FJR Forum Alps Extreme M/C Tour; August 8-15 of 2012.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got around to going over to the super mailbox and picked up my paperwork.

I also looked into flights and found a good rate with Air Transat flying directly to Munich from Toronto.

They only fly once a week into Munich so it looks like I'll fly out on July 31st and spend a week around Bavaria before jumping on the bike.

I'll then return home on Aug 15th just in time to jump on the FJR and head out for NERDS. We have a plan.
https://www.heh.de/default.aspx?lang=en Guten Tag, Wilhelm! I will be in Munchen staying at the Hotel Europaischer Hof, right across the street from the Main Train Station from Sunday night August 5 through Tuesday night August 7. If you are in Munich during that time, come over and join up with me touring Munich, I spent two years there and know it very well. The HEH is located at Bayerstrasse 31, 80335 and the telephone number is +49 89/551510

Say Old Buddy, is that huge giant snow tunnel built up in front of your front door yet up there in The Great White Frozen North? If so, can you help out tu Papa Chuy Viejo?

I know you travel worldwide quite a bit, Iceland and other exotic locations. If you're snowed in, could you use your resources to find an inexpensive fare for me? I want to fly into Berlin from Phoenix on Wednesday, August 1st; and then fly home to Phoenix on Wednesday, August 15. You know I'll buy you beers and Crown Royal for your efforts!

https://fahrplan.oebb.at/bin/query.exe/en?ld=5&seqnr=1&ident=6z.020969166.1322489804&GO_conViewMode=outward&HWAI=JS!ajax=yes!&HWAI=CONNECTION$C0-2!id=C0-2!HwaiConId=C0-2!HwaiDetailStatus=details!HwaiMoreDetailStatus=none!HwaiAdditionalInformation=none!HwaiConnectionNumber=3!;~CONNECTION$C0-2!HwaiMapStatus=UNDEFINED!HwaiMapNumber=UNDEFINED!HwaiMapSlider=UNDEFINED!; I will be taking the high speed express ICE train from Berlin to Munchen, so no air travel needed there. Six hours riding First Class, drinking Dunkels the whole way! Jawohl, es geht mihr gut!

Last edited by a moderator:
https://fahrplan.oebb...der=UNDEFINED!; I will be taking the high speed express ICE train from Berlin to Munchen, so no air travel needed there. Six hours riding First Class, drinking Dunkels the whole way! Jawohl, es geht mihr gut!
There's no way you are riding first class. You would have a hard time making it on the train as baggage. :p

As to flying to Berlin you could re-enlist and let the US Military fly you to Berlin for free.

Not snowed in yet. I might even go for a ride along the lake later today.

As a lurker who has lusted after this trip but cannot make it happen I would like to offer my barn for bike storage for anyone coming cross country. I am in Rhode Island, about a 45 mile bus trip to Boston (180 to NY). If there is any interest drop me a PM.

As a lurker who has lusted after this trip but cannot make it happen I would like to offer my barn for bike storage for anyone coming cross country. I am in Rhode Island, about a 45 mile bus trip to Boston (180 to NY). If there is any interest drop me a PM.
https://www.azbeemers.org/forum/index.php?topic=3470.0 Dear cota95, would you be interested in extending this very kind offer to my fellow AZ Beemers, who are booked on the Alps Extreme Ride? I don't know if any would be riding cross country to start this Alps trip from Boston, but there is always the possibility of that with these BMW whackos.

Thank You and Sincerely,

Don Stanley - BeemerDonS

1-480-440-4666

[email protected]

https://www.azbeemers.org/forum/index.php?topic=3470.0 Dear cota95, would you be interested in extending this very kind offer to my fellow AZ Beemers, who are booked on the Alps Extreme Ride? I don't know if any would be riding cross country to start this Alps trip from Boston, but there is always the possibility of that with these BMW whackos.

