FJR as a tow vehicle!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRGuy

FJR Rally Addict! :D
Reaction score
Is anyone, or has anyone considered, towing a trailer with the FJR?

I certainly would not want to do this as a usual practice but am considering it for the run up to the lakehouse. Ideally I'd like a hitch that removes completely, quickly and easily, for the 99% of the time I don't need it. Just wondering if anyone else has thought about this.

Hmmm, no way that can be legal! Block your plate in Kalifornistan and you will be having a chat with the POPO.

Neat ides though.

The removing quickly part is probably not gonna happen. The hitch frame attaches using bolts that are part of the pillion pegs and muffler brackets, along with some subframe attachment points, if I recall correctly stuff I've seen before. The thing becomes part of the bike.

Hmmm, no way that can be legal! Block your plate in Kalifornistan and you will be having a chat with the POPO.
Neat ides though.
Thats why the nice folks at Motor Vehicles invented trailer plates! :rolleyes:

Have found several manufacturers than have/can/will produce a hitch for the FJR. Costly (IMHO) and UGLY!!!! Maybe it's time to fire up AutoCAD Inventor and design something better. Anyone have base models of the FJR? :unsure:

Sure you can tow with an FJR! Heck if a

can tow car, I don't seen why an FJR couldn't tow at least a subcompact!

There's always this option: Uni-Go Trailers. There's a hitch listed for the FJR.
Maybe its just me but I kind of like the looks of those. Probably wouldn't even know its back there and it sure would increase the carrying capacity.

Bill
I'm with you. They're certainly not cheap, though.... (So the towing weight would be between ~23lbs empty and ~60lbs full. Yeah, I doubt an FJR would even notice!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Is anyone, or has anyone considered, towing a trailer with the FJR? I certainly would not want to do this as a usual practice but am considering it for the run up to the lakehouse. Ideally I'd like a hitch that removes completely, quickly and easily, for the 99% of the time I don't need it. Just wondering if anyone else has thought about this.
Search for "trailer" you will find alot of info. In particular:

Trailer Thread

Go down to post #9 and you'll see pics of my rig. Works great. The hitch stays on, but I've never found it a problem. The whole rig certainly helps on the longer trips when your on the road for a couple or more weeks. My usual M.O. when using the trailer is to travel to a given area, then stay in one area for a bit and ride. That way I can leave the trailer at the campground or hotel and go out and enjoy the twisties without lugging it around. Also provides a place to lock stuff up when I am away from the campsite.

Hope this helps

Colin

Go to Bushtec trailer web site and look in the gallery to find a picture of my '03 with a hitch and trailer. Bushtec also has a hitch for the Gen II bikes since the bags were moved inboard. I have pulled my Bushtec trailer with my '03 and my '07 without any problems, cruising down the interstate at 75 mph 2-up without any issues. Pulled thru the Blue Ridge mountains without any problems, just give yourself additional stopping space.

Latest posts