FJR Forum Decal design

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps consider two versions of the same image. One light and one dark. Black, full fairing bikes are harder to distinguish between brands in real life.
1688557386842.png1688557306417.png

No trunk.
Lighter color on main panels for better contrast.
If these are 3" across, then I can see why the need for the simplified design.

I agree - no top box needed, and too cartoon-ish and needs more color. More photo-like or sharper contrast would be nice. Just an opinion - thanks!

My initial first glance said Goldwing before I started examining it.

I would also say that it should have no top box or the OEM one. I understand you may not be allowed to use the Yamaha or FJR logos on it, but if you can, it would make it more recognizable.

Hi all
We are having a FJRForum decal designed. Below is the design. It is based off a few photos that members have shown on the forum. What do you think? Does it look enough like the FJR?

Hi all
We are having a FJRForum decal designed. Below is the design. It is based off a few photos that members have shown on the forum. What do you think? Does it look enough like the FJR?

Hi all

It’s okay, it looks a little cartoonish though. I’d have probably taken a photograph and manipulated it to get the look I wanted.

Hi all

Hi all

Just goes to show you cannot please everyone, I would just lose the top box.

Meh, in the end.....none of this matters. Put a cartoon of an elephant on a ball. Noone cares.

I am involved with the Yamaha XJ Owner's Group. We had lawyer dogs come after us claiming intellectual property infringement because a) we used the word Yamaha in the group's name and b) there was an image on our website that included a flag incorporated a tuning fork emblem similar to Yamaha's.

We were able to beat them off on a) because the word "Yamaha" was necessary to differentiate from "Jeep" and "Jaguar", both of which produced models named "XJ" and the use of the term to designate a model of motor vehicle predated Yamaha's use.

In the case of b), the photo was not used to promote the website, it was an image of a motorcycle captured in a public setting, and the flag itself was not made by nor represented our group. We pointed out that they would have to take up that issue with the other group. (Regretably, due to the historical nature of the photograph, we were unable to provide any contact information for that group. So sorry, we'd love to help, but... <lol>)

We did agree to a disclaimer on the website indicating there was no affiliation, etc. etc. But it was a year of hassle, time and expense.

Mind you, Yamaha is not the only motorcycle manufacturer with trigger happy lawyers. When Honda finally got around to trying to trademark the Gold Wing name, they discovered the Gold Wing Road Riders Association had beaten them to the punch. So Honda tried to sue the GWRRA.

I would strongly advise against incorporating a tuning fork emblem in any symbol that will be used to represent the group. In keeping with the generic but original image (some called it "cartoonish", but Yamaha can't claim IP infringement on an original drawing), maybe a little generic circle where the tank badge goes?

That's just my 2¢, but you asked...

I think it was one of Big John's get togethers where he ran into a lawyer attack soon after making up tee shirts incorporating the tuning fork and Yamaha name. How they even found out was impressive. Some were curious why they wouldn't be happy with the free advertising. Imagine if HD went after every tattoo out there? :p

Well wow Cycle, you sure generated some activity here. Apart from what you're asking though can I ask what the plan is for these decals? Will they be distributed here somehow to certain members or maybe made available for sale? Why are you asking?

Appreciate the attempt but….. Next

A few tweaks (as previously mentioned) and you may have something

Status
Not open for further replies.