Fishing Rod Attachment to the FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelhead

Reaction score
I want to ride the scoot to my favorite rivers across the state and want to take one of my steelhead rods with me. Broken down, it is 6' long and I have no idea on how to secure it to my bike. Does anyone have a good idea or is there something I can buy to make this work? TIA

I want to ride the scoot to my favorite rivers across the state and want to take one of my steelhead rods with me. Broken down, it is 6' long and I have no idea on how to secure it to my bike. Does anyone have a good idea or is there something I can buy to make this work? TIA
At 6' I think I'd try and go vertical ala a CB antenna.

jim

FJR_Golf.jpg

Just add a caution flag and don't get rear-ended.

Me thinks a six foot trailer would do the trick.....then you don't have to double back to restock up the beer, eh?

At 6' I think I'd try and go vertical ala a CB antenna.

jim
I was thinking this may be my best option also. When I go I have the bags and trunk to use to somehow secure it upright I guess.

I am not sure about having a 6' spear hanging off the rear end ready to impale (sp?) me if somebody taps it from the rear :blink:

Hmm, I am thinking duct tape and bungy cords...

Maybe buy a piece of PVC pipe, and use one of the passenger footpegs to somehow anchor the bottom.. then secure the upper portion near a grab rail. slide the rod inside the PVC tube, and make sure it won't bounce out...

Broken down it's till 6 foot long? That's a long rod..

I did more or less what Groo mentioned , I have a "rod case" that holds several rods and is just under 5 feet. I used a short bungee cord on the bottom, lashing to the front mount area of the passenger peg/floorboard, and then used another cord around the forward sidecase mount . I wrapped the case with some foam padding where it contacted the sidecase and side panel so it would not wear a spot.

Now, I have a few rods that break down into four sections, and come with their own case. At about 28 inches long , I just bungee it across the front of the top case, or along the side of the grab rail when I have a passenger.

As a Cheap Bastard , my method is to get a pvc "T" large enough to slide over the foot peg & that the butt of the rod will fit. Slide it on the foot peg (upside down), stick the rod in it & bungee cord the upper portion of the rod to the bike. Rides real stable. Make sure any hooks or lures are secured well. Just remember it's there when you get off the bike & don't hit it w/your foot :) .

Maybe buy a piece of PVC pipe, and use one of the passenger footpegs to somehow anchor the bottom.. then secure the upper portion near a grab rail. slide the rod inside the PVC tube, and make sure it won't bounce out...
I carried a 10-foot pole on mine. Start with one end anchored at the rear foot peg, stand it up, and bungee the hell out of it.

I carried a 10-foot pole on mine. Start with one end anchored at the rear foot peg, stand it up, and bungee the hell out of it.
he was talking about a fishing pole....geeeezzz :p

Thanks for the tips everybody. Going to head over to Lowes after work tomorrow and pick up some "supplies".

Last edited by a moderator:
The fishing rod isn't the real problem! That will be the fish you catch, if it's as big as the one in your picture!

I have a 7', hand polished, walking stick that I strap down exactly like above when hauling it on the bike. Just be aware of those behind you.