Firstgear Laguna GPS Tank Bag with Backpack

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks pretty good to me but I'd make sure the magnets can "float" so you can adjust their positioning better. Some bags have the magnets sewn in fixed spots and they don't fit as well.

I have that bag. The flip-up GPS holder is too small for all but the smallest GPS units. It barely holds my old Samsung Galaxy S cellphone inside (which does triple duty as a GPS/MP3 player/SMS annunciator) and so it essentially forcing me to leave the holder unzippered for the headphone jack to be inserted. The second zippered device holder is even less useful. A good idea, poorly executed. You're better off getting a dedicated RAM mount for your GPS on the handlebars that places your GPS in line and adjacent to your instrument cluster.

I have a Rapid Transit Recon 19 tank bag. I made two modifications... took a soldering iron and burned a hole just above the right front corner, from the inside to the rain cover compartment and then through to the front, and then put another hole at the back of the cell phone pouch. I run a short SAE 4-1 splitter into the bag, then hook up feeds to my GPS and GoPro back out through the hole, and to another USB power converter that runs to a 4-port hub. I charge my tablet and phone and GoPro wireless remote from the hub, and run the phone USB cable through the factory wiring hole and then up to the cell phone. I leave the phone compartment partially unzipped to keep phone temps low. I also run a Camelback bladder in the bag. My sunglasses and wallet fit in the side pockets.

Having water, power, a phone (via Cardo helmet-mounted headset), and GPS keeps me on the bike and riding. Some Power bars or beef jerky and I can ride for a tank without stopping... about 240 miles, for me.

I have the Firstgear Monza bag, very similar to the Laguna but without the GPS holder. IMHO, you're much better off mounting your GPS by itself on a Ram Ball or other mount. The ability to detach the bag from its base sounds better than it works. After using the bag as a backpack (the backpack straps are very nice, BTW), it is very difficult to reattach everything back together. The bag is very high quality, but pretty pricey. I think there are better choices out there for that kind of money.

More thoughts on the Firstgear Laguna GPS Tank Bag. With the GPS transferred over to a RAM mount externally instead, the flip-up device pouch can be relegated to housing the MP3 player from the elements and allows it to be stood up closer to my eyeball sight line so I can aim my finger at the PAUSE/PLAY button. It's still too sketchy having to look down at anything more detailed than that. The bulging side pouches can accidentally tap the emergency flasher button while maneuvering parking lots. That hasn't occurred on the street or highway, put you should beware not to bump one of those aftermarket plastic wrist relief paddles that clamps to the throttle in parking lots which might be better left off or rotated out of harms way. Putting gas requires fiddling with the magnet placement after you gas up. It's interior capacity is good. You can unzip the bag away to reveal a large map pouch. I use the horizontal second windowed pouch for a backup GPS/HD radio that's also protected from the elements. Overall, not bad, but not great either. It's better than nothing.