FJR Fuel Filter?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woketman

Reaction score
I was reading some topics in this forum tonight and I happened upon the one where the very talented Alex is cutting up and re-welding his FJR's tank to increase tank capacity. In the discussion, someone mentioned that the only filtering in the FJS was a screen in the tank and that anything that gets past said screen would possibly enter the pump and injectors. Is this true?

I ride an '06 AE. Can anyone confirm that there is no filter, or if there is, tell me where it is? If there is none, would it not be real cheap and easy insurance to simply install one, in-line??

Thanks FJY dudes and dudettes.

Go Saints!

Gen I and Gen II -- no fuel filter. There is a sock/screen in the fuel pump and it is designed to be non-replaceable. One of the few people that have had a problem with the filter is RadioHowie, but in his case the problem went way, way beyond just the filter.

OK, so does it make sense to put a cheapo in-line replaceable filter in front of the pump/filter piece described on page 41? Seems like you could have a really bad day due to some crappy gas....

It only makes sense if you want to fix problems that do not exist.

Nobody has reported a problem with this other than Howie and his was because he somehow rusted the inside of his tank.

Yeah, he paid his dues with that experimental fuel he tried, what with it being so corrosive and all . . . . . . :p

He's the kind that would strap on a homemade rocket to run down a hill on a sled.

If he knew what a hill was.

Or a sled.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, that sounds good. You have convinced me that the addition of another filter is folly. My lazy ass did not wanna do it anyway!!!

OK, that sounds good. You have convinced me that the addition of another filter is folly. My lazy ass did not wanna do it anyway!!!
Adding another filter really isn't a terrible idea...but you MUST use one designed for EFI. You can blow out a filter designed for a carb'd engine. That pump puts out 36 psi, if I recall.

I have put one of those high-pressure pyrex filters on my FJR after my fuel pump issue. I put it in NOT to filter the gas, but to keep an eye on the overall cleanliness of my fuel system. Put in on the high-pressure side of the fuel path, just off the fuel pump outlet. The filter sits comfortable in the little valley between the fuel rail and front of the airbox. A quick glance tells me if the filter media is nice and clean and white, or reddish/brown and in need of changing.

Here's what happened to my fuel system.

The stock "filter" (screen) on the fuel pump is that rectangular thing on the bottom of the fuel pump, plainly visible, and plainly clogged up in picture #2. It's almost exactly like one of those foam filled, nylon scrubby things you use at the gas station to clean bugs off your windshield.

Oh Fred, I didn't rust out the inside of my tank, Mother Nature did. :finger:

Exactly how the heck are you going to do that?
+1 :rofl:

Just 'cause Skoot didn't 'splain it, the pump is inside the tank, immeresed in the gas, kinda like a pump in a boat bilge. It's not like there's a fuel line running to the pump that you could stick a filter on.