Thank You and Sincerely,

Don Stanley - BeemerDonS

1-480-440-4666

[email protected]
Wackos are wackos, all are welcome

I came across this video of riding in the Alps & the Dolomites that will help get me over the winter months...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVKPNyUoc8Y
Thanks Bill, that's a great one! If it makes you feel any better I used my Widder heated vest for my 1K ride to over to Southern California this weekend. Not quite Ontario, Canada is my guess though, huh?

Thanks Bill, that's a great one! If it makes you feel any better I used my Widder heated vest for my 1K ride to over to Southern California this weekend. Not quite Ontario, Canada is my guess though, huh?
We had a mix of rain & snow but no salt on the roads yet. If I get a decent day I might get out for one more ride before I pull the plug on the riding season.

Great minds think alike. I also have a Widder heated vest along with the chaps & gloves.

I speak fluent German and lived in Austria for 2 years during my college days. I've also made several trips back to the heart of the Alps and can't get enough. If the club wanted to sponsor some or all of my trip in exchange for my "expert interpretations", I'll be more than happy to ride along :) . All cheekiness aside, when is the go/no-go deadline for this trip?
Nice try DZ, but 3 of our signed up riders also speak fluent German; I lived in Augsburg, DE for 2 years.

Right now we have 10 deposit paid riders, so we get the 5% discount. When we get 12 riders, we then get our maximum 8% discount. I am in favor of closing off the applications when we reach 12 people.

Right now we have 10 deposit paid riders, so we get the 5% discount. When we get 12 riders, we then get our maximum 8% discount. I am in favor of closing off the applications when we reach 12 people.
8% would be nice. Who's teetering on the edge right now, Don? Let's push 'em over. Agree a group of bikes can get too large.

8% would be nice. Who's teetering on the edge right now, Don? Let's push 'em over. Agree a group of bikes can get too large.
I guess I could tell you SacramentoMike, but then we'd have to kill you! I can't mention any names, but one couple lives in Albuquerque and the others are Dan and Zee.

CURRENT ALPS EXTREME ROSTER AS OF 12/13/11:

AZ Beemers

Uri Schumm

Bob Flanders

Bruce Cain

Gary Miller

Dave Cooley

Don Stanley

Daniel S. Hedore

FJR Forum

Mike Dawson

Bill Fitkowski

Tom Cale

Miss Pam

PLEASE NOTE: We are now at eleven participants, one more person joins up on the Alps Extreme Tour and we all receive our 8% group discount.

Woo Hoo! Hey, thanks for keeping the updates coming, too, Don. Nice to keep seeing this thread in the "New Posts" most days. Reminds me to think about this trip coming up in 178 DAYS! :yahoo:

('Cuz I really need to be reminded.) :rolleyes:

Woo Hoo! Hey, thanks for keeping the updates coming, too, Don. Nice to keep seeing this thread in the "New Posts" most days. Reminds me to think about this trip coming up in 178 DAYS! :yahoo:

Not that it matters Mike.. If nobody reminds you of your name daily you wont know it's you that was supposed the have been there when the pictures show up... :blink:

Not that it matters Mike.. If nobody reminds you of your name daily you wont know it's you that was supposed the have been there when the pictures show up... :blink:
Why don't you sign up and be the 12th man, BJ? 8% off. And then YOU can remind me about the trip. Every day. And of my name, too (it's Sacramento Mike, in case you also need to be reminded).

Why don't you sign up and be the 12th man, BJ? 8% off. And then YOU can remind me about the trip. Every day. And of my name, too (it's Sacramento Mike, in case you also need to be reminded).
WHAT are you thinking???

Having Bustanut show up at German Customs would be enough to have the whole group thrown into the clink before we even get a chance to turn a wheel in the Alps. We would then have to pull a Steve McQueen to jump over the fence to break out and make a run for the border.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ccVu992CYE

If you need to be reminded of who you are, just look at your driver's licence every morning when you get up. It works for me. ;)

Hmm......... Seems Bill remembers Extreme Marines ride report from this summer and our crossing into Canada..

Guess they don't unnerstand 'merican humor..