First Long Trip - SW Run

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BackintheSaddle

Reaction score
So I am planning my first long ride on the new 09. I will be taking the fun route to Alpine, CA from (near) Colorado Springs, CO. I have the route planned out to avoid as much interstate as possible and am looking for any suggestions, must sees, avoids, etc. I've not driven through the Navajo Nation before (ever) and am curious about the Hwy 160. :clapping:

Planned Route

Get with BeemerDons or SkooterG, that's in thier neck o the woods. I have not been on that particular strech of 60. Hope you like desert! I do recommend Canyon De Chelly if you have not been there. Get some fry bread while your there!

Greg

Last edited by a moderator:
The cops in the the Navajo Nation seem to be somewhat strict so, I tend to keep the speed down and enjoy the sights.

You'll pass right by 4-corners, gotta get a pic.

It is somewhat remote riding- carry a tire repair kit and don't count on cell service.

Have fun, looks like a great ride!

So I am planning my first long ride on the new 09. I will be taking the fun route to Alpine, CA from (near) Colorado Springs, CO. I have the route planned out to avoid as much interstate as possible and am looking for any suggestions, must sees, avoids, etc. I've not driven through the Navajo Nation before (ever) and am curious about the Hwy 160. :clapping:
Planned Route

If you could make an alteration: I would highly recommend Springerville, AZ down to Morenci/Clifton - the Coronado Trail (used to be called The Devil's Highway). Just an awesome road, high elevation, big Ponderosas (reminds me of my home turf in Montana), almost no traffic, great scenery... Must watch for wildlife: there are numerous elk and muleys. The southern end gets very twisty where "you'll see your own taillight." Very fun section, but early in the season there will still be some sand in the corners, so be careful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I am still fine tunimg the route and watching the weather forecast. I twitching to go! Was going to take a "warm-up" trip today but it decided to snow, dang it! :glare: <_<

Dang spring snow storms....!!! truck was sliding all over the place this morning. Couldn't imagine being on the skoot :eek: :eek:

.....and I'm supposed to leave in the morning :angry2: :glare: :angry: <_< :angry2: