Connie, they include replacement hydraulic lines as well, I'm sure something similar will be needed for the FJR.

I've got riser blocks now, but it's not enough. But I'm in on the Russell group buy, and I'll wait until the Russell is here before making another change to the bars.

Check out these funky puppies Helibars is coming up with. Reviewed this month in Rider, both in a ride article and as a product review. Out for the Connie 14 right now, FJR coming soon, but about $700, ouch!

https://www.helibars.com/product/new-multi-adjustable-handlebars-c14

For the Connie, they include replacement hydraulic lines as well, I'm sure something similar will be needed for the FJR.

I've got riser blocks now, but it's not enough. But I'm in on the Russell group buy, and I'll wait until the Russell is here before making another change to the bars.
That is truly a trip!! Thanks for sharing. I don't think I'll ever need that much. The standard Heli is good enough. That really is amazing though. I watched the additional videos they did for the cruiser set-up. Amazing...

Well you answered one of my questions. The Helibars will work with a Ram-Bone. I got asked that question once but wasn't sure.

Now I know,

Thanks,

Dave
It also works well with a BigFoot as well. Did you notice that in the picture?

Heli is coming out with a system that allows a whole bunch of bars and positions. It is out for the Connie with the FJR to follow. The new Rider magazine has them written up on page 79. Called Horizon ST but they are going for 695.00! They sure look nice but man what a price!

I would question Heli on making a new riser setup, as I don't see them dumping the plate & redesign it for a bike that is due for an up date.

I would question Heli on making a new riser setup, as I don't see them dumping the plate & redesign it for a bike that is due for an up date.
Well you can call and question them.

Heli Multi Adjustable Bars

They are in fact not revamping the Heli riser plate, but this product that they offered for cruisers, it is called 3-D, and allows a infinite adjustment forward and back on the grips along with the bars. 6 inch pullback if you want it. As I read it is all ready on the Connie and Rider had a write up on the Connie with them in the same magazine. The add the Connie review points to explicitly says now available for the Connie and the FJR and Honda, with a few other bikes being designed for and available soon.

I like them a lot but the price stops me cold.

And I would not hold my breath for a update on the FJR anytime soon. Heli is going after units sold, and on the street, not on any projection or wishful thinking on FJR updates. I am sure they will adapt with very minimal re tooling if that happens.

I'm another satisfied customer of this setup, did it about a year ago and never looked back. Also got myself a Russel, that and the Heli's have rounded out my comfort to "Top Notch."

You don't need a Drill Press to replace the triple clamp, a center punch, drill, and patience will work fine.

Latest posts